1000 Waypoints

Jeep-O-Caching

You already can receive up to 2500 cache listings a day through Pocket Queries. Through creative PQs you can get over 1,000 caches in your area easily, today. So the answer is you can do this now, and more.

I see now what someone meant by saying that Jeremy had already answered me. How am I supposed to know that this was the official response?

Sorry you didn't know that Jeremy is the owner of the website. I thought it was common knowledge ;)

Okay, so why can't we grab up to 5 PQ's or up to 2500 waypoints, whichever comes first?  If server load is the issue, then this change wouldn't change a thing.  If someone 'stealing' Groundspeak's data is the issue, then this wouldn't change a thing there either.  I can only assume that those who are not in favor of this live in areas with less cache density or have already mined out there local area over time.  Imagine being in my shoes with 1000's of caches, untouched by me, within the area I commute through and do daily errands in?

Any changes to the current system would require some programming. I'm not the programmer, so I don't want to say "it's easy" to change. It probably requires quite a bit of work.

I can also see now what some folks meant about making several queries with multiple date ranges being *possible* to set up, but can you do a date range AND other characteristics like radius from a location at the same time?  Even so, should I have to construct and balance by size several queries, then wait for them all to come in, match them up, coallate and edit them, and then upload them?  If I have to, I suppose I will, but I don't see why it should be necessary (see P2 above).

You can preview any pocket query to make sure it contains the correct data. When you create it, leave the day of the week section blank. That way you aren't putting an extra load on the server. You can select many options, such as "within a 500 mile radius, but only in New York, and placed after June 7th, 2003". That way you don't get caches placed in New Jersey, but you do cover the entire state of New York. See how that works? Plenty of us can help you set them up to do exactly what you want to do. Once setup, you rarely have to edit them.

As to the folks saying that their GPSr's only support 500 waypoints, have they downloaded the software updates for their equipment?  It might work a miracle for them.

No, models like the Etrex Yellow do not have the physical memory for more waypoints. The Yellow is one of the most popular models, especially for beginners. The Camo and Venture also only hold 500 waypoints, it's not until you get as high as the Legend before you enter 1000 waypoint territory.

The Magellan eXplorist 100, 200,and I think even the 300 (released last year) only hold 500 waypoints. I'm not going to name all the brands and models, but 500 has been "standard" for quite some time. The high end models are capable of more, but it will take a long time before everyone upgrades to them, if ever. The Yellow still works for many.

...is there an update to make it possible to hold 1000?

Does this update ( if available for the platinum) increase the number of cache names the GPS will store?

No and No. The 200 waypoint (<-I think) extended description limitation is rather bullsh*t in my book. The 500 WP limit is pretty standard, except for some of those non-Magellan GPSrs.

I actually typed a nice big reply to this thread last night, but I decided not to post it.

I have a Meridian Gold, and here's what I do..

I have about 8 PQs set to run staggered, about 3 a day, sometimes 4, whatever I need. So by Friday, or Sunday, depending on what day I start, I have a huge list of caches. I could do it in about 4 or 5, but I have seperate ones for new caches, mysterys, events, and virtuals that I run when I need. I use selective centering, and I have it so my radii overlap slightly, but not too much. I have about 2000 caches that result from my PQs after sorting, updating, and truncating dupes. GSAK sorts them as I see fit. I actually have a script set so it runs 3 different filters, and then exports 3 separate Cachemate databases. Then I load the 1300-1500 waypoints into my Merigold, 480 at a time, saving each set to SD after I load them, then load the next set of 480, and then I load the final 500 (virtuals) into it and save that one seperate too. This way the closest 480 to my centerpoint (HOME) are saved to the SD as the first file (1), the next 480 are the next outlying caches. Usually the 480 are exhausted about 20 miles around home.

Okay, on the update thing - I know it worked a miracle with my eTrex Legend, that is all I can tell you. The later eTrex all do 1000 as far as I know.

Anyway, here is the flaw with the date range searches: now I have multiple files to look through for cache descriptions in MobiPocket! If that isn't truely a pain in the a** I don't know what is...

