New 24 Hour Caching Record?

The team from Germany broke it. When I talked to them at the event, they told me 266 if I remember right but it could have gotten lowered by a few if they found clerical errors etc (plus I could have just heard the number wrong). I also believe another team was trying to break that after the GW3 event, but have not heard yet if they did.

I had a nice visit with the German guys, who seemed to be well rested again by the time of the event. So apparently the lack of sleep didn't harm them. :ph34r: It sounds like they had a really fun time.

Congrats on the new record!!!! :lol:

Edited by carleenp

263? That seems like a lot for 24 hours, even though they were in a cache dense area. Assuming they were caching the whole time without really going to the restroom and eating on the go and no sleep while caching in the dark, that means the time between finds was a little over 5 minutes! It often takes me 5 minutes to find one, and sometimes more! Even if the caches were within walking distance, this would have been hard to do, and I don't know of anyplace that has 263 caches within walking distance. The most I have ever done in that time stretch was 23, I believe. Realistically, the most I can see one group do together is 60. If this is true, then this record may be harder to break than any record in sports.

263? That seems like a lot for 24 hours, even though they were in a cache dense area. Assuming they were caching the whole time without really going to the restroom and eating on the go and no sleep while caching in the dark, that means the time between finds was a little over 5 minutes! It often takes me 5 minutes to find one, and sometimes more! Even if the caches were within walking distance, this would have been hard to do, and I don't know of anyplace that has 263 caches within walking distance. The most I have ever done in that time stretch was 23, I believe. Realistically, the most I can see one group do together is 60. If this is true, then this record may be harder to break than any record in sports.

It is quite possible in dense areas. I am feeling lazy so I won't go seek the prior threads, but you can find a bunch of info if you try a search or two. Basically the caches are generally easy drive up finds and very close together. The team works together so that someone is driving and another navigating. If I have the numbers right, the first record was 238 in Nashville, second was 240 in Nashville, third was 246 in Jacksonville, and now 263 or 266 in Jacksonville. Based on my Nashville run, I think 300 is quite possible there.

Happy Boy, not only is it possible, it has been done several times and is increasing slowly but surely. I did 100 caches in 11 hours and 4 minutes, stopped for lunch for 30 minutes in that time and the last two were across town. That's about 6 minutes per cache for me. I know that carleenp and Leprechauns stopped for 2 hours during their run. If they would not have stopped they could have done about 20 more caches or so.

For the record runs you have a system as carleenp has said. It is well planned and executed with several people where each of them know what their duties are. The density of the location is also an obvious factor.

I almost think that records should be location dependent. Caching in Jacksonville would be different than caching in Nashville and so on. It might be a challenge to go to each city and try to break the run there.

First Congrats to the Germans! Secondly, I agree with the other replies; it is entirely possibly to find that many in a cache dense area. On Friday, me and a fellow cacher found roughly 110 (still working on the logs) but it's very important to have more than one person on a run and each have a specific task. I'm not sure what route they took, but I saw numerous logs during my time there that they had signed.

This kinda reminds me of the folks that hike the whole ( over 2000 mile ) length of the Appalachian Trail in under 90 days. I did it in 6 months. I wouldnt trade my 6 months for those 90 days for anything. It's about quality, not quantity (or speed) in this persons humble opinion.

Cheers

Mudbone

This kinda reminds me of the folks that hike the whole ( over 2000 mile ) length of the Appalachian Trail in under 90 days. I did it in 6 months. I wouldnt trade my 6 months for those 90 days for anything. It's about quality, not quantity (or speed) in this persons humble opinion.

Cheers

Mudbone

The truth is, It's what ever you want it to be. Some go for speed and numbers. Some stop and smell the roses. Some do both at different times.

It is a persona game and what ever you make it.

This kinda reminds me of the folks that hike the whole ( over 2000 mile ) length of the Appalachian Trail in under 90 days.  I did it in 6 months.  I wouldnt trade my 6 months for those 90 days for anything.  It's about quality, not quantity (or speed) in this persons humble opinion.

Cheers

Mudbone

First-congrats to geopirat and huskie. It was great to see you at the event, well rested and basking in the spotlight you deserved to be in (until someone breaks this record :ph34r: ). I agree with mtn-man that we might have to seperate record by location soon, as there is a distinct difference in flavor between location.

