AT Hiker Jeanette Seeking Geocacher Paul

Hey, yooz gize, I'm back! Caretaking now at the Denali Wilderness Lodge in the Wood River Valley, will be out here for 9 months of solitude, 40-odd miles from the nearest human. Will have occasional internet access when I fire up the generator, so get the word back out on my search for Paul and keep in touch, kay? (I haven't given a thought to Paul in a long time, but was just talking to the new owner here about planting a cache on our mountain and I got to thinking about the "old days" of last summer.

I'll look forward to some virtual company...I am a sociable hermette, after all!

Girl, what in the blue blazes are you doing up there? It gets cold there, doncha know?

You need to come on down to Houston, Texas and get some serious caching done. It only gets cold here about 7 days a year, and that's in a bad year. :D

Not to be disrespectful or anything, but I looked at your profile.

Why does this all seem awful familiar?

I dunno, CR, what seems awful or familiar about all this? And looking at my profile is AOK by me...come to think of it, I haven't visited this place in a year and I don't remember what's on my profile. I'll go check it out later and update it, a lot has happened in the past year. Gotta run for now, tho, I have to haul and chop a few cords of firewood. Winter will be here any day now, no more time for playing for me today...

Later, you nice GCin' peeps! :(

I dunno, CR, what seems awful or familiar about all this? And looking at my profile is AOK by me...come to think of it, I haven't visited this place in a year and I don't remember what's on my profile. I'll go check it out later and update it, a lot has happened in the past year. Gotta run for now, tho, I have to haul and chop a few cords of firewood. Winter will be here any day now, no more time for playing for me today...

Writer... Over wintering as a caretaker at a snowed-in lodge... No one around for miles...

All you need is a spouse and a little boy who talks to "Tony" who lives in his mouth...

EDIT: fixed quote tag

Edited by CoyoteRed

Writer... Over wintering as a caretaker at a snowed-in lodge... No one around for miles...

All you need is a spouse and a little boy who talks to "Tony" who lives in his mouth...

EDIT: fixed quote tag

:(:huh::o

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Dear friends,

It's been a while, but I haven't forgotten all of you and your cute little thingies! No, I never did hear from Paul, but I thought I'd update you on a fun turn of events... two weeks ago, I did a Google search on jobs in a certain National Park, found something interesting, e-mailed the contact, and within ten hours of that Google search I was packed up and on the road to........

North 63, 32', 12" .0; West 150, 58', 49".7

(I only know these coords because this place is so remote that they're posted on the office wall in front of me for emergencies.)

So, if you're ever hunting down a cache in this neck of the woods, drop me a line! (Just be on the lookout for grizzlies, wolves, and mooses out here in my new back yard!)

Take care, you wonderful peeps, you!

Jeanette

DiemCarper:

Re-reading this thread and now learing about where you have landed a job reminds me a little of a book I recently read. If you can get your hands on a copy, it's worth the read. Here's a link: The Last Season

Yeah, it can be a bit of a dark read at times, but the book really helped me to appreciate the life and work of a backcountry ranger. Although that's not exactly what you're doing right now, the similarities are still there. I don't think you have to worry any about being too isolated, though, since you can access the net and spend a few minutes connecting with civilization once in a while. I like being alone, but I have my limits. :laughing:

Best of luck in your new job. I hope you thoroughly enjoy it and the beautiful scenery around you.

Jeanette, thanks for sending us your fascinating update! I have a good friend -- a friend since childhood -- named Art, who is a wildlife biologist and has worked many jobs all over Alaska. He worked for two years at Denali as a wildlife interpreter or something related to that, and durig that time, he turned down offers to live in the bunkers/housing provided, and instead lived year-round in a tent he had pitched near the building where he worked. Oh, and please do me a favor and put a few pictures (esp. one of you!) in your gallery!