2005 Jeep Tb's Back From Gwiii!

I don't know if they're widely available yet but bthomas, TeamAlamo and I brought back some of this year's Jeep TBs from GeoWoodstock III in Jacksonville. They're much bigger and white this time -- which should stop Ben from logging them in the Yellow Jeep locationless!

Here's the new icon...

whitejeep.gif

and a shot of a new Jeep TB...

16651265_70f7334a05.jpg

Also, great thanks to the NEFGA guys for an amazing event. Big fun was had by all.

Dave

Edited by dgreno

Yep, we had "just a few" WJTB's to hand out at GeoWoodstock. It was a lot of fun to surprise everyone with that announcement, and meeting everyone as they went through the Jeep line. Remember, the Jeep Travel Bug portion of the contest IS open to Florida residents! And a sneak preview distribution of Jeeps helped to drive that point home.

Because it was a sneak preview, the White Jeep Travel Bugs can't be logged online until the contest's official launch date. This was explained by OpinioNate in his announcement.

Here are some pictures that mtn-man took of the Jeep distribution and the long line of geocachers waiting for them.

f9c3ccc3-3662-4643-8493-7c63e9cf2328.jpg

e5651e34-185d-4ef0-80ca-f0c4b628ef58.jpg

a5d1abe4-849b-4810-8bd1-5407629dc6d0.jpg

Edited by Keystone

Because it was a sneak preview, the White Jeep Travel Bugs can't be logged online until the contest's official launch date. This was explained by OpinioNate in his announcement.

I didn't hear that part, but it was hard to hear everything anyway. They needed a bullhorn, lol! Thanks for the info.

Thanks for posting the pics Keystone. :o I put them up pretty late last night. I took a couple of pictures of an old yellow Jeep (one that had no tag) next to one of the new white Jeeps so people could see the size. The new Jeeps are cool since the metal die cast is better and they are larger and more detailed (like the grill for example). The doors even open on the new ones. I think the target date for the Jeeps getting into the system is about a week or so.

f9214763-6b10-4057-b61e-58b7d52c13f8.jpg

179d00df-7cef-43d1-971c-0e60819c0e71.jpg

You are right it looks like. The ones in your link are 9.5" replica jeeps with hoods that open and operational steering, etc. The ones used for travel bugs are smaller and only have side doors that open. The larger ones probably would only fit in a few caches but these are small enough to fit in a wider variety of caches.

EDIT: After a quick search, I found the exact model.

http://www.maisto.com/product_detail.asp?prod=982&from=66

Edited by mtn-man
On a related topic, I've been trying to find out who won the sweepstakes from last year and can't seem to come up with anything. Does anybody know where to look?

I don't know who they were. Here's the pertinent info from the contest rules, but it does look like it is too late to find out that info now.

For a list of winners (available by 2/28/05) send a self-addressed, stamped,

envelope by 12/31/04 to: Jeep 4x4 Cache-In Adventure Sweepstakes Winners, c/o

Rodale Inc., 733 Third Avenue, New York, NY 10017. Questions regarding this

sweepstakes should be directed to: Legal Department – Sweepstakes, at 33 East

Minor Street, Emmaus, PA 18098. Sponsor is not liable for any prize to entrants

who have violated these official rules. Prize values in U.S. currency.

For those of you that were not anywhere near GWIII this weekend, not to worry. There are lots of jeeps to still be shipped. They will be going out to state reps all week!

How do you decide who receives the jeeps for the state?

GASP!! Jeep oughta be ashamed! :wub:

It has round headlamps and labeled as a Rubicon (a TJ model), but the roll cage is CLEARLY from a TJ (square headlamp) model! :wub:

:D

This year's Jeeps are definitely an improvement upon last year's...which I'm sure will mean they are going to disappear even faster than the yellow ones. :wub:

For those of you that were not anywhere near GWIII this weekend, not to worry. There are lots of jeeps to still be shipped. They will be going out to state reps all week!

