I Just Can't Find Caches!

johntclever

I'm brand new to the geocaching sport...but I'm having all sorts of trouble finding caches.

I've gone after about a dozen caches but only found two--and thats even after the tips and reading posts!

I have enjoyed getting out and finding parks in my area but I want to find some caches too.

It is somewhat frustrating and I'm looking for some tips from more experienced cachers out there.

Please help!!!

Welcome, johntclever! :laughing:

For the two caches you did find, did your GPSr indicate that you were close to the right spot (within 50 feet or so) when you found them? If not, perhaps your GPSr is not set up correctly.

Geocaching.com uses WGS84 datum, and the coordinates are specified as Degrees, Minutes, Decimal Minutes. Double check to make sure these settings are correct on your device. If they are, or you don't know what this means, post back here again.

well I can't say I'm experienced, but I have found some. Fist of all, start with the lower ratings ones first, to build up your confidence. Take your time, be patient. As the above poster mentioned, make sure that your GPS is setup right. Your GPS with good reception will get you within 50 feet of the cache. Look around, notice things.

Look for something out of place. An unnatural pile of sticks or rocks. The easier caches will allow you to be familiar with how cachers hide their caches so that as you get better you can recognize potential spots. We have one cacher in my area who hides most of his caches either covered with rocks or under larger rocks. Now if I do one of his caches, I've learned where to concentrate my searches. Don't get discouraged.

If your GPS is set to WGS84 and you have entered way points correctly, and it gets you to within 10-30 feet of cache ( you have found two).... The rest is up to you... As others have said, look for things out of place, something that isn't quite natural, look in hollow of near by tree, look under garbage can, look under drinking fountain, look in end of old rotted log. Look, look, look....

One of the things I do is put down GPS and backpack where GPS says I'm dead on the spot (or as close as it will register) and cast a search in a circle ever expanding out around the GPS/Backpack position.

Think if as a lost key, its something that you have to look at every square inch of areas to find. If you have GPS parameters correct and other have found specific cache then it means you just have not seen it!.... There is no place sacred when hiding a cache, it could be anywhere, most likely where you least expect it., like down what appears like a animal burrow or maybe hanging up in a tree, or....

Dale