Destroyed Benchmark

Spoo

link: OC0592

If you report this to Deb Brown at NGS, with pictures proving destroyed, she will probably give you permission to keep the disk as a souvenir. Several such instances have been reported here. But you are going to have to act fast before someone reads your log and grabs it.

Good work in finding the disk.

Since the benchmark has clearly been disturbed, the disk itself has no value in terms of elevation. I would place the disk in a secure location until the NGS has reviewed your report and logged it as destroyed.

(Edited for grammar)

Edited by Difficult Run

I've found similar recently. A USGS Pipe Cap - JY0578

I debated for about 5 minutes whether or not to take the top of the pipe and cap with me when I found it. I decided that since the point was truly destroyed, the remains were of no value. I sent a report and photos to Deb Brown, and was told I could keep it if I wished.

A friend of mine currently has possesion of the remains. He's going to cut the pipe off close to the cap, and I'm going to make a paperweight out of it. :o

I've run across 4 discs, still embedded in their concrete monuments this spring, three along I-25 (1 in a grassy bridge median and 2 well off the road) and one in a quiet area of Santa Fe. As long as they're away from cities/towns, I think they survive pretty well here. I've found several monument remains, sans disc, here in Albuquerque, so...

Edited by BuckBrooke