AT Hiker Jeanette Seeking Geocacher Paul

I can't seem to get that nice, funny, handsome man out of my head! Paul, if you're out there, I'd love to hear from you, and to get to know you better.

Please email...for screening purposes, please insert in the subject line the make/color of the vehicle you were driving, the weather that day, and where you were heading to meet your friends.

:laughing:

I can't seem to get that nice, funny, handsome man out of my head!  Paul, if you're out there, I'd love to hear from you, and to get to know you better. 

Please email...for screening purposes, please insert in the subject line the make/color of the vehicle you were driving, the weather that day, and where you were heading to meet your friends.

:laughing:

Subject:

2005 Ferrari Enzo - Red, Sunny in the 80's, I was heading to one of my estates for an event at my private Geocaching park

Edited by soreyes

Since only a small percentage of cachers read the forums, maybe you can find Paul by looking at who found the geocaches in the area.

I tried doing a search for the cites of Springer and Suches, but only found the former in NM & OK, and the latter in GA. Quite a drive! If you can be more specific about the locations, and where you think he found caches, maybe we can help.

Small world.

No, I'm not Paul, but I have friends who own land in Suches near the AT. Great camping area, and sometimes you get to see aircraft flying training missions from the Ranger base, Camp Frank D. Merrill.

There's quite a few hikers and a good number of caches in the area, so you may have a chore locating the person for whom you're searching.

Good luck.

EDIT: BTW, if you ever hike back through there, try to find a way to have breakfast at Lenny's near Hog Pen Gap. If you put the mental picture of the name of the road out of your mind, you can score a really great breakfast for a reasonable price.

Edited by Strapped-4-Cache
I wish I were Paul.

I don't know about that. We haven't seen Jeanette yet :o .

:drama: OK, y'all can stop panting over the mystery chick... I'm no supermodel, but I've been told I have a friendly face (the kind that makes babies, kids, and elderly folks like me on the spot!) My one vanity WAS my long hair, but I cut off a two-foot ponytail and donated it to a place that makes wigs for sick kids, then buzz-cut the rest with my brother-in-law's beard trimmer to make it mega-low-maintenance for my AT hike. Within a week I was hit on by two women, lol! So, if you're under 13, over 70, or a lesbian you might not find me tooooo hard on the eyes (keep it CLEAN, my friends, don't even think what I think you might be thinking!!) :laughing: It's my sparkling personality and erudite wit that the world lusts after. :)

en buzz-cut the rest with my brother-in-law's beard trimmer to make it mega-low-maintenance for my AT hike

So tell us about the trip. You thru hike it? Or just out for a few days/weeks?

Set out to thruhike (GA-ME), currently off-trail recup-ing a hip that seems to be 30 years older than the rest of me...it declared mutiny about 70 miles into my hike. :laughing:

BTW, briansnat, I see you're a neighbor. I'm currently at my sister's place in Butler.

I'm currently at my sister's place in Butler.

A stones throw away! Next town over. There is some nice hiking in the area if your hip mends. And actually, you can catch the AT right in Kinnelon these days. Hop on the Four Birds trail. Take it to the Highlands trail and to the AT. I can literally get there from my back door. OK its a good day, day and a half walk, but I *could* do it if I were so inclined.

I wish I were Paul.

I don't know about that. We haven't seen Jeanette yet :drama: .

:o OK, y'all can stop panting over the mystery chick... I'm no supermodel, but I've been told I have a friendly face (the kind that makes babies, kids, and elderly folks like me on the spot!) My one vanity WAS my long hair, but I cut off a two-foot ponytail and donated it to a place that makes wigs for sick kids, then buzz-cut the rest with my brother-in-law's beard trimmer to make it mega-low-maintenance for my AT hike. Within a week I was hit on by two women, lol! So, if you're under 13, over 70, or a lesbian you might not find me tooooo hard on the eyes (keep it CLEAN, my friends, don't even think what I think you might be thinking!!) :laughing: It's my sparkling personality and erudite wit that the world lusts after. :)

A woman who is thru-hiking the AT, tech-savvy enough to find her way here to find a geocacher, expands her vocabulary with words like "erudite", and has a penchant for long hair?

I wish I were Paul.

I wish I were Paul.

I don't know about that. We haven't seen Jeanette yet :drama: .

