To Pee, Or Not To Pee?

After about 1 hour of hiking, I stumbled upon a heavily wooded area... would you guess what I saw there? Some fat guy taking a pee in the woods, I walked on by. Unfortunately, about 3 mins later when he had left, I found that my GPS took me straight to the area where the man had "relieved" himself. While realizing how uncanny this was I saw it, the cache was as wet as my forehead which I was constantly pouring water over on the way to it. I couldn't bring myself to touch it so while using up the last of my water to refresh myself I decided to wait till the next day to obtain this cache.

Have you ever been in a situation like this or close to this? If so post it.

"IT WAS DISGUSTING!!!" :laughing:<_<:o:DB):o:DB):blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink::blink:

I think there used to be a old (now banned) cacher called "The Mad Crapper" and did #2 in all the caches.

That would've been harder to come back later and to find any more pleasant.

I was walking down the bike path to the APE cache at Crab Creek in Maryland a few weeks ago and I looked up the path...nobody, down the path...nobody, and proceeded to go.  Of course right in midstream, when it is the hardest to stop, two women runners come down the trail.  I stopped, zipped, tried to look nonchalant, looked down, and what did I see...a very wet turtle.  Poor guy.

You peed on a poor turtle? :blink: That's awful!

I agree with him. Thats awful. Next time, the turtle will pee on you.

Dont pick up a toad, or else they will do the turtle's job. :ph34r:

After about 1 hour of hiking, I stumbled upon a heavily wooded area... would you guess what I saw there? Some fat guy taking a pee in the woods, I walked on by. Unfortunately, about 3 mins later when he had left, I found that my GPS took me straight to the area where the man had "relieved" himself. While realizing how uncanny this was I saw it, the cache was as wet as my forehead which I was constantly pouring water over on the way to it. I couldn't bring myself to touch it so while using up the last of my water to refresh myself I decided to wait till the next day to obtain this cache.

"IT WAS DISGUSTING!!!"  :P  :P  :D  :D  :ph34r:  :huh:  :o  B)  B)  B)  B)  B)  B)  B)  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:

I bet you were PISSED! Seriously, maybe it's just the way some hiders mark their territory. Are you SURE it wasnt the owner? :lol:

I couple of thing pop into my head. The guy the OP saw may have been confused. In low impact camping techniques ammo cans lined with garbage bags serve as field toilets (called groovers for the lines they leave). Second, Urine is a sterile product(barring any infection) and is no more dangerous than the rain.

Two little bit of info to make you think.....or gag.

I'm a guy. I pee outside. Deal with it. It's one of the perks of being male.

I can't see any reason to pee ON the trail or on/near a cache. If I'm peeing somewhere it is highly unlikely that it will be on a cache.

Heck what's being a guy got to do with it. Oh yeah that's right I'm a soldier and so am also qualified to pee or whatever in the woods even if I am a girl.

;)

We were out caching last Sunday, about an hour out of town we got to the parking area to start our hike, well the coffee and soda were making themselves heard. I slipped out behind a bush and started to take care of business when I heard a helicopter, when I looked up there it was with a camera man hanging out the door pointing his big ole camera right at me. We had stumbled into a movie shoot.[what movie I have no idea] A gew seconds later a car pulled in and asked us if we could move our vehicle out the parking area for ten minutes while they finished their shot. So someplace out there I am immortalised on celluose. Not quite how I wanted my fifteen seconds of fame, but what the hey.

We often camp with my son's boy scout troop. The first campout I had finally gone on with my hubby, I was the only female one morning. I really have to get used to the idea of not looking around the campsite, or wandering around the edges of the campsite...

The first thing the guys do when they get up in the morning, is go to the edge of the campsite, and face into the woods... it took me a bit to realize they were peeing!

Yeah, my face was red...... but I don't think anyone was looking my way!

Closer to the start of this thread there is a link to another thread on peeing and a story of a woman who while skiing had to pee.

I know the story - it was a friend of my moms.

The woman in question was in line at the bottom of a ski run. the lines were long that day and she HAD TO GO. She and the guy she was skiing with were nearing the front of the line to get on the lift, when she said she really had to go. Not wanting to get out of line, her friend lied to her, saying there were bathrooms at the top of the lift.

She believed him and got onto the lift going to the top of the run, where she discovered there was no bathroom.

At bursting point now, she saw a tree line nearby and went over - skis still on. She found a nice area completely surrounded by trees. She pulled down her pants and squatted. She started to pee, when her skis, pointing downhill, began to carry her backwards because of her shifting her weight. She was helpless to do anything. The momentum of her skis carried her backwards into the ski run, where she crossed in front of another skiers skis, she continued backwards across the entire run, crashed into a tree and broke her ankle.

The next day she was in the lodge, nursing her wounds at the lodge while her lying dog friend skied. She noticed a guy at the lodge with a broken leg and thought misery loves company and she went to ask him what happened.

