Looking For Gps W/ability To Use Preloaded Quads

Hi everyone..hope this question has not already been asked. We have a number of older Garmin units including the GPS III Plus and are thinking of upgrading. I'm looking for a GPS unit that is able to handle loading USGS quad maps into it - in particular, to show detailed landforms, including contour intervals for topography. Having this kind of base map detail for navigation in the field would be fantastic. Are there reasonably affordable units on the market now that have this ability? Any info would be helpful, as I'm not very familiar with today's offerings.

Thanks!

Go to the Garmin site and see if the topo maps are good enough for you. You can use the viewer to see what you'll see on the GPS. Most of the mapping units will be about the same, the biggest difference being the amount of map memory available in which to put maps. Color might be important to you, but it only makes viewing a little easier, and is much more expensive. None of the units come with topo maps preloaded, but you can buy them and install them via your PC as necessary.

I was checking out the Garmin website, and their topo software (~$80) seems to be compatible with the GPS III Plus unit. I'm guessing it would have to be downloaded via the data cable, as this unit does not have a memory card. I'm also a little bit worried about not having much memory with the III Plus for this type of application. Does anyone else use the topo software with their Garmin? I'm not concerned about having a color screen, but if anyone has suggestions for a better unit, I would appreciate it. Wouldn't mind sticking with Garmin, as they've been pretty good to me!

If memory is a concern, in addition to the Lowrance software/GPS mentioned above, you might want to think about Magellan offerings tha have expandable SD memory capability (like many of the Lowrance line).

The topo software seems your first consideration. You can preview MapSend Topo3D online by going to this link and clicking on the preview link at the right. (I've been unable to use the preview in anything other than Windows Internet Explorer).

If the software looks like it might be sufficient for you--it's not USGS Topo Quad quality, but for what will run on a GPS it might be enough--then the units to consider would be Magellan Meridians and Explorists. The Meridian Gold would be the value buy, at around $200. The Explorist models 400, 500, and 600 are new this year...more features (like higher-resolution screen, good color display) and more expensive.

"Not sure if it covers your specific need, but you might want to check out the Lowrance FreedomMaps TOPO software it is extremely well detailed.

You can use these FreedomMaps on a series of different iFinder GPSr's, from a basic iFinder up to a sophisticated iFinder PhD. They're good bang for your buck"

As far as Lowrance and those FreedomMaps... can you also add waypoints to those maps that are on the memory cards? What I mean is, if I have let's say, 20 caches that I want to search for, can I put those on the same card as the FreedomMap and have them show up?

There is no GPS that I'm aware of that will let you load other then their proprietary maps on it.

I have Garmin Mapsource Topo on my Garmin Vista and Map60CS. I am pretty happy with it, though the detail isn't the greatest.

But I'm test driving a Lowrance iFinder H20 right now with their Mapcreate Topo software. The detail is very good, far better than Garmin's or Magellan's.

Though the iFinder has some issues that I'm not crazy about and overall I much prefer my 60CS, if I were to get a GPS simply for its topo maps I would go with the iFinder H20 and their Mapcreate topo software. Also, the iFinder H20 is very affordabe at $189.

Edited by briansnat
"Not sure if it covers your specific need, but you might want to check out the Lowrance FreedomMaps TOPO software it is extremely well detailed.

You can use these FreedomMaps on a series of different iFinder GPSr's, from a basic iFinder up to a sophisticated iFinder PhD. They're good bang for your buck"

As far as Lowrance and those FreedomMaps...  can you also add waypoints to those maps that are on the memory cards?  What I mean is, if I have let's say, 20 caches that I want to search for, can I put those on the same card as the FreedomMap and have them show up?

Yes you can add TONS of waypoints onto the FreedomMap cartridge. I bought the Great Lakes map as it covers all of the Southern Ontario area (+ a LOT more) that I wanted details for. The pre-loaded maps on the MMC chip still leaves a lot of available space for other things. And I found I can add lots (probably space for thousands!) of waypoints to that chip.

I made the safeguard of taking a full backup of the chip as I purchased it, onto PC. So just in case I fudge something up I could return it back to original state <_<

One thing you can't do is "edit" the existing map data. Meaning, if you spot a roadway that is missing in the data (ie. a new road) you cannot add it in yourself.

There are programs that let you make Mapsource maps (Garmin) based on information you provide. It would be possible to make more detailed maps and use those in your GPS. However the time investment to do this would be substantial.

A couple of years ago there was a lot of buzz over a GPS that did let you use Quad maps. It was released, someone got it, gave it a rave review and then... nothing. It's like it dropped off the planet. It was pricey as a GPS but if they actually do still make thing thing it might fit the ticket. I don't recall the name of the GPS or I'd do a forum search for you. Perhaps another person does recall and can post the name.