Maybe A Dumb Question....

SkyWrench

but I just have to ask. Anyone tried caching without a GPS? And if so, are they really successful? Just curious, cause I am a masochist, and I love my map and compass. Not that I am anti-GPS, I really love my Magellan, just really love a challenge(and I'm a sucker for mental anguish) :laughing:

WaldenRun has found thousands, and generally does not use a GPSr.

Web-ling is another person who does most of his cache hunting sans GPS.

It obviously can be done. I've found a few myself that way. Its probably much easier in hilly areas or other areas with a lot of terrain features. It might not be as easy in Kansas or Oaklahoma.

Hmm, I am in Oklahoma, why would it be hard out here without a GPSr?

WaldenRun has found thousands, and generally does not use a GPSr.

Web-ling is another person who does most of his cache hunting sans GPS.

It obviously can be done. I've found a few myself that way. Its probably much easier in hilly areas or other areas with a lot of terrain features. It might not be as easy in Kansas or Oaklahoma.

Hmm, I am in Oklahoma, why would it be hard out here without a GPSr?

Well not everywhere in Oaklahoma, but much of it is flat. To help pinpoint caches without a GPS a topo map is vital. Hills, cliffs and mountains make it far easier. Since a topo map won't show many contour lines on the plains it makes it much more difficult to pinpoint a cache.

Edited by briansnat

I've done the no GPS thing a few times. Once with nothing but the name of the street. The hide was fairly obviouse. My first cache I only thought I knew where it was and I did not find it. Later with photo's of the general vicinity we found it about 100' over from what I had a**-U-MEd was ground zero. In a rock pile to boot.

My very first find was done without a GPS. It's strange how well I remember that day. Since then, I've done several without my GPS. There have to be a few elements present to be sucessful such as knowing the area well, maybe a clue, knowing what kind of container you're searching for, that sort of thing. I've found using QuakeMaps is a big help. I pull up the photo and have very good idea of where the cache is. Granted, it's not much help with a cache in the middle of the woods, but it will show you exactly which tree it's in in a cemetery.

I suppose if you really wanted to get right down to it, QuakeMap could also get you pretty close even if you were hunting a cache in the woods. By using the grid marks and proper measurments, you just might be able to pinpoint a search area. Then, if someone left a hint like "under the fallen tree" you would probably stand a pretty good chance of finding it.

I used that exact method to find this cache.....although, I wasn't given much choice in the matter. As it turned out, my measuring skills were pretty good that day and I came within 8 feet of the cache.

Scoob