I have about 8 PQs set to run staggered, about 3 a day, sometimes 4, whatever I need. So by Friday, or Sunday, depending on what day I start, I have a huge list of caches. I could do it in about 4 or 5, but I have seperate ones for new caches, mysterys, events, and virtuals that I run when I need. I use selective centering, and I have it so my radii overlap slightly, but not too much. I have about 2000 caches that result from my PQs after sorting, updating, and truncating dupes. GSAK sorts them as I see fit. I actually have a script set so it runs 3 different filters, and then exports 3 separate Cachemate databases. Then I load the 1300-1500 waypoints into my Merigold, 480 at a time, saving each set to SD after I load them, then load the next set of 480, and then I load the final 500 (virtuals) into it and save that one seperate too. This way the closest 480 to my centerpoint (HOME) are saved to the SD as the first file (1), the next 480 are the next outlying caches. Usually the 480 are exhausted about 20 miles around home.

I think this makes my point nicely. Is whatever he said what I have to do to get more than 60 km of data? Ack!

Ok. dumb question time.

The pocket query will let you enter a number as high as 999 in the blanks for number of waypoint and miles of distance, but then defaults to the max of 500. Is the programming there for the 1000 - 1 waypoint download and there are other underlying reason why this can't be done now or ever?

Surely there is an answer that will make sense. Even if it is no, I just don't want to..

I think this makes my point nicely. Is whatever he said what I have to do to get more than 60 km of data? Ack!

And I think someone else also made a nice point. If you've only found 24 caches in all the time you've been caching, do you really need to have 5000 cache pages handy every weekend? Aside from a virtual in Maine he logged but didn't really visit, every cache he's ever done except one fit's within a 20 mile radius, and the one is only just outside of it. Being in one of the most cache-dense areas of the world, there are about 800 caches in his normal caching area. Still easy to do in 2 PQs, especially since his GPS only accepts 500 at a time. Surely he doesn't really need 8 PQs to cover the area. That still leaves him 1500 caches A DAY outside his normal caching area for special trips etc. Anyway you slice it, it's way more caches then is humanly possible to find in a day, and that after all IS what PQs were designed to be used for.

If you want to use your screwdriver as a pry bar, you have no right to complain that it broke when you pried on it.

Umm. So I can't possibly have a worthwhile opinion since i've only logged 24 finds?

I also refuse to accept a 'normal caching area'. If I have to go to Yuba City or Galt (local towns outside of my 'NCA') I don't want to have to go home, run a PQ, wait for it, update my GPS, hotsync the PDA, and then go. I want to grab my GPS, complete with my less than weekold info, my PDA, and get to moving ASAP I may not have time to waste. The huge amount is necessary not for numbers, but to cover the area I wish to cover. I keep all these caches on there, because i'm out driving around in the hills all the time for fun, and I want them on my PDA so I can see when I pass one up, and go look for it if I like the description of it. Like I said, I don't have 8 PQs to cover my area, some of them have different sorting functions... about 4 or 5 will cover a huge amount caches, but also the whole three-county . 1 or 2 will cover my 'daily limit' of cache finding, but not the AREA I wish to cover. They're far too dense around here.

Mopars just upset cause i'm so smart.. ;)

... I don't want to have to go home, run a PQ, wait for it, update my GPS, hotsync the PDA, and then go. ...

Wouldn't want to inconvenience anybody now would we.......... :lol:

Do a PQ on 500 caches that are interesting to you by using the filters and sorted a bit in GSAK - load 'em in your PDA and GPS and off you go --- should be enough to keep you busy for weeks.... or am I missing something here??

In a few weeks - do it all over again......filter out those you have found - add new ones that perk your interest.

I just am having a *real* hard time understanding the need to have EVERY cache within a radius of X miles at your immediate finger tips at all times. Stop enjoy the caches and scenery. Go home once in a while and log them. Run a new query and you are all set again with 500.

Or - use the WAP interface via a cell phone - get a fancy cell with built in GPS. All caches all descriptions right with you at alkl times.

