New 24 Hour Caching Record?

Just as a side note here I have personally cached with Geo Pirate and Team Huskie and they have some experience with this type of caching. They also hold the record for most caches in 24 hrs in Germany. I believe he told me it was 102 or something along those lines in a much less cache dense area.

Having worked with some of the behind the scenes planning for GeoPirate and Team Huskie prior to the run I can say that that the Beaches run that was refered to was also the first 12 hours of the World Record Run. That being said there are hours of planning that goes into a run like this nothing is left to chance.

One other thing that is helpful on a run like that is all the cache maint that goes into preparation for Geowoodstock so the cache logs are dry , caches are in place and usually guarnteed to be there.

This run consisted of one driver and one navigator/ record keeper and GeoPirate and Team Huskie. I also know from taking to the team after the run that they had about a 14% dnf rate on caches so yes they did have dnf's.

Going for the world record is the pinnacle of fun if you don't mind that style of geocaching.  It's not for everybody!  And oh boy, did we have fun last year in Nashville.  Team Rebellion had fun doing it too, and the Germans were grinning ear to ear when I saw them over the weekend.  Team CHB was having a BLAST tooling around Jacksonville in their caching van.  There were very few logs in the Jacksonville caches I found that didn't already have signatures from Geopirat, Huskie and Team CHB.

Shoot I was having so much fun with Team CHB that I declined a breakfast compliments of the Waffle Fairy. I kinda regret that decision, and must live with it. B)

Here's another record that was set ( I think) most caches found at GW3 with an assist from a JAX County Deputy Sheriff. :lol:

We had one join us at Hook, Line, and Sinker, and spend 20+ minutes helping us get the cache. :P:)B)

I'll link to my log when I get around to posting it. :)

"Maybe someday sholmes' caching skills will progress to the point where he can find caches fast, and his social skills will progress to the point where he will quit insulting people."

Being a lawyer, you should know i never insulted anyone (go back and read my posts) - I just clearly stated that I don't believe the numbers. I have also clearly stated, that you have the right to believe your numbers as well as i have the right to believe what i believe. I also apologized in each and every post. I just can't seem to caclulate what you are calculating - Sorry!

Maybe you could list all 240 (0r 260) of the caches here, so we can caluclate it the odds. I'd be very interested in seeing the distance between each cache, the time it would take to travel to each and compare it against the 24 hour priod - I will be very shocked if it was done without some type of cut corner!

As for skills.... (now who is insulting who) - you gotta be kidding me right. You don't even know me. If you knew my military background, you wouldn't be making that comment. I'll leave it it that.

Again, sorry - and im sorry YOU have to get insulting....

sholmes

Didn't you say you were "done" with this thread?

OK... now adding after catching up with all the posts. GeoPirat has posted a few dnf's on some of our caches. A couple gotchas on them and a few shame on us's. Doubters need to learn a few things. First of all, it doesn't take too much time to get out of a car if you have your mind in it. Second, a little navigation solves problems. Hit all on one side of the highway, and swoop back on the other side. Cutting down on left turns on highways really buys minutes. Third, as your experience grows, you develop geosenses, which can really cut into your time searching. Fourth, on the appreciation of caches: me and my daughter (Agent K)have done a lot of number runs only lasting a few hours each. Those at GW3 can confirm she pretty much remembers each cache she has done with great detail(500+). I can't say the same, but then again, I can't even remember what I had for dinner last night. As for those who appreciate the hitting only 1 or 2, I end this by saying we are about to go out and do just that. Hey, that's the way Agents J and E like this game. Agent K likes the park & grabs. Walking and family time. As for number runs.... I am hoping to hit 800 finds this month in Nashville. I'm going up for the Southern Baptist Convention with our church's choir and orchestra, and hey, gotta have a way to kill time!

Instead of trading barbs (which do appear to be bordering on violating forum rules), why not have somebody who lives near sholmes take on a pure numbers run. I'm sure a few hours would remove any doubts.

sd

I was thinking that very thing. The area around his town is fairly cache sparse, so I can understand a little doubt on his part, but I'm pretty sure you could find enough density within say 100 miles of his home to at least show him 10 caches per hour is indeed quite possible, and quite easy. The hard part is sustaining that level of energy for 24hrs straight, which is what makes these records so impressive. If I forgot to say it before, a big congrats to the German team; I guess when you are the best at something someone is always trying to knock ya down.

