First To Find Prizes

LionsFan

Hundred dollar bills and krugeraands are greatly appreciated (and yes, those were actual FTF prizes for some extraordinary caches in Texas). But that is the RARE exception.

Many caches don't have a FTF prize. The find is the prize. Others add a special certificate, or a piece of swag that may be related to the cache theme, if there is a theme. Gift cards to B&N or a local restuarant are favorites. $10 or $20 would be generous. It depends on your budget.

I just did a forum search, up in the header with a magnifying glass icon, and found some really good suggestions in the following older threads:

First to Find Prizes

Best and Worst Items Found in Cache is a good thread with hints to avoid the bad and give the best...

First to Find Prize, What do I leave?

First To Find Reward

FTF Prize?

Hope this helps some! I noticed that each of the above threads had really helpful ideas, yet different folks responded each time the topic was brought up. I'm sure we'll get some nifty new ideas this time, too, but didn't want you to miss out on some "historical" helpful hints! :o

Its up to you. I rarely put FTF prizes in my caches but the few times I did, I used Geocaching.com hats, a Petzel headlamp and a pair of binoculars. The first two were worth around $15 and the last was $30.

Also you should be aware that, though FTF prizes are nice things to leave, they are not a requirement. In fact only small percentage of caches have them.

Thanks, briansnat. It seems the folks here in Syracuse like to include FTF gifts and I'd like to do the same. I think it also helps get people out to new caches. I'd like to reward the first cacher in some small way.

Also, I was cracking up reading the best/worst cache finds...what a hoot! :o

The best FTF prize: being first to find!

I've seen many people who don't often go for, or get, FTF complain about those who will go out at all hours for a first to find, and ask why they should get the prizes. The funny thing is, at least with many of the FTFers I've come across, that the first finder takes only the bragging rights and leaves the prize (if there is one) for the STF. I'd say that it is better to to regularly upgrade the contents of your cache than to include one fancy FTF prize.

My personal favorite FTF prize, though, would be a geocoin, Jeep, or travel bug (activated or unactivated). But then again, I recently found a cache for which I was first finder after it had been reactivated (not FTF overall). The hider left a $10 bill in it, but I didn't take it. I left it for the next cacher. :o

Edited by fauxSteve

LOL fauxSteve. Good point!

Last weekend I was FTF on a regular cache (after FTF on 5 dadgum micros) that consisted of an ammo can. I was just so delighted to find a clean log book to scribble in, I literally forgot to check the swag to even see if there was an FTF prize. If there was one, oh-well, I am still happy.

I had not thought about it too much, but being FTF is certainly prize enough.

Edited by Jeep_Dog

Good point about the FTF being a dud to some folks regarding the prize. I hadn't thought about that. However, I think I have placed some good swag in the cache so it shouldn't matter who gets there first. Shoot, I've had more fun putting this thing together and I'm excited to get it out there! Thanks to all for your helpful input. :D

I have several caches where I placed some FTF prizes. I never list the trinkets which I start with in the cache (it'll change as soon as it's found anyway), and I never announce that I have a FTF gift on the caches' page (with the exception of a cache I shared in placing - it had 20 "gold" dollar coins). Since I enjoy the outdoor caches I have left "Survival Kits" and "First Aid Kits" (each costing me $10-$20) clearly marked as FTF - No trade necessary. After the cacher has hiked a few miles for that first find I figure they could use an award. I don't do FTF prizes in all of my caches so don't go running just because I placed a new cache somewhere. :D