Question About Navigational Bearings

Ok I have been trying to find this micro for a week and its driving me nuts! :o

I'm a bit confused about his bearing and heading instuctions. I even called a coast guard captian and he was also confused. I must be doing something wrong because 13 people have found this! I took a heading of 349 but I'm not sure how the bearing comes into play. I tried going 310 ft. from the starting point in an arch and still no luck! What am I doing wrong?

You may want to email the cache owner, explain your having problems and ask for furture instructions.

I don't quite understand the cache description...

I thought heading was the direction you're moving, and the bearing is the direction to the target. (did do I have that mixed up?) :o

Perhaps the cache owner doesn't really understand the concept of heading and bearing. If you have the cache set as your GOTO and walk away from it at a heading of 349°, the bearing on your GPS will read 160°. The bearing information is irrelevant in this case.

I believe what you need to do is face 349 deg which will give you the magnetic north then set your COMPASS ,yes you should bring/have a compass for this, at this and turn so you are facing 169 deg and you should be in the area I suspect. I not positive on this , I will do further research .

ok definitions of bearing and heading

bearing :angular horizonal direction , measured either clockwise or counter clockwise around 1/4 of a circle , where the value is in degrees relative to either north or south . In a gps receiver , it usually refers to the direction to a waypoint .

heading :the horizonal direction that you are facing or traveling .

Don't know if this helps any but give it a shot and let us know if you find it.

A heading is your direction of travel; a bearing is a direction from your position to another location.

I think the cache owner is making this a little more of a challenge by having you turn 11º left, and then travel 158º right from there.

The way the cache description reads, I would stand on the posted coordinates and face 349º (11º left of North), then calculate a waypoint (I use the Sight 'N Go feature on my Garmin 60CS) 310 feet (.05871212335 miles) at 169º right, or 158º right from North (southeast). I would post the waypoint for you, but I know you still want a bit of challenge in this, right? You might be able to pace it out if it's open ground. Good luck, and be sure and post here when (not if) you find it!

- Pablo Mac