Gsak And Pda

hi its a mio 168 running windows 2003 do i need another program when i have gsak? tried mobi pocket but had to do a reset now it doesent work

For PocketPC get the free program GPXsonar which is almost like a GSAK-lite. It also has other neat features like export to PocketStreets and Magellan SD format, which I find quite handy. Field notes can be imported into GSAK.

do i need another program when i have gsak?

Yes, contrary to many beliefs/assumptions/claims, GSAK IS NOT the be all/do all program that many in the forums hype it to be.

I don't think anyone has posted that GSAK is anything more then what it is which is a tremendous program to manipulate caches on your Windows computer and output them to your GPS or program of choice.

I really can't imagine how tedious it would be to figure out what caches to go for, print out condensed cache pages (if you want print outs), send the caches to the your PDA of choice, etc.

If you have some better solution, then by all means speak up.

I don't think anyone has posted that GSAK is anything more then what it is which is a tremendous program to manipulate caches on your Windows computer and output them to your GPS or program of choice.

Well, yeah, actually people have. Read the forums a little more closely, almost every question that comes up involving Pocket Queries, someone says "Get GSAK" even if it in no way will address the OP's concerns.

Well, yeah, actually people have. Read the forums a little more closely, almost every question that comes up involving Pocket Queries, someone says "Get GSAK" even if it in no way will address the OP's concerns.

I read the forums plenty, thanks.

And those that use GSAK understand the capabilities and the benefits it brings them. As for a PDA, it can help send to it the appropriate information vs a 500 cache PQ right from the site. So, it will help those with a PDA, even if it doesn't run on a PDA. It will also, though I don't use cachemate, supposedly import any PDA based notes/logs that a Cachemate user will enter for quick copy/paste into an online log.

Not everyone needs GSAK, but then again, not everyone needs a $300+ GPS to find a cache but that doesn't stop those of us that want one from getting it and using the features on it. Look at how many folks have a 60C(S) or 76C(S) vs a $99 GPS... I guess you ought to post about their overqualified GPS in all those threads to.

Your post seemed to provide the original poster with no info and the reason for my reply. If there was something useful in your post, maybe you can highlight it and expand upon that.

I guess you ought to post about their overqualified GPS in all those threads to.

Your post seemed to provide the original poster with no info and the reason for my reply. If there was something useful in your post, maybe you can highlight it and expand upon that.

I wasn't posting about anything that's OVERQUALIFIED, rather UNDERqualified. Like I stated, GSAK isn't the be all end all do all that some seem to think it is, and insist on telling others that it is. I was simply letting the poster who said "I need another program when I have GSAK?" realize that.

If it does everything YOU need it to do, great, just don't try and suggest it does everything ANYONE would want done.

If it does everything YOU need it to do, great, just don't try and suggest it does everything ANYONE would want done.

Find anything like that I've posted and I'll pay your premium fee for a year.

GSAK is a tool.... a very powerful tool. Just as a moron with a hammer is still a moron, a craftsman needs his tools to build things. GSAK for many of us is that tool that allows us to enhance our geocaching experience. But you're right, morons should put the hammer down.

Plipey don't worry about those two. I'm not sure what IV-Warrior's problem is. No body in this thread said GSAK was the be all/do all for caching.

What you want is a program called GPXSonar. Its free and can be found at- http://gpxsonar.homeip.net/default.aspx

Its a lot like GSAK and can open your GPX files from your pocket querys or you can use GSAK to manipulate your querys and open them with GPXSonar on the pocketPC.

Alternativly you can use GSAK to export indexed HTML pages which can be viewed on your PPC and not need to install any software in addition to GSAK.

Let us know which method you'd prefer and we'll not argue about how great GSAK is and help you find the information you need.

Plipey don't worry about those two. I'm not sure what IV-Warrior's problem is. No body in this thread said GSAK was the be all/do all for caching.

What you want is a program called GPXSonar.

First, I never said anyone in THIS THREAD did say that, but read the forums, many of the masses of morons DO seem to insist that it'll solve every problem and suggest it for everything, even stuff it can in no way affect.

Second, for Plipey, if GPXSonar will run on your PDA (it's designed for Pocket PC 2003, with an older, no longer updated version for PPC2002) it's a great program for viewing/sorting/filtering PQ information. It has field note options, and can output a couple different types of files, from the imported .gpx.

Certainly not as powerful as some of the programs designed for PCs, but a really good option for a PocketPC based PDA.

GPXSonar is for PocketPC. What doesn't work? Can you open a plain old GPX you receive as a PQ (Pocket Query) under GPXSonar?

If so, it should work fine with GSAK. Get the grid view to contain what you want to export to your PPC and click on Export / GPX/LOC and in that dialog uncheck near the top left the 2 options to include User Notes and GSAK specific fields. Fill out the other info on the export (it will all stay after the 1st time) and then click Generate.

That should create a GPXSonar compatible GPX file. If that doesn't work, just reply back with what specifically you're seeing or isn't working.

I'm not familar with the mio 168. I see it uses an xScale processor, I'm not familar with those.

What errors are you getting with GPS Sonar? Is GPX Sonar just not installing or is it installing and having errors running?

Same questions about using GSAK to export to HTML, can you get GSAK to export to html and then view that html with your pc before sending it to your MIO?

gpx sonar is on my pda but i get error an unnamed fil contains an invalid path i have sent html from gsak to pda but i dont see it all though when i read my card on my pc i see it there an i can open it but when i put it back in pda nothing

Edited by plipey