I guess when you are the best at something someone is always trying to knock ya down.

In that spirit, didn't the firefighter team do it sans outside support?

I might be confusing them with someone else, but I'd say they still hold the record of the most finds in 24 hours sans support crew. I really do think there is a major distinction between the two.

Disagree away. There were 3 in a sams parking lot... um, the tulips one rings a bell, another on a building box and a postal one (I think). All were like 478-490 feet from one or another... for real, lol!

:grin: I humbley stand corrected. I forgot all about that one because I never found it, I placed it :rolleyes: You are correct, my "Big Brother's House" is in the middle of the Sam's parking lot while "Tiptoe Through The Tulips" is a scant 441' west and "Berkowitz's Dad is going Postal!" is but 448' east. Though I might add that I don't think you could find any of the 3 and mistake it for one of the others because the names are all quite fitting for each hide (I hope you enjoyed finding mine :grin: ).

I guess when you are the best at something someone is always trying to knock ya down.

I might be confusing them with someone else, but I'd say they still hold the record of the most finds in 24 hours sans support crew. I really do think there is a major distinction between the two.

They worked in the same general manner: Previous research, a driver and a navigator etc. I don't think they had a local driver/navigator, although they scouted the area pretty well. The Today's Cacher article describes it. I suppose it is a distinction, but I don't see it as much of one since the method was about the same.

I am still interested in seeing someone set out to claim a solo 24 hour record. It won't be me though! :grin:

Edited by carleenp

Disagree away. There were 3 in a sams parking lot... um, the tulips one rings a bell, another on a building box and a postal one (I think). All were like 478-490 feet from one or another... for real, lol!

:grin: I humbley stand corrected. I forgot all about that one because I never found it, I placed it :rolleyes: You are correct, my "Big Brother's House" is in the middle of the Sam's parking lot while "Tiptoe Through The Tulips" is a scant 441' west and "Berkowitz's Dad is going Postal!" is but 448' east. Though I might add that I don't think you could find any of the 3 and mistake it for one of the others because the names are all quite fitting for each hide (I hope you enjoyed finding mine :grin: ).

I enjoyed all the caches found except for the 3 DNFs and subsequent skips of same owner caches we did as a result. I hate to log a DNF, but I also hate wasting time on drive-bys too. Turns out one we DNFed was found by someone else we know, so it really was there afterall. Don't know about the other 2.

And I wasn't suggesting any of the caches would be confused with one another. I actually thought (at the time) that it must be nice to have such lenient approvers. I know tone doesn't come through with text so well, but it really was just a passing comment not a complaint.

I'm almost sorry I started this thread. It was meant for a confirmation/congratulations thread, not "bashing by the doubters". Some of you need to get out of your little hick towns with 4 caches within 20 miles and get a grasp of the kind of cache density there is in the areas where these records have been set. Just because YOU can't find 260 caches in a day in your home town, doesn't mean it's impossible. While I've never even come close to that number, I have found 30 in part of a day just out caching. If I were to make a trip somewhere like Nashville or Jacksonville, spending time beforehand planning out a detailed route, and run non-stop caching for 24 hours, I'm sure I could easily get a lot more caches than that. 260 in a day? Probably not alone, but possibly with a couple other dedicated cachers to split jobs (driving, navigating, pulling up cache info, etc) with, I might be able to get close to that.

For a little clarification on the density, there are 2455 caches within 100 miles of the GeoWoodstock3 event. About 200 of those are within 6 miles. There are 400 caches within 11 miles of the event coords.

2198 of the caches within 100 miles (roughly, I went from the nearest traditional, .1 from the event) are traditional caches.

When you're talking that kind of cache density, it's a little easier to comprehend how these runs are done. It's not 2 newbies just learning to use their GPS, it's experienced cachers, likely caching paperless, probably with computers tracking their progress along a highly planned out route.

Second, thanks to those who have tried to get this back on topic, instead of a "it can't be possible" bashing thread.