He replied "you will never believe me" She urged him to tell her, and he related that while just starting his run the day before a woman crouched on her skis with her pants down had crossed over his skis and he was so shocked to see such a sight he crashed into the tree line and broke his leg.

She was horrified. She replied she was so sorry. He was taken aback a bit because she kept saying how sorry she was, how terrible he had suffered a broken leg. Then she came clean and told him it was her, she related the entire story to him, when she got back home, she related the story to her buddies, one of them was my mom.

The womans ski trip took place in the 1980's in the Lake Tahoe area.

i found a cache last year beside a lake where some fishermen and women had been camping. after waiting about an hour for them to pack up and go, i ran out into the woods to find the cache - the cache was right in the spot they had chosen to use as their toilet, and not just for peeing in!

they luckily just missed the spot by inches.

imagine that though - in all the woods in all the land, and they picked a tupperware box to poo next to! - not knowing what delightful toys and random items they could have had for their very own!

Releiving yourself on somthing that you know someone will find is just sick and wrong! releiving yourself on somthing by accident is forgivable

I used to spend alot of time four wheeling with my jeep. there are areas, the Rubicon Trail for example, that are in danger of being closed because of the amount of human waste left behind. Of course the visible waste,solid and paper, is what attracts the attention. As for solid waste, bury it or if your in a sensitive area pack it out!

If anyone wants an interesting fun and informative read check out the book "How To s*** In The Woods" by Kathleen Meyer. Lots of good info and a fun read.

Hey Greg, Sometimes the truth gets reworded and retold. Until I read the above post about the story printed on Readers Digest I had not heard of or had seen the story, except from my mom back in the 80's.

I dont know where my mother would have heard the story, but when she told me, she did say it was a friend of hers....

It is possible that my mother "heard it as a story" and not from a friend, but remember Butch Cassidy was also suppose to have died in the gun battle in South America and they have yet to find his remains, and his sister swore he returned after the "story" of his death in that famous/infamous gun battle...who is to know for sure.

Edited by DustyPockets
Hey Greg, Sometimes the truth gets reworded and retold. Until I read the above post about the story printed on Readers Digest I had not heard of or had seen the story, except from my mom back in the 80's.

I dont know where my mother would have heard the story, but when she told me, she did say it was a friend of hers....

It is possible that my mother "heard it as a story" and not from a friend, but remember Butch Cassidy was also suppose to have died in the gun battle in South America and they have yet to find his remains, and his sister swore he returned after the "story" of his death in that famous/infamous gun battle...who is to know for sure.

Yup, that's exactly the point. Many urban legends have their origins in the truth but get lost in the telling along the way. The earmark of an urban legend, though, is it's always a friend of a friend. Also if you confront the teller, 9 times out of 10 they'll tell you "no really, it did happen" because they trust the teller.

My own mom is one of the guiltiest people like this. I originally heard some of the most famous ones from her, when she was telling them to me as a kid and really believed them, like the actress who got a splinter in her hand but never took it out only to die of a spinter in her heart 10 years later... it's on snopes. Or the Proctor & Gamble ones, good god.

Anyway, sorry if I offended. I generally point them out so people won't continue telling the same stories over and over, thinking they're true when they're not.

Greg

Wile doing an urban micro I did have to wait for a bum to finish peeing at GZ so I could find the cache. The cache was about 4 feet off the ground right where he had just went, I am greatful it wasn't on the ground where this man had just deposited his used Thunderbird. Yup, that was gross. For those that will say I'm not PC, you should know that anyone drinking Thunderbird is homeless because they are a bum.

I have also twice found myself in the woods with full blader, and close to GZ when I found myself a nice private spot to use I looked down just before starting only to see a cache. It is a strange feeling doing that, it's like cool I found it, aarh now I need to find another spot to go.

Also I have often found the need to relieve myself wile caching (I'll see your IBS and raise you Crohn's). I always cary everything I need to leave as little trace as possable. Trowel, TP, and Wet Naps for that Fresh feeling.

Ok, here is the latest saga of Central Texas geocachers..... read the log linked below...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...98-c5bf8be1d8a5

Now read the story of the new geocache in his honor!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...&log=y&decrypt=

All of the logs both caches are dealing with this unfortunately humorous event!

What can I say... we have a great bunch of cachers around here!

Ok, here is the latest saga of Central Texas geocachers..... read the log linked below...

OHHHH THE HUMANITY!! :antenna::antenna:

Ok, here is the latest saga of Central Texas geocachers.....  read the log linked below...

OHHHH THE HUMANITY!! :D:D

Ummmm, ok ...

"IT WAS DISGUSTING!!!" :(:ph34r::lol::P:D:P:D:D:D:tired::blink::(:(:):)B):)B)B)

...Gosh...why'd you have to go and embarass me like that... :( ...

LOL, just kidding, that is disgusting! :lol:

while in the army uncle sam taught us to NOT pee near a tree as you never know if you may need to use that tree for cover. that said, if you see some older, fat,balding,mud ugly guy standing in the middle of an open field peeing.............................

