Garmin Gpsmap 60c Vs. Gpsmap 76c

Geovius

I am planning to get or (Perhaps correct term would be...) drooling after a new GPS. I am also considering to jump into the Garmin camp. I have been looking those two models mentioned in the topic. Now I ask help from you.

What is the actual difference between those two models.

I know that 76 has more memory. Do I need more memory or can I cope reasonable with less? How about screen quality any comments on that or general

usability, I mean for example keyboard layout of 76.

Thanks! :ph34r:

You might have some ideas of this recent discussion on the top level forum:

GPS Units and Software

With search you'll probably find much more.

I chose 76cs over 60c because of the bigger memory (which is now full of Topo Suomi (Finland) maps from GT4, 7 and a bit of of 3 areas). So the form factor I didn't need to consider, and the price difference was't that big (abt 80e for 76cs over 60cs).

I guess one gets fine along with 60c as well. Sometimes you'll just need to download other set of maps to cover your trips. I barely have that need now, unless travel more and purchase new maps.

The electronic compass of 76cs I thought could be handy, and think it is. Barometer/altimeter was more like nice to have gadget. Of course it's nice when it forecasts weather changes and creates perhaps more accurate elevation plots over your trips.

How about that button layout?

It seems strange, but does it really work?

Edit: Ok, I read some positive comments about button layout. How about your experiences?

What kind of basemap is included in Finnish models or is it general European map?

Edited by TeamMH

I have just jumped from Garmin to Magellan !!

I have had the new unit eXplorist 500 three days now and am still happy with it. It is fairly compact, a bit bigger than eTrex, however alot smaller than previous Magellans. I have had time to make only one caching trip with it and it seemed to be very accurate.

With a 128MB SD card (20€) installed there will be room for complete MapSend Streets and Destinatinations Finland and still be some 64MB room for Waypoints and smaller maps if needed. I can upload all GC waypoints and only update the new and changed, all will be on the SD card and easy to move by copying or physically on the card if I have any need.

The user interface with the Joystick-like button fits very well to me, but the best part is the file system where I can take move, copy and even edit all the files like in my PC. Both Internal and SD card memory work the same way via USB.

I think you should read the forums about eXplorist. Some people are quite happy with it.

I have just jumped from Garmin to Magellan !!

I have had the new unit eXplorist 500 three days now...

Good caches and other uses with the new unit!

As for Garmin 76C(S), I had my doubts too about the button placement vs display. Still, it works fine for me. Still, I'd suggest that you try it before buying, not just holding but using the features, panning maps and perhaps creating and simulating routes, all GPS makes and models considered that you find interesting.

My old GPS II+ screen orientation can be changed to vertical so it can be held exactly the same way as 76c, but I've hardly ever used it this way even when hiking :o I've used it horizontally on dashboard, bike handlebar a.s.o. With 76cs I'm stuck to the vertical position.

My unit has Americas basemap, so I cannot comment maps of Finland/Europe :P Still my opinion is that there aren't much practical uses for basemaps (If you travel from coast to coast or border to border, you can do that without GPS basemap as well, and for more detailed coverage you'll need better maps and POI info anyway, preferably in laptop PC). There are some differences between manufacturers, at least Magellan does not recommend using detailed maps without correct basemap.

There are some differences between manufacturers, at least Magellan does not recommend using detailed maps without correct basemap.

Yes, I also got the recommendation from Normark Finland that the BASEMAPs should be available and not removed, but does it make any difference if the additional memory is as cheap as SD cards are today ??

The market price for a 256MB SD card in FINLAND today is around 25€ !! Compared to the price of the internal memory in any device, I think it is very reasonable. You will be able to fit a large detailed TopoMap in one 256MB card.

Soon it will be a real problem that the devices cannot handle the data available, cards will easily take the TopoMaps of complete country size of Finland but the processors in the devices cannot process this amount of data, or at least it takes hours.

There are some differences between manufacturers, at least Magellan does not recommend using detailed maps without correct basemap.

That's true due the fact how Magellan handles the maps.

If I have some other maps loaded into the Garmin's memory and I zoom out enough which map is shown basemap or detailed? In Magellan I would see the only internal basemap and if I zoom in enough detailed map kicks in.

Question is how Garmin works?

Garmin works exactly the same way. E.g. with Topo Suomi maps (most areas with the Lapland being perhaps exception), the detailed map ends when screen width coverage is about 37 km (8 km scale bar shown). When you zoom out to next level (12 km scale bar, about 55 km wide), the base map is shown (or world map :o ). So basically the same recommendation applies to Garmin, too.

EDIT: With the World map I don't mean that suddenly all the continents would be displayed, but rather US model lacks all details except country borders and seas. So it's easier to pan across Finland with Europe basemap. I doubt that there are specific specific models for Finnish market.

Edited by mikahe