Do a PQ on 500 caches that are interesting to you by using the filters and sorted a bit in GSAK - load 'em in your PDA and GPS and off you go --- should be enough to keep you busy for weeks.... or am I missing something here??

In a few weeks - do it all over again......filter out those you have found - add new ones that perk your interest.

I just am having a *real* hard time understanding the need to have EVERY cache within a radius of X miles at your immediate finger tips at all times. Stop enjoy the caches and scenery. Go home once in a while and log them. Run a new query and you are all set again with 500.

This is getting too off topic..

No, actually, I don't want to be inconvenienced. This is why I bought a Palm. So I *could* have every cache within x miles of my house. I can pick and choose in the field. Instead of going home and looking up a cache, then planning for a trip, I can check it out in my car via Cachemate, read the past logs, how recently it was logged, type of cache, hints, etc. Is this that unreasonable?

Another point is that 'in a few weeks' many caches in my area are muggled, archived, disabled, or just gone.

I pay for premium member staus, I might as well use it as much to my advantage is possible.

Back on topic...

Jeep: It is my understanding that if you have less than 500 waypoints within 60km, then you only will need one PQ. More than 500 within your target area, you'll have to get creative, either by multiple PQs, filtering by Multi, Virtual, etc.

Edited by Marcie/Eric
...This is why I bought a Palm. So I *could* have every cache within x miles of my house. I can pick and choose in the field. Instead of going home and looking up a cache, then planning for a trip, I can check it out in my car via Cachemate, read the past logs, how recently it was logged, type of cache, hints, etc. Is this that unreasonable?

Ok - so you can run 5 queries per day at 500 each - use the same query full of interesting caches for a few weeks until you bag them all and you can be sure to have the most up-to-date data with you by updating 5 times a day.

sigh......still can't see the need for 1000 - except maybe for extended trip planning. But even then........Aren't 500 enough?? unless you plan to be gone for a few months.....

My point being.....you clearly aren't going to visit ALL of those caches before getting an update. So why do you need even 500 let alone 1000 or more?? Use the queries to limit the size, difficulty and other factors that appeal to you until you have 500. Go Find them. Adjust the queries for some other interesting set - find them - and so on..... you could even reuse the queries once in a while just for variety.....

Sure I grab 500 for some trips but I come home once in a while to log what I found. - then I can get more and go.

If you want full access to the database at all times - get a cell phone and use the WAP. Or figure some way to get on the internet at all times in all locations. Short of that - use the tools given to you to actually plan ahead - just a little bit.

'nuff said - sorry if I offended anybody but I truely am having a hard time understanding a true NEED for even 500 let alone 1000 or more on a weekly, daily or more frequent basis.

I don't have a celfone..

I also don't see the need for more than 500/PQ. That's not what i'm advocating. My whole point is that you can have over a thousand caches through selective PQing. Most people will never need that many, I don't need that many, but I like to pick and choose, and not rely on only having a WP on my GPS. I like to skip tough micros, or muggle-heavy areas. I also update on Friday, thus filtering out archived, and updating the last 5 logs.

IMHO, I do use the tools given to me. I plan ahead, complete with a huge database, that's my pleasure.My pleasure is not having to come home and plan ahead and then drive. I hit them while in the area of them.

Finally: I think 500 per PQ is plenty enough for anyone to use, and no need to increase the max to 1000 or something. With 5*500 you can have 2500 caches per day!

Anyway, here is the flaw with the date range searches: now I have multiple files to look through for cache descriptions in MobiPocket! If that isn't truely a pain in the a** I don't know what is...

Okay, then, can anyone tell me how to coallate my ebook files? Right now I have to have two or more with me to look through for the text to go with any waypoint on my GPSr that I want to know more about. There is no way to tell which type of cache it is from the waypoint, therefore no way to tell which PQ it arrived in, therefore no way to know which ebook to look in for the text. If the data all arrived in a single PQ then the text would all be in a single ebook and I'd have it alot easier in the field.

