Converting Lat\longs???

I'm using Microsoft Streets & Trips to search for maps to the caches I find on geocaching.com. None of the mapping software I have used takes input in the format that the caches are listed on the site (N dd: mm.sss W dd: mm.sss). Most software take input in the dd.xxxx, -dd.xxx or N dd:mm:ss W dd:mm:ss. So....

Is there an easy way to convert dd:mm.xxx to decimal degrees??? Does someone have the formula or has anyone built a spreadsheet with the proper formula? :ph34r:

Thanks.

Well, 1 degree is 60 minutes, so take the mm.xxx and divide it by 60 and add the results back on to the degrees.

w 122d 50.222 = 122.8370333

or input dd mm.mm into your GPS, switch the format to dd.dddd and your GPS will convert it.

Some software you can also switch the coordinate format in "preferences"

if you were running a mac i would say try the applescript listed here

i can tell ya the formulas though....

DD MM SS --> DD MM.mmm

SS divided by 60 and place that where the .mmm is

DD MM.mmm --> DD.dddddd

MM.mmm divided by 60 and place that where the .ddddd is

fairly simple actually, if you have any q's just ask

Excellent find on Geocalc. I was looking for something like this a few days ago. I had marked a spot with my GPS but was wanting to see it on mapquest or one of the other map sites and my coords werent the same format. I finally just created a new cache and then archived it with an apology to my approver and a note stating what I was doing.