One of the greatest things about caching is that you can have FUN in so many ways; numbers runs, long hikes, 5/5's, solo, group, nightstyle, social events. GW3 was a weekend that offered up all of this buffet style to anyone who chose to participate and have FUN in the manner they chose to. :lol::(:huh:

I get too darn tired to go 24-hours straight. Plus I like non-micro hides and they can typically take a lot longer if a hike is required. I didn't find more than 50 in one day while at GW3, but then again, I didn't cache more than 10 hours straight and also had events that ate up a few hours each day that I attended.

I guess if I would have done the beach run, I could have had over 100 in a day, but mass caching wagon trains just don't interest me. It's fun to cache with a group of 4-6 cachers, but anymore than that and the challenge is lost on me.

Congrats to the Germans. I saw their logs for many of the caches we visited while in Jax. It is easy enough to find a lot in a 24-hr period there, especially since the .1 distance rule appeared to be ignored a lot, lol!

The Germans may have look rested and refreshed at GW3 but I can tell you I have never seen a team that caches as hard as these guys do. Since they have arrived in Jacksonville they have cached everyday they have been here. There goal after the record run was to hit 55 caches a day average for every day they were here. So far I have seen and talked to them in many different areas of North Florida and had the privelege of caching with them on 1 of those days. The day I was with them we hit 85 caches in about 11 hours with an hour for lunch. these guys have all the bells and whistles when it comes to electronics. If you ever get the privelelge to cache with them they are great people and great friends.

Congrats to the Germans. I saw their logs for many of the caches we visited while in Jax. It is easy enough to find a lot in a 24-hr period there, especially since the .1 distance rule appeared to be ignored a lot, lol!

Being a local Jax cacher I have to respectfully disagree with you. I can't think of any caches I have done in town (and if you'll lok at my stats you'll see that's quite a few) that has been closer together than .1 miles (granted some are 528.1' :o but none that are 527.9' or less)

Being a local Jax cacher I have to respectfully disagree with you. I can't think of any caches I have done in town (and if you'll lok at my stats you'll see that's quite a few) that has been closer together than .1 miles (granted some are 528.1' :o but none that are 527.9' or less)

Disagree away. There were 3 in a sams parking lot... um, the tulips one rings a bell, another on a building box and a postal one (I think). All were like 478-490 feet from one or another... for real, lol!

This kinda reminds me of the folks that hike the whole ( over 2000 mile ) length of the Appalachian Trail in under 90 days.  I did it in 6 months.  I wouldnt trade my 6 months for those 90 days for anything.  It's about quality, not quantity (or speed) in this persons humble opinion.

Cheers

Mudbone

The truth is, It's what ever you want it to be. Some go for speed and numbers. Some stop and smell the roses. Some do both at different times.

It is a persona game and what ever you make it.

Just to reitterate...

That's one of the beauties of this sport. It has something for everyone.

One thing that this sport, or any other sport will never be able to accomplish, is to be able to measure the individual enjoyment that we recieve.

WTG go Germany!

Gratz to the latest record holders.

Here's a record that I'd like to see:

Total Number of Caches completed before stopping. In other words, you can only stop for say 3 meals a day and gas, but other than that, you must geocache. Basically removing the 24 hour period border to the current record, but keeping the pace the same.

Disagree away. There were 3 in a sams parking lot... um, the tulips one rings a bell, another on a building box and a postal one (I think). All were like 478-490 feet from one or another... for real, lol!

Well Agent K and I hit 22 caches without leaving the parling lot of GW3... but those caches were not available to the Germans for their run. All the caches the Germans hit were at least .1 apart.

Diddo mudbone!

Its not about numbers for me -

260 caches in one day! Surely you can't remember the significance of any of them.

I have 90 caches in 3 months. Thats roughly 1 per day! I can describe each and everyone i visited as if it was visited today.

sholmes

Diddo mudbone!

260 caches in one day! Surely you can't remember the significance of any of them.

I have 90 caches in 3 months. Thats roughly 1 per day! I can describe each and everyone i visited as if it was visited today.

sholmes

I'll thank you to not insult my ability to remember the caches I found while doing my world record run, nor to insult my friends geopirat and huskie. Don't make assumptions regarding experiences about which you know nothing.

Although it is a year later, I can describe many -- probably a majority -- of the 240 caches we found to set the record. Several of them made my all-time favorites list. We took pictures along the way and stopped to catch our breath when there was a nice view to be had.

Regardless of whether they are part of a ten-cache run or a world record-run, a good geocacher remembers good geocaches.

Diddo mudbone!