One or more of you seem to feel that having data on all the waypoints in a 60 or more km radius of my home is unreasonable. The suggestion has been made that I need to filter better, or that I need to plan better before I leave home. Let me make this perfectly clear: Where I live, if I filter on *only* traditional caches that I have not yet found and that are active within the state that 500 hits only currently goes out to 37 miles from my home. This is a gradually expanding radius as I log caches found within that radius. Also, I don't mind updating my data only every week or two, but I do mind being told that I have to plan exactly what area I'm going to be in every day for the next week or two, or I'm some kind of dim bulb. I often travel 37 or more miles to work every day, and the location of that work can be different every day of the week and I don't know in advance where I'll be. Just because something seems reasonable to you doesn't mean it has to be reasonable to me.

Your GPSr only holds 500? Well mine doesn't. Your GPSr might not have WAAS either, but don't expect me to go into the field looking for a micro without it. My receiver returns me to the same spots day after day often within a meter. I like it that way. Maybe you are okay with only being dumped off with a 40 meter circle to search, but that doesn't thrill me much.

I still have not heard any kind of reasonable or official argument as to why the limit needs to be 500. Even if I balance and coallate multiple PQ's for the waypoints, the GPSr puts them all in the right place when I am done. The ebook files are not coallated and edited, I still have to look through them one at a time until I find the text for the waypoint I am looking at at any given moment. If you don't have an organizer or a cell phone that holds this kind of data then you don't know what your missing, and you also don't know what your are talking about when you say that multiple queries are equivalent to a single, focused query. Help!

ok - I am back in here for one more attempt.......this time at helping

Jeep-O-Caching - clue us in on a couple of things here so that we can come up with some help for you.

1. What type of PDA are you using?

2. Do you have a PC or MAC? ver of operating system?

3. Generally where do you live?

4. What types of caches do you perfer? (Size, terrian, difficulty)

5. Do you have mapping software available on your PC?

Answer these and some of us will come up with very specific information to help you sort these out with multiple queries to get you to 1000 so you can fill your GPSr easily.

BTW - never implied you are stupid or lazy or anything else - sorry you took it that way. Like I said - I just have trouble understanding the needs you are expressing.

Jeep-O-Caching - clue us in on a couple of things here so that we can come up with some help for you.

1. What type of PDA are you using?

2. Do you have a PC or MAC? ver of operating system?

3. Generally where do you live?

4. What types of caches do you perfer? (Size, terrian, difficulty)

5. Do you have mapping software available on your PC?

Answer these and some of us will come up with very specific information to help you sort these out with multiple queries to get you to 1000 so you can fill your GPSr easily.

I want caches at all difficulty levels and all terrain levels. I want to have as many as will fit in my poor little 1000 waypoint memory, within 50 or so from absolutely full or as close to that as can be reasonably accomplished. I want them updated about once a week on Friday or Sunday at my option with data that is no more than one day old when I put it there. (PQ's on Thursday or Friday, and on Sunday). I want the nearest waypoints to my home coordinates that I have not yet found and that are active. I want caches of types traditional, virtual, earth, multi, and l/b hybrid (only because I assume that that is like a traditional but also works in the l/b community). I only want coordinates within NYS for now, since ranges over a certain distance start bringing in Canada from across the lake. I want the waypoints and the ebook file to match, since my phone won't do the find function in Mobipocket (their software's problem, not my phone's). This means that I have to look through the contents of the ebook file and the only way I have do find anything is by comparing the distance from home in my GPSr with the distances listed in the ebook file's contents list. Usually I guess the distance and look within a range in the ebook's contents list. I want the ranges on the different types of caches to be the same, so I don't unwittingly get out beyond a certain radius and find that I am hunting only virtuals and earth caches or somesuch. I don't want to have to set up the PQ's over and over again, because you miss one radio button and the whole thing is garbage. I don't want to have to periodically readjust the queries after realizing that I'm missing some data or things aren't cooinciding properly.

Now, I could accomplish this quite simply with one query set to 950 waypoints max, specifying the fives aforementioned cache types, specifying the haven't found/is active/within NYS/from origin criteria, and I'd be all set. Okay, that was sarcastic; but it is also exactly why I asked the question in the first place.

