Sadistic Geocaches

Posted this in the regional section, but this might be a better place to put it. What are some of the most evil, frustrating, or unsual caches out there. I have an idea for a cache that will frustrate some people to no end, and I want to know how it will rank up with some of the worst out there.

Posted this in the regional section, but this might be a better place to put it.  What are some of the most evil, frustrating, or unsual caches out there.  I have an idea for a cache that will frustrate some people to no end, and I want to know how it will rank up with some of the worst out there.

Is your goal to frustrate Geocachers or to have them find your cache?

After a recent disappointing Sunday where I logged six DNFs on caches owned by the same people, I wrote a little "Editorial" about hiding Geocaches.

If it is a very clever hide in a unique container, great. But if it is a micro in an area with trees, boulders, lots of other vegetation and poison oak, I for one would like to know that in the first place so I don't have to even start out on a fruitless hunt for a nearly impossible-to-find cache that will result in unnecessary Geotrails over a wide area . . . ;)

That said, this cache has stymied many a cacher.

Tuscon Thompsen has many very devious puzzle caches and unique hides.

Incidentally, he won the Magellan contest in the San Diego area today. notworthy.gif

Well, I think that most caches should be regular physical caches, there is something fun in making, or solving, a really hard puzzle cache. Walk to waypoint, find a box under an obvious pile of sticks can get old. We need things like puzzles and cruely hidden caches to make life interesting.

I hope to make a puzzle so hard, it's never found. But only one, the rest will just be really really hard :P

Well, I think that most caches should be regular physical caches, there is something fun in making, or solving, a really hard puzzle cache. Walk to waypoint, find a box under an obvious pile of sticks can get old. We need things like puzzles and cruely hidden caches to make life interesting.

I hope to make a puzzle so hard, it's never found. But only one, the rest will just be really really hard :P

I have been trying to make a puzzle cache that takes about a month to solve. I have had limited sucess. My first attempt, Candelabra Entry, was solved immediately by numerous cachers because I gave too many clues. My second attempt Each Chord Went Thud was solved within a few days by the FTF. Few have solved it since, even though I added hints.

I have mixed feelings about puzzle caches because some people just won't hunt them. I like to do them so I am trying to keep a 50-50 ratio of puzzle to regular caches.

I think it would be fairly easy to create a puzzle cache that nobody could solve. Just do a one-time pad cipher with a key based on the third chapter of Moby Dick or something, say every thirteenth letter. Then don't tell them what the key is.

I think it would be fairly easy to create a puzzle cache that nobody could solve. Just do a one-time pad cipher with a key based on the third chapter of Moby Dick or something, say every thirteenth letter. Then don't tell them what the key is.

Wait...so my "Triskadecaphobic White Whale #3" puzzle cache isn't "Difficulty 1"? :lol:

I hope to make a puzzle so hard, it's never found. But only one, the rest will just be really really hard  :lol:

I couldn't agree more, I am already getting tired of the hollowed out tree or the pile of sticks. I have seen some very clever hides that keep me going but I would like to see more fake rocks, and clever hides.

I am on the other hand one of those people who avoid puzzle caches simply because I don't want to sit forever and crack a code, but I have seen a few puzzles that are really nice.

Generally reffered to with great humor as "EVIL" caches we of the AGA have everything from fake leaves to hollowed-out pine cones to fake hickory nuts, tree roots hollowed out for a film can and hollowed-out bolts in practically invisible places - all VERY dificult to find!

We also use misdirection and code or puzzle caches, song or book caches (where certain lyrics or passages indicate the location) and more.

We have more by far, and as a whole prefer, well-stocked family-friendly traditionals, but there are a number of us that love the EVIL caches!

What we have found to work best is a warning on the cache page stating clearly that this is an evil hide and not likely to be found easily.

This allows the folks who don't like them to avoid them...that's only fair!

If you guys like well hidden caches, check out King Cache. I tried to make it hard to find without being impossible. Also, most are just plain intrigued by the container.

There is also an interesting muggle problem. Seems it is across an alley from some muggles who like to sit in their back yard. Although I think they are getting used to the occasional visitor.

Wait...so my "Triskadecaphobic White Whale #3" puzzle cache isn't "Difficulty 1"? B)

:lol::lol:B)

I am not a big fan of puzzle caches. I hate them actually. Unfortunately, tharagleb lives in the same town as me and his caches GLARE at me when I look at my cache list. I do puzzle caches when I really have to, but I try to avoid them if I can.

I am not a big fan of puzzle caches. I hate them actually. Unfortunately, tharagleb lives in the same town as me and his caches GLARE at me when I look at my cache list. I do puzzle caches when I really have to, but I try to avoid them if I can.

Uh, okay..., another puzzle cache coming right up! And I'm going to put a White Jeep TB in it too, and I have already picked out the spot. Oh, and did I mention HARD, but no Vigenere this time.