We have no State reps in Illinois and especially no formal group in Chicago. Any chance that some Jeeps could make their way here this year? It would seem to make sense to market their products here. Maybe that's just goofy, sorry.

It's a tough decision, the placement of that White Jeep - some far distant bushwhackers cache? One of my own? Randomly dropping it in the first cache we find big enough for it? Hand it off to a friend? too many options - I'm waiting to log it I think, til June 6 like Nate said - time to contemplate. Sorry I ddin't get back in line for the few seconds that were given out, mostly for a friend who arrived late and got none.

Thanks for bringing them, it was a nice added bonus to a fabulous event

For those of you that were not anywhere near GWIII this weekend, not to worry.  There are lots of jeeps to still be shipped.  They will be going out to state reps all week!

We have no State reps in Illinois and especially no formal group in Chicago. Any chance that some Jeeps could make their way here this year? It would seem to make sense to market their products here. Maybe that's just goofy, sorry.

Illinois received a fair number of jeeps last year. I am unsure how none of those ever made it to Chicago. Maybe everyone took them out of your state, or you had some anti-jeep contest cachers who started grabbing them up as soon as they were dropped. They had that problem in a few areas, and it is something that I cannot regulate.

Lots of jeeps have been shipped to Illinois, they should be finding their way into caches by late next week.

An overseas question: Is there the slightest chance some of those TB:s will make it over to Europe (preferably Sweden) before they vanish off the face of the Earth? Anyone planning a journey? I'm a sucker for icons!

There was a couple from Sweden at GW3 - Bo & Elisabeth and if they grabbed a Jeep TB then maybe they will circulate it back home.

In case anyone asks, there will at least 3 in Ontario (maybe more if the other 2 teams grabbed one).

Speaking of the jeeps "disappearing" and since I am new to geocaching as of a month or two ago, am I to assume that the average cacher that finds one of the jeeps does not log it into the system and keeps it for himself/herself?

Should the diecast jeep be removed from the TB tag so the TB is kept in circulation and a "lucky" finder (not a thief) gets the Diecast jeep?

Also, does the contest have anything to do with logging the TB or is the contest only for those who register on the jeep.geocaching website?

The contest details will be announced on June 6. In the meantime the Jeep Travel bugs will be treated as normal Travel Bugs. They are not meant to be kept but moved on to the next cache.

Funny I swear I heard Nate say they were going to go for a good price on E-bay....

In all seriousness I want to thank Groundspeak again for providing everyone with a jeep that was at GW3 (and don't worry Jermey, Nate made it sound like you were EXTRA busy as to why you could not make it :)

Just an interesting tidbit, but we just gave every White Jeep Travel Bug a name. We had so much confusion over the numbers last year (mostly due to a number being stamped on the underside of the vehicle) but really we wanted folks to remember which Travel Bugs they picked up.

Every name is unique, though many are variations of other names. heh. I'm sure your name is in there since there are 5,000 of them. Here's my name.

Just an interesting tidbit, but we just gave every White Jeep Travel Bug a name. We had so much confusion over the numbers last year (mostly due to a number being stamped on the underside of the vehicle) but really we wanted folks to remember which Travel Bugs they picked up.

Every name is unique, though many are variations of other names. heh. I'm sure your name is in there since there are 5,000 of them. Here's my name.

TOO COOL!!!

Now I have a name for my jeep Scott! Love it!

:)

Pair O Dux

NC

I thought you named cars after women. Ah well, these are strange times we live in now. I found my namesake and bookmarked the page, but I think my ambition will be to log the "Dagwood" Jeep. Too bad there is no "Blondie" :)

I'm also happy to report there is no "Bono" Jeep either, but some of those names sound funny to me. But these are strange times...Use this link to browse the names, just type "White Jeep" into the keywords.

5000 names and no Jonathan? My son will be crushed....:)

It will be interesting to see if this will affect the disappearence rate. Altho how it could get worse than the yellows I'm not sure. :)