Before you start pointing out that I could do this with a single 500 waypoint query and have lots of waypoints available for whimsical waypoint related games in the field, that would only get me out to 46.9 km (29.1 miles) including the 5 caches I found today.

Equipment:

Garmin etrex Legend, currently with the default maps - certainly not top of the line, so I don't know what everyone is so excited about with the 1000 waypoints thing, heck the Vista has an altimeter and a compass in it! Who could need that, and for what?! Sounds suspicious to me ... :lol: Anyway, it was the least expensive thing that Garmin makes with WAAS in it. They're only going for a hair over a 100 bucks used on eBay!

PC at home running Windows XP - no, I don't bring my laptop into the field, nor usually in the car either, nor can I access the Internet from any location more than 50 feet from my home.

Motorola MPX220 (Smartphone O/S, sort of a stripped Win CE) - and no, I don't have the Internet turned on on the thing. That's a bit over the top for me.

German made compass - the kind with the little needle that usually points North.

I don't have expensive mapping software or any specialized geocaching software either. Geocaching has recently caused me to put a copy of Mobipocket on my MPX220 and on my XP PC - say that five times fast! I'm using EasyGPS to move waypoints from the PC to the GPSr and back and MobiPocket to move the ebooks to the MPX220. I use the nice little camera on the MPX220 to take acceptable photos while out caching and that is about all I bring, except of course for the trade goods and the bug spray!

Well, what do you recommend?

...sigh......still can't see the need for 1000 -...

So I'm using my old query and guess what. I drove past my limit today. Dang it. My radius stoped at 500 caches and not at my typical travel range. Too bad I was in some pretty country on the back side of Yellowstone. A cache or two would of been the icing on the cake for this road trip.

PQ's make geocaching easy by going paperless. You have the info when you need it with minimal fuss. That's the entire point. Minimal fuss. One query to the limit of your GPS. Not a bad deal.

I want caches at all difficulty levels and all terrain levels.  I want to have as many as will fit in my poor little 1000 waypoint memory, within 50 or so from absolutely full or as close to that as can be reasonably accomplished.  I want them updated about once a week on Friday or Sunday at my option with data that is no more than one day old when I put it there.  (PQ's on Thursday or Friday, and on Sunday).  I want the nearest waypoints to my home coordinates that I have not yet found and that are active.  I want caches of types traditional, virtual, earth, multi, and l/b hybrid (only because I assume that that is like a traditional but also works in the l/b community).  I only want coordinates within NYS for now, since ranges over a certain distance start bringing in Canada from across the lake.  I want the waypoints and the ebook file to match, since my phone won't do the find function in Mobipocket (their software's problem, not my phone's).  This means that I have to look through the contents of the ebook file and the only way I have do find anything is by comparing the distance from home in my GPSr with the distances listed in the ebook file's contents list.  Usually I guess the distance and look within a range in the ebook's contents list.  I want the ranges on the different types of caches to be the same, so I don't unwittingly get out beyond a certain radius and find that I am hunting only virtuals and earth caches or somesuch.  I don't want to have to set up the PQ's over and over again, because you miss one radio button and the whole thing is garbage.  I don't want to have to periodically readjust the queries after realizing that I'm missing some data or things aren't cooinciding properly.

Now,  I could accomplish this quite simply with one query set to 950 waypoints max, specifying the fives aforementioned cache types, specifying the haven't found/is active/within NYS/from origin criteria, and I'd be all set.  Okay, that was sarcastic; but it is also exactly why I asked the question in the first place.

Before you start pointing out that I could do this with a single 500 waypoint query and have lots of waypoints available for whimsical waypoint related games in the field, that would only get me out to 46.9 km (29.1 miles) including the 5 caches I found today.

Equipment:

Garmin etrex Legend, currently with the default maps - certainly not top of the line, so I don't know what everyone is so excited about with the 1000 waypoints thing, heck the Vista has an altimeter and a compass in it!  Who could need that, and for what?!  Sounds suspicious to me ...  :o  Anyway, it was the least expensive thing that Garmin makes with WAAS in it.  They're only going for a hair over a 100 bucks used on eBay!