I am trying to get one approved right now that is easy to find but then comes the hard part. There are 40 film canisters in it and only one has a log. They must figure out which one has the log, sign it and then they are only half done. They must then take an empty film canister and hide there own cache to actually log the cache. It can not be hid anywhere that there is poison ivy. That is the whole reason behind the cache. I can't get anywhere around it and I figured this would get me and some others some ivy free caches to go find.

I am working on an extremely hard, (on the brink of impossible, but not quite there yet,) multi/puzzle. I won't say much so as not to spoil it for any of you Middle Tennessee cachers reading this, but it envolves a key with multiple letter choices. It will have five stages. Four of them will be Altoids tins, hidden in the most simple and cliche hiding places. The only problem is, there are no coordinates to any stage but the first (and eventually last) stage. The cacher must use hints encrypted with the key I referenced to. These hints won't give coordinates, but will tell the location of the next stage. The fifth stage will most likely be an ammo box.

Happy (and very frustrated) Hunting!

<_< CoasterKid :angry:

Well, make up your mind! Do you want to know about sadistic, mean, evil or unusual caches? They are entirely different things!

Sadistic? Hiding a bison tube in a tree in a park, with the coordinates 50' off, leaving fifty or more trees to search, with the police questioning cachers. That's sadistic!

Mean is the micro in the understructure of an abandoned trestle over a river.

Evil is best saved for some of the very tough puzzle caches.

Unusual? I've got an unusual one, but it's easy. Also found a small statue hidden under camo cloth in a state park. Or a giant bone under a rock overhang.

RustyOJunk has one in the Albany, N.Y. area called "Word Search Hell". It consists of 25 micro caches and an ammo box. There's a 5X5 square with coordinates for the micros. Each micro has a letter and a number. When you can spell Rusty you have the right letter/number combination to find the final cache.

You may only have to find 5 micros or all 25. How lucky are you?

I am curently (well me and my friends) are making a series of caches called "Mission Impossible? 1,2,3,4,5...and so on. Our recently added cache is VERY difficult to find (Mission Impossible? 2) because our first attempt was found very quickly (Mission Impossible?)...So our goal is to make them progressively harder and more extreme to bring some action to our small mountain town we live in! (check out the logs and comment on what you think about them)

i"ve always admired the cache picture I saw here ...somewhere ... of the office water bottle filled with film canisters with only one canister containing the log. Truely evil !!!!! Koikeeper thought of using dozens of camo painted plastic hanging easter eggs adorning a tree in the woods ... with only one containing the log.. :) ImpalaBob

Ok my Dad (Lt32) and I made a cash out of a 5 gallon water jug and camoed it up and put about 60 little film canisters in it and only ONE had the log in it, and you could only get ONE OUT AT A TIME!!!! Being the person who helped make this i pitty anyone who finds the cash. Talk about frustrating. LOL!!! :laughing:

Heres the Link to the Cash Log http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...4c-bafa22e4c2b1

Edited by LgRedneck08

A local favorite in my part of Indiana, is a cache in which the owner actually glued a large rock to the lid of a pill bottle.The bottle was then slid inside a frog hole of the same diameter and along a creek about a foot from the waters edge so that only the rock shows amongst many others,quite clever actually. It has even been flooded over many times but has always held up OK and avoided being washed away.Of course many NF's are posted but many manage to get it after mutiple trips.

I'm a moron. So I can't figure out even the easiest cache. Heck it took me several weeks to find blue bridge. I still haven't found Dunmore MBT. I have never done a puzzle cache (I am not good at puzzles). I have a dream to make a puzzle cache for a person like me, but that won't be till I move. NO ONE wil lget the puzzle w/o being really really really well educated.

Here is my contribution to sadistic caches Phobia

Kit, this looks great! Thanks for the link! Our team's contributions to the world of sick caches are as follows:

• Psycho Urban Cache #2 - Dismal, Dirty and Tough GCQ91V
    Psycho Urban Cache #3 - Bowels of the City GCQ91Y
    Psycho Urban Cache #4 - Where is Padre Pio? GCQ969
    Psycho Urban Cache #6 - Downtown Wuthering Heights GCQABV
    Psycho Urban Cache #7 - A Good Day to Die GCQHBH
    Psycho Backcountry Cache #3 - Bitch Creek Crossing GCQNN5
    Psycho Backcountry Cache #4 - High Country Cave GCQNT7

Hey Vinny!

Me and the other guys in Team Psycho LAUGH at your pathetic attempts at so called Psycho Urban Caches! :santa: HA! We sneer :santa: at you, taunt you :santa: .....OH YEAH! When you putting some more out? We're going through withdrawl. We've actually resorted to doing regular 1/1's :santa:

For everyone else the above was meant tongue in cheek. We've had FUN doing Vinny's caches. Oh Yeah! I've got FTF on 6 of the 7 Psycho Urban Caches in Frederick. Time for another one. :santa:

Larry (lpyankeefan)