Lat/Lon issue

Guest Norstrom

Guest Norstrom

Ok, I have a Garmin eMap that I just got 2 days ago, and I've been having a blast. I downloaded EasyGPS and I've been using that to plunk in some points. One thing that is eluding me is; lets say I want to enter my home (N43'43.706 W79'13.820), using easyGPS I type in 43.43706 north and 79.13820 west, if I send that to the eMap, and bring up the way point on the screen it comes up as, N43'26.224 W79'08.229, is there some type of conversion that I am no accounting for? I am assuming that N43'43.706 & 43.43706 are the same but obviously not. Any help would be great.

Norstrom

Guest Nemesis

quote:
Originally posted by Norstrom:

...I want to enter my home (N43'43.706 W79'13.820), using easyGPS I type in 43.43706 north and 79.13820 west, if I send that to the eMap, and bring up the way point on the screen it comes up as, N43'26.224 W79'08.229, is there some type of conversion that I am no accounting for?

That's an easy one Norstrom! You are quite right, N43'43.706 is not the same as 43.43706 north. BTW, you should use a degree symbol (a "°") and not a "'" in N43'43.706. It should really read N43°43.706', that is, 43 degrees and 43.706 minutes North. As there are 60 minutes in a degree, you can convert your location into decimal degrees by adding the minutes divided by 60 to degrees, for example, N43°43.706' = 43 degrees + 43.706 minutes / 60 = 43.7284... degrees. If you enter the 43.7284 degrees into EasyGPS it should work. You may also be able to tell EasyGPS to use coordinates in DDDMM.MMM format instead of the DDD.DDDD format you are now using (I don't know, I must get around to trying out EasyGPS at some stage).

Cheers,

Donovan Govan.

Guest Markwell

it and the code for creating the extended character will be displayed in the lower righthand side of the window.

Unfortunately, Windows 98 ver 2 didn't come with Charmap.exe, I had to copy it from an old Windows 95 computer. Good luck.

Guest WaylandersMA

Option K on a Mac does the degree symbol in text.

If it works here: 42? 20'18"N it will work in a post.

[additional edit] Shoot, didn't make it.

[This message has been edited by WaylandersMA (edited 15 June 2001).]

Guest Nemesis

quote:
Originally posted by WaylandersMA:

Try Option-Shift-8, that should work icon_wink.gif (from memory; I'm not currently using a Mac, but I usually do). I think Option-K might be a superscript zero, it's not the same as the degree symbol.

Cheers,

Donovan Govan.

[This message has been edited by Nemesis (edited 15 June 2001).]

Guest Nemesis

quote:
Originally posted by WaylandersMA:

Try Option-Shift-8, that should work icon_wink.gif (from memory; I'm not currently using a Mac, but I usually do). I think Option-K might be a superscript zero, it's not the same as the degree symbol.

Cheers,

Donovan Govan.

[This message has been edited by Nemesis (edited 15 June 2001).]