IT AIN"T ME I ain't ugly :tired:

I'm a guy. I pee outside. Deal with it. It's one of the perks of being male.

Er, last time I checked, females could pee outside too.

I'm a girl and I pee outside almost every night around 4am, lol. I have a 3.5 hour newspaper route, out in the country, and a lot of coffee.

I don't think I've nailed a cache, even though I was a muggle up until last week. :ph34r:

I really, really had to go (I have IBS) and my GPS had me 60 feet from ground zero so I squatted down and let go. As I was hiking up my pants I saw the cache about 5 feet away :mad: .

No Rep. Ceips, this was not in a cemetery.

i actyally peed on a very well camo'd cache i was hunting for...took me so long to find, just had to go...didn't realize i was already there till my tinkle made that tell-tale sound :mad:

I had the same exact thing happen to me, I looked down and there was the cache right were I was going Ha!

I once logged "TFTC, almost POC",but the funniest related experience I've had was on a glacier. My favorite bibs have a zipper that runs from the chest to the area of your tailbone, so one can relieve oneself while exposing the minimum amount of skin to the cold air. One evening, low on Mt Olympus in Washington, I was enjoying the view, squating on the ice and making full use of this feature, when the only other climbers we'd seen in two days walked right up to me and asked how it was going. I don't think it ever dawned on them what I was doing squatting alone while my climbing partner waited 100 feet away, stuffing the rope into his pack. :lol:

As far as guys having an easier time relieving themselves in the woods, that's not always true.

Many moons ago, I was camping with a boyfriend on an island. Crown land. No designated campsites. No outhouses. I've pretty much perfected the squat but I still have to hike a lot further into the bush to feel that my cover is adequate -- unlike my boyfriend who goes to the edge of the clearing and pees into the bushes. :huh:

But the next day, he needs to do a bigger job. He claims he's incapable of squatting and hovering. After searching the whole island and deciding there were no suitable logs for him to sit on, we take the boat to another island. I stand on the shore while he goes to find the "perfect log." A few minutes later...CRACK! ARRRRGH! Ya. His log broke. :huh:

Never fails when I am looking for an urban micro I have to pee. It gets worse when I can't find the cache quickly because than you start doing the pee dance and people really think you are strange. Staring at a park bench and dancing around :mad: When I am in the woods, it is rare that nature calls. Like a second pee sense

Wile doing an urban micro I did have to wait for a bum to finish peeing at GZ so I could find the cache. The cache was about 4 feet off the ground right where he had just went, I am greatful it wasn't on the ground where this man had just deposited his used Thunderbird. Yup, that was gross. For those that will say I'm not PC, you should know that anyone drinking Thunderbird is homeless because they are a bum.

I have also twice found myself in the woods with full blader, and close to GZ when I found myself a nice private spot to use I looked down just before starting only to see a cache. It is a strange feeling doing that, it's like cool I found it, aarh now I need to find another spot to go.

Also I have often found the need to relieve myself wile caching (I'll see your IBS and raise you Crohn's). I always cary everything I need to leave as little trace as possable. Trowel, TP, and Wet Naps for that Fresh feeling.

Thanks for clearing that up. Wouldn't want anyone to think you were stereotyping anyone, now would you? After all, stereotyping is wrong - it would be like saying anyone who manages to misspell simple words like "while", "grateful", "bladder" and "carry" must be an uneducated fool, know what I mean? <_<

I'll see your IBS and raise you Crohn's

Gross.

Ya know....in the 30 years of my existance I can honestly say I've never seen this phrase written nor have I heard it spoken...ever. I can't imagine how terrible it must be to have either of these conditions, and my heart goes out to you, but, um, EEEWWWW.

It's gross and funny all at the same time.

On a serious note...as a neo-cacher, and a germaphobe, this whole thread has gotten me re-thinking my newfound passion for this sport. This is just sick.

Oh well, I guess I've been looking for that certian "something" that finally cures my germaphobia---maybe geocaching is it---'cause I can't imagine not doing it just because of some fecal or urine matter.

Oh my, what am I SAYING???!!!

It has been our experience that while geocaching has brought us to tons of interesting, "hidden", new-to-us places these places don't always appear to be hidden to the teenage partiers (who leave behind dried tp), drug users (who leave behind their trash) or the homeless (who sometimes live near GZ).

To bring this thread back on topic, I was born with the thirst of an elephant and a bladder of a gnat. Peeing is what I do - but I can undo the belt, piddle and be zipped back up before you can make it back to the car, I bet. My caching cronies tease that I am faster than some men they know, even.

Besides, who can cache with a full bladder?? Not me.

my sister, my mom and I went to a cache and it was next to these two people fishing. WE told them what was going on -about geocaching and all that and we found it and left. A few days later we found out that that cache had been peed in and the contents scattered about the area. gross, no? :)