Finally, and most importantly

CONGRATS to the German cachers on their new world record.

first off, congrats to geopirate and huskie, both great guys and cachers. second, i had the pleasure of caching with them and nashville joe and abbysgrammy and our woods on thursday before GW3. they wore me out. we did 80 caches, all the best camo caches in jax, in 15 hours. and they went out caching after i left them. truely amazing. can anyone do 263 caches in 24 hours?? in jax it is not only possible but achivable. sholmes, i'm active duty military, just back from iraq, these guys are for real. planning is everything. and i can attest to them dnf'ing caches, they dnf'ed several of mine. Carstan and Jens, you guys rock. glad i got to meet ya.

sights2c

First and foremost, congrats to Geopirat and Husky. I've met them at both Woodstocks and know they run like maniacs.

In fact, I've met several of the teams posting or mentioned here, know the areas they've hunted in, and have no doubt those numbers can be sustained.

The argument that an organized team can only find 50 in a day if they're touching each other is just plain disingenuous. Looking at my list of finds[1], I see I've broken 45 in a day ten times. None were manic "run around the clock" gigs. All were me, solo, with a GPS (sometimes two) and a PDA. No laptop, no navigator, no tour guide, no inside information. Exactly none of these were planned to be 'attacks' on anything, lest alone records; it was just me playing outside, roaming around the planet, and having fun. Most were in a single area, but a few covered hundreds of miles. (I had a 41 find day starting in south IN just north of Louisville and ending on the south side of Nashville.)

45 8/8/2004 - Elizabethtown, KY to south of Nashville

45 2/22/2005 - Bay Area - didn't hunt much after dark

45 6/6/2003 - Nashville

47 2/19/2005 - Bay Area - didn't hunt much after dark

47 4/18/2005 - Champaign, IL through Decatur, IL and back to TN.

49 8/24/2003 - Nashville

49 9/6/2003 - Nashville

50 2/26/2005 - Bay Area

54 12/30/2004 - Chattannoga. Flashlight for first few, short day, dinner with family.

63 2/20/2005 - Bay Area

I haven't logged GWS-III yet, but let's just say that my top ten list will no longer be dominated by solo hunting. :-)

[1] http://www.geocaching.com/my/logs.aspx?s=1&lt=2 makes it really easy to compute this kind of thing...

The numbers are doable with decent preparation and the right playing field - plus a lot of stamina. It's definitely a serious accomplishment - and I see no reason to doubt it given the history of these types of attempts being well-documented here and elsewhere.

I'd like to see a breakdown of the speed they find them during the day vs. during the night - obviously in a 24-hour period, you've got a lot of darkness, and twilight hours can be especially difficult.

I think I hit 20-something plus one DNF on a 6-hour caching day which basically covered the greater New Orleans area end to end (not all my unfounds, but the majority at the time) when I got back from Christmas vacation. There were plenty of previously found caches in and around the area, but I obviously wasn't re-visiting those. MapPoint will generate the optimized stops - I had it on the passenger seat on the laptop. Mapopolis of course has excellent driving directions - so the electronics play a good part in having the info at your fingertips. If I could do that solo in a pretty relaxed part-day - I see 100 in 24 hours solo as pretty easily doable - in the right area, obviously.

When you've got a team, a lot changes. In an urban area, I think you can't underestimate the benefits of the driver in saving a lot of time, as he/she doesn't have to worry about a lot of parking restrictions - plus they can move the car independently. If you hit a bunch of caches in a park, and the best place to pick you up is on the other side of the park, then the driver just moves the car.

As far as I can tell, the rules (like there are any) are vague on the role of the driver. The team sticks together and I guess they all sign the log, but it seems to me like the driver pretty much stays with the car.

I'd like to see a breakdown of the speed they find them during the day vs. during the night - obviously in a 24-hour period, you've got a lot of darkness, and twilight hours can be especially difficult.

As far as I can tell, the rules (like there are any) are vague on the role of the driver. The team sticks together and I guess they all sign the log, but it seems to me like the driver pretty much stays with the car.