I have 90 caches in 3 months. Thats roughly 1 per day!  I can describe each and everyone i visited as if it was visited today.

sholmes

I'll thank you to not insult my ability to remember the caches I found while doing my world record run, nor to insult my friends geopirat and huskie. Don't make assumptions regarding experiences about which you know nothing.

Although it is a year later, I can describe many -- probably a majority -- of the 240 caches we found to set the record. Several of them made my all-time favorites list. We took pictures along the way and stopped to catch our breath when there was a nice view to be had.

Regardless of whether they are part of a ten-cache run or a world record-run, a good geocacher remembers good geocaches.

Ditto Leprechauns!

Despite the fact that we did 80 or 90 caches in three days, I definitely remember the good, bad and ugly from the weekend. We got some great ideas to take home with us to try on our local cachers. I also can remember locations where micros were that could have supported full size caches.

(Edited because the spell checker does not help sometimes. :o )

Edited by mtn-man

Ditto everything that Lep, Mtn-man, & Sax have already said.

I've had many weekends where I've found upwards of 100 or 150 caches. Even after close to 2300 finds now, I can still remember pretty much every cache that was worth remembering. Heck, the "busiest" weekends are often the ones I remember the most because of all the different and unique places I got to see in so short a time.

The caches that fade from memory quickly are the ones that wouldn't have been memorable even if that was the only cache I had found that day.

I know that these Geocaching records are done in a team and that they always claim that the team stays together, but I still have a hard time actually believing those 24 caching records.

Just do the math. To find 263 caches in a 24 hour period, you would have to average findinga cache every 5 mins and 40 seconds.

I know the Jacksonville area is rather flat, but still 263 caches in 24 hours?

- Are they actually opening up the cache container and writing in the log?

- Are these caches that anyone in this team has found before?

Yes. The German group (and the ones before them) signed the logs. No, they had not found the caches before.

It is easy to do up to 12+ drive up micros an hour when they are so close together. I bet 300 will get broken in Nashville within the next year. In many cases it involves driving strip mall parking lots that have caches every .1 mile (528 feet) or so, all hidden in the same manner. Those can be found within a minute or two from each other, which makes up for the times when you have to drive for several minutes to run through another lot.

Don't believe it? Go to Jacksonville or Nashville, plan it carefully, get a driver and a navigator and go see for yourself. Oh and be prepared to drink alot of coffee. :o

Every time that the record is broken, we see the same themes for forum posts, either questioning the truthfulness of the record, or criticizing the record holders for not geocaching in the proper manner. Well, speaking from experience, I did find all the caches, I did sign the logs, I did smell the roses and I did have fun. If there is a rule that says I have to wait a minimum of seven minutes between the lamp post and the guardrail .2 miles apart, please point me to that rule because I did break that one.

I signed a lot of logs in Nashville during my record run that still had German ink drying on the scroll ahead of me. Ditto that last weekend in Jacksonville. I have no doubt that Geopirat and Huskie found the caches they say they found.

Did they find any of the Jacksonville caches previously? Come on, they live in Germany. Look through their find records and you won't see too many prior trips to Florida. If you're going to whine, at least use common sense, do research, or both. It is tiresome to read such naysaying.

Ditto everything that Lep, Mtn-man, & Sax have already said.

I've had many weekends where I've found upwards of 100 or 150 caches. Even after close to 2300 finds now, I can still remember pretty much every cache that was worth remembering. Heck, the "busiest" weekends are often the ones I remember the most because of all the different and unique places I got to see in so short a time.

The caches that fade from memory quickly are the ones that wouldn't have been memorable even if that was the only cache I had found that day.

You would not do that where I live. Mainly because there are not that many caches to begin with. Maybe in Houston, Dallas, or San Antonio you could. You need to remember that a lot of people reading these forums do not live in a city where you can dang near throw a baseball from one cache to the next. It gets back to what I said in another string. All the stupid micros just to put a micro is pointless.

Mathatalist

I was doing my 100 caches in 11 hours with only a driver so it was basically me by myself. Not only was I writing my name and date, but we also performed cache repair by replacing wet logs (about 6 or 7 of them) and we replaced an entire container at one spot (my driver is exceptionally well organized and carries spares on everything).

By all means feel free to go to Nashville and look at them. I will happily provide you with a list of those caches. I am sorry that some of you might not believe us, but I never believed in the Waffle Fairy until this weekend either (but that is another story for another topic).

:o

To get back on topic, it was an honor and a pleasure to meet the German geocacher team. They were exceptionally nice and were even trading German geocoins. They were a class act and I was glad they took the time to travel so far to meet other geocachers from around the world.