:o OK, y'all can stop panting over the mystery chick... I'm no supermodel, but I've been told I have a friendly face (the kind that makes babies, kids, and elderly folks like me on the spot!) My one vanity WAS my long hair, but I cut off a two-foot ponytail and donated it to a place that makes wigs for sick kids, then buzz-cut the rest with my brother-in-law's beard trimmer to make it mega-low-maintenance for my AT hike. Within a week I was hit on by two women, lol! So, if you're under 13, over 70, or a lesbian you might not find me tooooo hard on the eyes (keep it CLEAN, my friends, don't even think what I think you might be thinking!!) :laughing: It's my sparkling personality and erudite wit that the world lusts after. :)

A woman who is thru-hiking the AT, tech-savvy enough to find her way here to find a geocacher, expands her vocabulary with words like "erudite", and has a penchant for long hair?

I wish I were Paul.

Ya really!

Now, how does she feel about gun-control? :D

Jeanette, please do keep us updated in this thread.  I'm sure I'm not just speaking for myself in saying that we'd like to hear how this story plays out.  Hopefully, you'll find the correct Paul, fall in love, get married, and live happily ever after; but however the story plays out — for good or for ill — we'd like to hear it.

I want to hear more about your sparkling personality, and what you think you might find if you buy one of those thingies.  :D  :lol:

Edit: BTW, it is a complete coincidence that Crim and I brought up the thingie thing at the same time!  :o  :o

oh, now, you guys leave her be...the gal's just lookin for love in all the right places....

seriously, tho, DiemCarper, the guys in this forum are much more tuned in to gadgets and gizmos, and are more likely to recognize the elusive Paul's GPS than anything.....so, if you can describe for them what Paul's little thingie looked like, they may actually be able to help you track him down.....

:P

Edited by ElementaryWatson
  Jeanette, please do keep us updated in this thread...  Hopefully, you'll find the correct Paul, fall in love, get married, and live happily ever after...

:lol: Well, folks, looks like this romance doesn't get a "happily ever after"... I did find Paul, thanks to Lil Devil's tip (he reported a find in the AT area in GA, bio is a perfect match) I emailed him a brief hello last week, and I see from his profile that he's been online visiting this site since, but I haven't heard from him.

~sniffle~ Will I never find my heart's desire? ~sob~

Seriously, though, it's been fun hangin' with my geocachin' homies and their spiffy little thingies! :o Thanks to everyone who offered helpful hints and encouragement!

~aside~ ju66l3r, maybe someday when my broken heart has mended... :o

Sadly, True Love can't be navigated by a gps unit,

But please don't fret. There are plenty of fellows, myself included that would love to meet a nice person like yourself, who loves geocaching.

Anyone who would cut their hair for children with an illness shows a true and kind soul.

You will meet your Prince someday, I promise.... :lol:

Well, even though you haven't heard from him (yet, anyway), I do have to say

YOU GO GIRL! And that's for hiking the AT, butching up your hair, being nice to old people, AND having the guts (and know how) to track down Paul.

And, that GPS thingy may be a worthwhile investment - after 10 pretty much single years peppered by the ocassional HORRIFIC date, I met my boyfriend of the last year GEOCACHING!

Jeanette, please do keep us updated in this thread...  Hopefully, you'll find the correct Paul, fall in love, get married, and live happily ever after...

:lol: Well, folks, looks like this romance doesn't get a "happily ever after"... I did find Paul, thanks to Lil Devil's tip (he reported a find in the AT area in GA, bio is a perfect match) I emailed him a brief hello last week, and I see from his profile that he's been online visiting this site since, but I haven't heard from him.

~sniffle~ Will I never find my heart's desire? ~sob~

Seriously, though, it's been fun hangin' with my geocachin' homies and their spiffy little thingies! :o Thanks to everyone who offered helpful hints and encouragement!

~aside~ ju66l3r, maybe someday when my broken heart has mended... :o

definitely, I second CoolLibrarian's emotion....

So, wring your widdle heart out, pin it back upon your sleeve...and hightail it back here with your new GPS in hand....

you ain't gonna find a more fun buncha guys...and when you buy a "real" membership here at Gc.com, you can even hang out "inside" at the off-topic forum, which is always a total hoot....

Like I keep telling all my single gal pals: ...you gotta check out this geocaching...it's raining men over here.....!!!!!

:D

Thanks, gang! I definitely will take up geocaching...I'm soooooo impressed by the caliber of the people I've been meeting! It would be good physical therapy for this bum hip of mine, too. I have to say, though, I won't be hiking the AT next spring with a GPS thingie in hand, or I'd be the laughingstock of the trail ("'scuse me, ma'am, could you tell me the coordinates for the next white blaze?") :o I got enough ridicule for packing a compass!

DiemCarper,

You can always tell them you are keeping a tracklog of your adventures. It is lots of fun to look back on a hike overlaid on a satelitte photo of the area and see the coverage and such of a days hike.