I can only speak for my run. The night is much easier because of less traffic. The strip malls are doable at anytime, but also easier when closed so that there are no pauses to protect the cache from muggles and to avoid traffic etc. But in the end it is all easier at night. And I am night blind! We got soooo stuck at one point in Fourth of July traffic in downtown Nashville during the GW2 run. It is the traffic that kills time. It helps to run one side of a street/area and then go back down the other, and avoid going from side to side, which often makes you have to wait for traffic.

With us, the driver often stayed in the car, but sometimes he got out to stretch or to log a new cache. Generally it is quicker to have a driver who just drives and does not also log finds. Although it matters little since all have to get back in the car anyway and the driver can often do that just as quick. ;)

Finally, and most importantly

CONGRATS to the German cachers on their new world record.

Yep! Congrats to some very nice and fun guys who I know had a good time doing their run! ;)

Congrats to the bloody Germans! :P

I had a great time with you guys on the GWIII4WD run. :D

Hello from Germany!

This is geoPirat. After arriving back home on tuesday and sleeping for 18 hours, I am now back in the Real World again ('Matrix').

Woooooohooooo, we were in cachers dreamland, guys B) .

First a very big thank you (! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !) to all my american friends that made the trip of Huskie and me to Florida a BLAST. We had so much FUN B) , good laughs B) and a great time :lol: with you. Thanks for your congratulations!

I enjoyed meeting old friends and making new friends at my 17 days in Florida.

A few words On Topic:

With the help of local cachers, we were able to break the 24 hours record (short distance run). The final bookkeeping is not finished yet, and we worked only with paper on our record run. The number for the present is 263 found caches in 24 hours, done in a Jeep Cherokee.

Yes, we had local support with planning and a local driver. An extensive article on our run was written by me for Today's Cacher http://www.todayscacher.com/ and will appear in the first printed june edition.

I have the deepest respect for predecessors and for the successors to come of our record run ! Especially for my friends of Team Rebellion that did it WITHOUT local driver and WITHOUT local planning assistance. We met at GeoWoodstock 3, you did a great job and I hope you will succeed in beating our record in some months at Nashville; 300 plus should be possible there!

Our record is just a challenge, not a solid rock - have FUN beating it. Having the chance to beat this record was great; really breaking it was fantastic. Having the help and support of my friends in Florida made it even a better for me.

Yes, Huskie and me are the German 24 hours record holders, finding 101 caches on Halloween 2004 around Hamburg (without local support, without an extra driver). Around GeoWoodstock 2 in Nashville, we found 204 caches in 19 hours with our FANTASTIC local driver Monkeybrad, and we were able to make more than 700 finds (long-range run) in the two weeks around GeoWoodstock 2.

This year around GeoWoodstock 3 we broke our own long-range run record and were able to achieve more than 1050 smileys in a row; the record run being a big help, of course.

How we did it?

- extensive planning (we had preplanned and optimized routes for more than 22 days with us) B)

- excellent equipment such as 3 GPSrs, 2 Laptops, 2 Palm PDAs, 1 PocketPC PDA, 2 Power Inverters, 3 Flashlights, 100 batteries, gloves, 3 Fisher space pens (write on wet logs), many credit cards B)

- an excellent rental car (Jeep Grand Cherokee) that took us trough all of this

- Dr. Peppers, Coke and red Gatorade :D

- and the MASSIVE ABDICATION OF SLEEP :lol: in Florida. We slept for less than 3 1/2 hours per night during our 17 days in Florida, and arrived with a lack of sleep because of the intensive planning and preparation on the last evening after work for the trip (with the freshest Pocket Queries available).

On day 3 of this Florida caching trip I moved up to No. 1 Non-U.S. cacher http://ca.geocities.com/geocachingcanada/stats.html . When Huskie has done his logging, he will be No. 2 on this list (thanks to Ralph for this stat-page!).

But, none of this would have been possible for us without . . .

- the help of local cachers (very much help!),

- the encouragement of our friends along the route,

- the excellent tools like GSAK (thanks Clyde!!!!!), GPXSonar (good job Fabien), GPSBabel (VERY good, Robert) and some more,

- the friendship of you all that kept us going and made this trip a great time.

And Yes, mistakes were made by me in the logging like mentioned here:

. . .

BTW, I see that geoPirat has logged GCGTYC twice.  So even the greatest make slips in a hurry.  (If you log a cache twice, do you score two points?)