<snip>  I am sorry that some of you might not believe us, but I never believed in the Waffle Fairy until this weekend either (but that is another story for another topic).

<snip>

Hey, stay on topic, or I'll have to report you to the modera....oh, wait, never mind

:wub:

Well, we did meet the Waffle Santa (As I like to call him) on our mini cache run to GW3, so it is sort of on topic. Well.... OK not really all that on topic. :D:wub:

::: sigh :::

Get in car, drive to cache 1, find cache 1, sign log, get back in car.  Repeat 260 times.

You have been to many states Geocaching and that must have been cool. But I bet on your road trips you passed many a mile where there were NO caches anywhere. Surely not one every .1 mile. Kind of hard to log 260 caches when there might not even be 2 caches in 26 miles. But if we were in the strip centers of cache saturated cities maybe we could. Lets see, 26 miles times .1 miles spacing gets you 260. I have a feeling you did not find a cache every .1 miles in Iowa.

I don't think anyone doubts that many caches were found. It's just not the same as the distances some people have to drive to find 1 cache.

Mathatalist

Edited by Mathatalist
It gets back to what I said in another string. All the stupid micros just to put a micro is pointless.

Just to set things straight...the overwhelming majority of the caches on my personal best day (130) were NOT micros. In fact, I could pretty well say that about my second and third best days...

[You have been to many states Geocaching and that must have been cool. But I bet on your road trips you passed many a mile uppon while where there were NO caches. Surely not one every .1 mile. Kind of hard to log 260 caches when there might not even be 2 caches in 26 miles. But if we were in the strip centers of cache saturated cities maybe we could. Lets see, 26 miles times .1 miles spacing gets you 260. I have a feeling you did not find a cache every .1 miles in Iowa.

I don't think anyone doubts that many caches were found. It's just not the same as the distances some people have to drive to find 1 cache.

Mathatalist

It is all different experiences. In some areas caches are spread out. In others they are close. Sometimes a person travels and turns all those micros into a bunch of fun by seeing how many they can get in a short time frame. Sometimes, they travel and spend the day hiking 12 miles up a mountain for three caches and a terrific view.

Some people I know did both of those within weeks of each other :wub::D

Just curious, is there a record for Lindburgh-style (i.e. solo) marathon caching?

I have seen various numbers, but there is not one that anyone has specifically claimed (e.g. set out to document and publically state it etc). I would like to see someone set out to document one. It would be interesting, especially if also done in Nashville or Jacksonville for comparison to the team runs.

It gets back to what I said in another string.  All the stupid micros just to put a micro is pointless.

As anyone who knows me can tell you, I am no fan of micros. With that said, they do have both their place and usefulness in caching.

Urban micros are excellent for night caching when hiking in the woods for an ammocan isn't really a good idea or an option. Micros are also excellent for cachers who may either be handicapped or injured. I know there have been many times I was sick or too tired for even a short .50 hike to a cache. Those pesky drive-by micros sure helped me get my fix. I like them and hope they never do away with them.

Plus, many of the micros I found while in Jax for GW3 were quite cleverly hidden or were part of a creative series. I liked that aspect about many that I found over the long weekend.

It gets back to what I said in another string.  All the stupid micros just to put a micro is pointless.

Just to set things straight...the overwhelming majority of the caches on my personal best day (130) were NOT micros. In fact, I could pretty well say that about my second and third best days...

What makes your record (130) amazing is that this involved probably at least 10 miles (if not more) hiking in dessert terrain, and if I recall right, temps approaching the 100s at times. I've hiked all those trails (in more favorable conditions) and respect your accomplishment more than a series of 260+ driveby micros. How many gallons of water did you go through?

--Marky

What makes your record (130) amazing is that this involved probably at least 10 miles (if not more) hiking in dessert terrain, and if I recall right, temps approaching the 100s at times. I've hiked all those trails (in more favorable conditions) and respect your accomplishment more than a series of 260+ driveby micros. How many gallons of water did you go through?

--Marky

Water? Geez. Let's just say I stopped counting how many times we refilled our Camelbaks. The temperature was approaching 90 by the time we started (at 6 AM) and was 110 at its peak. Two members of our group (including myself) were showing signs of heat exhaustion at times...Mine was halfway through the last 3-mile hike, and I was so zonked I honestly don't remember very much of the last couple of hours.

After that, I'll take 260 drive-by micros any day (someday, I'll try!). :D