You can also take photos with a digital camera and using Quakemap have the photos overlaid on the tracklog right where you took them.

Thanks, gang! I definitely will take up geocaching...I'm soooooo impressed by the caliber of the people I've been meeting! It would be good physical therapy for this bum hip of mine, too. I have to say, though, I won't be hiking the AT next spring with a GPS thingie in hand, or I'd be the laughingstock of the trail ("'scuse me, ma'am, could you tell me the coordinates for the next white blaze?") :o I got enough ridicule for packing a compass!

'Glad to have you join the teeming masses of geocachers.

Don't ever be embarrased to have your GPS with you. I carry mine to work with me and wherever I happen to be going. You never know when you are going to be near a cache and suddenly have the time to find it.

Keep it in your purse and carry fresh batteries.

Heck, I even use mine just to find my car again when I go to the mall!

:D

I got enough ridicule for packing a compass!

Isn't that the truth? You AT hikers are outta my league. I met a bunch of them several years ago at Damascus (Trail Days); most of those guys don't carry a compass, map, camera, binocs--all things I must have. Not to mention my GPSr! :o:D

Isn't that the truth?  You AT hikers are outta my league.  I met a bunch of them several years ago at Damascus (Trail Days); most of those guys don't carry a compass, map, camera, binocs--all things I must have.  Not to mention my GPSr!  :lol:  :ph34r:

I picked up a couple of thru hikers in VT and gave them a ride into Bennington for food. Gawd did they smell bad! An hour after I dropped them off my car still stunk like BO.

I've been out on the trail for as many as 5 days, sans shower and I don't recall smelling that bad - but I'm sure I did.

Edited by briansnat
I think in honor of Jeanette, we should officially rename the GPSr to the GPS Thingy. It has a lot more class, but might raise the incidence of thingy envy! :lol:

GeoForse

And that would certainly make talking to land managers / law enforcement SO much more fun.... :ph34r:

Well shucks, officer, we wuz jes' followin this here 'lectronic Thingie, and it said to look under the bridge. "

Heck, what better way to convince them your not a terrorist ?

Best wishes Jeanette. Keep us informed !

~aside~ ju66l3r, maybe someday when my broken heart has mended... :P

I'm good with rebounds.

In the meantime, if you sent him an e-mail through his profile, are you sure that you checked the box to "send my e-mail address with the message"? Because if not, he has to go to your profile to send you e-mail. Not a big deal, for sure, but it might be enough that he doesn't make it a quick response.

When you get up to MA/NH on the AT, I'll be down in Boston...hopefully a few months on the trail will help your heart. :o

I picked up a couple of thru hikers in VT ... Gawd did they smell bad! An hour after I dropped them off my car still stunk like BO.

Ahhhhh, maybe THAT explains it...Paul might have been so preoccupied with trying to breathe that he couldn't pick up on my "sparkling personality and erudite wit"!!!!!

Paul, I don't ALWAYS smell that bad, I SWEAR!

:o

Edited by DiemCarper
I picked up a couple of thru hikers in VT and gave them a ride into Bennington for food. Gawd did they smell bad! An hour after I dropped them off my car still stunk like BO.

I've been out on the trail for as many as 5 days, sans shower and I don't recall smelling that bad - but I'm sure I did.

Ha, that's funny that you mention that - just yesterday I read an article about how AT (and I'm sure other long distance) hikers literally cannot smell themselves after a few days!

Wait a minute - we sure do smell ourselves. It just doesn't matter too much anymore. :o

BTW, you can stay somewhat clean on the Trail, you just have to make an effort. But deodorant is too heavy to carry. And I got so I could smell non-thru hikers a good distance off, if the wind was right. I guess that's how I smell now when I'm out there caching..... :P

I picked up a couple of thru hikers in VT ... Gawd did they smell bad! An hour after I dropped them off my car still stunk like BO.

Ahhhhh, maybe THAT explains it...Paul might have been so preoccupied with trying to breathe that he couldn't pick up on my "sparkling personality and erudite wit"!!!!!

Paul, I don't ALWAYS smell that bad, I SWEAR!

:o

He's probably thinking....."Hmmm, this is that chick who smelled really bad, I'll pass"

Ha, that's funny that you mention that - just yesterday I read an article about how AT (and I'm sure other long distance) hikers literally cannot smell themselves after a few days!

Actually, when you really notice it is after you get home and take a shower, then go to throw your clothing in the wash. Wheeeeew!

And I got so I could smell non-thru hikers a good distance off, if the wind was right. I guess that's how I smell now when I'm out there caching...

Even after one or two nights out, I can smell the day hikers from a good distance.