The mistake has been corrected, it may not be my nly mistake - Very sorry for that. I'll work hard this weekend to get the bookkeeping done.

Have FUN caching, you are great !

QUOTE (wimseyguy @ Jun 1 2005, 05:30 AM)

BTW, I see that geoPirat has logged GCGTYC twice.  So even the greatest make slips in a hurry.  (If you log a cache twice, do you score two points?)

The mistake has been corrected, it may not be my only mistake - Very sorry for that. I'll work hard this weekend to get the bookkeeping done.

I have no idea how this quote has been ascribed to me, as I cannot even find this date/time stamp in this thread, nor in any of my posts, and I am certainly not one to be a doubting thomas or sherlock :lol: when it comes to this record, or any issue regarding someone else's stats. I had really hoped to be part of the team that tried to break the current record when I was in JAX but wasn't able to make a run for it. That will remain on my to do list for now.

I applaud anyone who shows this dedication to caching in the manner they choose to do so, and fully believe that it was a ton of FUN to be out caching for a 24 hour run!

One question-did you stop caching at hour 24, or just stop counting? :lol:

yeah

my only skeptical comment.......

if 3 or 4 or 5,6,7 people jump out and look for a cache, and ONE finds it, and ONE signs the logbook.........all get credit for "finding" the cache?

I, personally, would never feel right about logging a cache that way.

Regardless, congrats to those of you who put out a huge effort in an undertaking like this, it is pretty incredible what you pulled off.

Edited by GixxerUT
if 3 or 4 or 5,6,7 people jump out and look for a cache, and ONE finds it, and ONE signs the logbook.........all get credit for "finding" the cache?

I, personally, would never feel right about logging a cache that way.

Its a commonly accepted practice. Its done on cache machines and group hunts all the time. I have dozens of finds that were actually first spotted by my wife. I don't see the big deal. We're a team. So were the German guys.

Folks, let me say that the Germans did everything right. Their timing was perfect. They had a dream team of support. Very well executed record.

As the previous record holder ('Team Rebellion' 246 finds, October 2004) I know without a doubt that geoPirate & huskie set the new World record fair & square. Those guys set a new standard for those of us that are interested in numbers.

I do recognize that not all cachers are interested in numbers. That's OK. I like an all day hike in the woods to find a cache as much as a 50 cache drive-up day. To each his own. That's the beauty of this sport.

Believe the numbers and the timing. A 300+ day is certainly possible. In theory, a well prepared team could exceed 350 in 24 hours... perfect conditions, good support, and a little bit of luck.

If you have any doubts, come cache with me one afternoon. I can gurantee you 100 caches in under 12 hours at a pleasant pace. Want more? 'Team Rebellion' will attempt to reclaim our record this Fall. Our goal will be 300+ in 24 hours. We will release our definite date in advance. We welcome anyone to come out for all or part of our run and observe us in action. In fact we welcome any independent documentation.

geoPirate & huskie... those guys deserve the record. They worked hard and planned hard. They earned the record. They have my support for any caching endeavour they might plan in the future.

Keep up the good work guys...

get a grasp of the kind of cache density there is in the areas where these records have been set.

If we had a full 24 hours to devote to geocaching, Blade and I could go for a nice personal record, without straying to far from home. My most recent PQ revealed 134 caches within a 5 mile radius of us! I doubt we could pull off 300 or more, though, I'm too into enjoying the scenery while I cache!

Congrats to the Team, though! Impressive!

First of all, very impressive! Don't know that I'll ever get to that point, but I would love to watch something like that in action! The stories are just amazing!

We're planning on setting a new personal goal in the near future -- 8 in one day! Woo hoo! :laughing:

You think I'm kidding! Here's what we have planned --

-- Drive 2 hours to our old college campus (stopping at 2 caches along the way that are just off the highway)

-- Hit 3 caches when we get there (2 on opposite ends of campus, 1 just off campus)

-- Have a leisurely picnic lunch

-- Get dessert at one of our favorite hangouts and find the cache near there

-- Hit a 4/2.5 star multicache on campus after lunch (may have to hit one of the aforementioned 3 after lunch, too, if we don't have time before)

-- Go out to supper with my sister-in-law (L's sister)

-- Hit 1 more at a rest area on the way home

-- Make it home at a reasonable hour and get a good night's sleep

Very doable, and very enjoyable. Actual caching time would only be a fraction of the entire 24-hours, though. (We generally like it that way.)

