Good Gps For Around $300?

I am new to geocaching (actually i haven't even done it yet) and i am looking for a good gps for around $300. I saw two that looked pretty good, the meridian color and the explorist 400. Can someone tell me if these are good choices? Thanks.

The Meridian color often gets bad reviews for the quality of its screen. Other people don't mind it. I haven't seen one, but read enough to know that I probably didn't want one when I was in the market for a new GPS.

I found an Explorist 500 for $280, which is the same as the 400 with a very nice color screen. I also bought detailed map software for it for ~$100, which would push you over your $300 limit.

I would suggest looking at the Meridian Gold, which can be found in the area of $180. It is a very good GPS, still highly regarded with a good history. That will leave you with some extra money to buy map software (anywhere from $40 to $100) and an SD card to store the maps.

For less than $300 you could have a quality GPS with maps and autorouting capability and more internal memory than you could possibly use.

It only lacks a color screen, which I admit is nice to have, but not necessary.

In the Garmin world, the eTrex Legend is often recommended. It sells for less than $200, still leaving you some money for mapping software. It's smaller and lighter than the Meridian, but won't do autorouting.

Jamie

I am new to geocaching (actually i haven't even done it yet) and i am looking for a good gps for around $300. I saw two that looked pretty good, the meridian color and the explorist 400. Can someone tell me if these are good choices? Thanks.

I would consider the Garmin GPSMAP 60c (or CS). With the $50 rebate available you can get the 60c for about $300 (Buy.com has it for $350 - $50 rebate = $300).

I absolutely Love this unit (CS). It's not perfect (an external memory card would have been nice), but besides that it does everything that I could want. I find myself using this in the car using City Select software, on my bike to track speed and milage and the original purpose of Geocaching.

Does the Garmin eTrex Legend C have usb support and external memory cards?  Because i read somewhere that garmin ones don't have that (not sure if it was all garmins or just certain ones).  But that is a good price for it.

Yes to USB support, no to memory cards. Personally I think memory cards are overrated unless you are someone who travels far and frequently. 24 megs supply plenty of map coverage in most areas and it only takes 2 minutes to load new maps with the USB connection if you are travelling out of your coverage area.

I got the Garmin etrex legend c, and im gonna get the over-priced city select this weekend when i get paid, and hopefully i'll be able to go find my first cache!

Its not really overpriced when you think of the cost to them to have accurate maps of the entire USA, keep them as current as possible, maintain a database of 5 million businesses and services and develop the sofware and routing capabilities.

Edited by briansnat