Seriously, though. Even in our home area, which isn't very dense, with a little planning, some luck with traffic and weather, and a little more experience under our belt, I could see us easily tackling the 30 that are within 5 miles of us in a day, if we so desired. (Funny, we haven't hit a single one anywhere near our house yet!) If we did it just right, I think we could easily top the 50-mark that was mentioned in a previous post, and we're just a couple of novices.

Again, congrats! And good luck to the next bunch who attempts to break this record. Look forward to reading about you, too!

Edit: Added one -- forgot about the micro near our favorite milkshake place!

Edited by RandLD
263? That seems like a lot for 24 hours, even though they were in a cache dense area. Assuming they were caching the whole time without really going to the restroom and eating on the go and no sleep while caching in the dark, that means the time between finds was a little over 5 minutes! It often takes me 5 minutes to find one, and sometimes more! Even if the caches were within walking distance, this would have been hard to do, and I don't know of anyplace that has 263 caches within walking distance. The most I have ever done in that time stretch was 23, I believe. Realistically, the most I can see one group do together is 60. If this is true, then this record may be harder to break than any record in .

i have to agree it seems a little fishy to me :P who knows maybe they did but i don't think its possible unless they had an extremely large team and only if the split up.

263? That seems like a lot for 24 hours, even though they were in a cache dense area. Assuming they were caching the whole time without really going to the restroom and eating on the go and no sleep while caching in the dark, that means the time between finds was a little over 5 minutes! It often takes me 5 minutes to find one, and sometimes more! Even if the caches were within walking distance, this would have been hard to do, and I don't know of anyplace that has 263 caches within walking distance. The most I have ever done in that time stretch was 23, I believe. Realistically, the most I can see one group do together is 60. If this is true, then this record may be harder to break than any record in .

i have to agree it seems a little fishy to me :P who knows maybe they did but i don't think its possible unless they had an extremely large team and only if the split up.

They did it. They stayed together. It's really not that difficult a thing to comprehend, and it really gets old explaining it over and over again. As I said before, this was supposed to be a confirmation (which we have had) and a congratulations thread, not petty whining from disbelievers. Even they have stated they think the record will be broken, and 300 in a day is possible with a little luck and a LOT of planning.

I did not mean to whine. i am in awe that they accomplished that :P . i just cant believe it. i don't see how it could be done let alone 37 more. i just don't see it. I'm sorry you don't have to explain. i now congratulate them for their feat and i commend anyone who attempts it. good luck to all that try (you'll need it).

I can believe the record, and believe I could do it also if I was in a cache-dense area with local drivers and navigators who knew the area.

It's not like they are driving around looking for the right street. They have someone who knows exactly where to go and most likely knows exactly where the cache is. Just a matter of pulling up and saying 'it over there".

It's cool that a "record" was broken and cool they are into that.

If someone wants to come to may area (and pay for gas), I'll drive them around to all the local caches and see how many records can be broken.

On a related note, I drove 44 miles today and found 1 cache and DNF'ed another

Ed

Hello from Germany!

This is geoPirat. After arriving back home on tuesday and sleeping for 18 hours, I am now back in the Real World again ('Matrix').

Oh man, oh man, oh man!!!!!!!!!!!! :laughing:

I had YOUR Travel Bug at GeoWoodstock!!!! I was going to give it to one of the overseas cachers and forgot. I was thinking either your team or the cachers from Sweden. How amazing would it have been if I had shown you *your* own TBug!!! I just saw your avatar on your post and just about fell off of my chair. I dropped it off today at our GA Geocachers Meeting today and a cacher is taking it to Great Britain next week.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=70506

Wow, what a small world. It is an honor to have gotten one of your TBugs to its goal of getting to GW3. I wish I had read the TBug page more closely saying that you were going to be there. So close! In any case, it is on its way back.

Congrats again. It was a pleasure to meet you in Jacksonville.