PC at home running Windows XP - no, I don't bring my laptop into the field, nor usually in the car either, nor can I access the Internet from any location more than 50 feet from my home.

Motorola MPX220 (Smartphone O/S, sort of a stripped Win CE) - and no, I don't have the Internet turned on on the thing.  That's a bit over the top for me.

German made compass - the kind with the little needle that usually points North.

I don't have expensive mapping software or any specialized geocaching software either.  Geocaching has recently caused me to put a copy of Mobipocket on my MPX220 and on my XP PC - say that five times fast!  I'm using EasyGPS to move waypoints from the PC to the GPSr and back and MobiPocket to move the ebooks to the MPX220.  I use the nice little camera on the MPX220 to take acceptable photos while out caching and that is about all I bring, except of course for the trade goods and the bug spray!

Well, what do you recommend?

I'll give it a go too. These 2 PQs should be a good start. You can tweak them a bit to take into account your finds. With these 2 PQs you will get:

• only caches of types traditional, virtual, earth, multi, and l/b hybrid
  • all difficulty levels and all terrain levels (although personally I would probably filter out terrain 5 caches for normal use, since I don't usually carry around a boat/climbing gear/etc to access them)
  • only active caches
  • only caches you have not found and don't own
  • centered on the town listed as your hometown in your profile
  • only in NY state (not Canada)
  • extending 50 miles out gave me about 900 caches. You will have to tweak the dates/distance to take your amount of finds into account.

PQ #1 (Older caches, shouldn't need to adjust this much after you tweak it the way you like)

PQ #2 (new caches. Keep an eye on this one after you tweak it to make sure it doesn't go over 500 if they hide them faster then you can find them)

900 caches give you some breathing room if the locals are placing new caches faster then you can find them. Depending on the ratio of your finds to new hides, you might have to occasionally tweak the 2 PQs up or down in distance to keep it in the 900-950 cache total range.

As far as your Smartphone goes, I use a Palm OS device so I can't offer any specifics there. I can tell you that not many people use the Mobipocket/Ebook format. If someone can suggest a better format that your smartphone will run; use it. Then you can use a program like Watcher (free) or GSAK (shareware) to merge the 2 PQs together before converting them to a format your phone can read. Then all the caches will be in one file, and easy to find. If you must use the Ebook format on your phone, see if you can find a program that will convert the merged GPX format PQ to Ebook. If GPSbabel does it, then GSAK should be able to do that for you as well. I'm not sure, I don't personally use GSAK. Otherwise there may be a stand-alone GPX to Ebook converter you can use. Hope this helps a little.

Edited by Mopar

A few more comments.

I don't want to have to set up the PQ's over and over again, because you miss one radio button and the whole thing is garbage.

When you are setting a a new PQ, don't set a day to run. Then you can run the search on the website and check to make sure the results are what you want. After you have a PQ set exactly the way you want can set the days you want it to run on.

I don't want to have to periodically readjust the queries after realizing that I'm missing some data or things aren't cooinciding properly.

Now, I could accomplish this quite simply with one query set to 950 waypoints max, specifying the fives aforementioned cache types, specifying the haven't found/is active/within NYS/from origin criteria, and I'd be all set. Okay, that was sarcastic; but it is also exactly why I asked the question in the first place.

Changing the limit to 1000 actually wouldn't help you. If you hit the max number of waypoints (be it 100, 500, or 950) and there are more caches then that number that fit your criteria, it seems that the excess caches are dropped by date, not by distance. So you would still need to periodically readjust the queries or you may possibly miss getting a new cache a mile down the road while still getting the old caches 100 miles away.

Edited by Mopar
Changing the limit to 1000 actually wouldn't help you. If you hit the max number of waypoints (be it 100, 500, or 950) and there are more caches then that number that fit your criteria, it seems that the excess caches are dropped by date, not by distance. So you would still need to periodically readjust the queries or you may possibly miss getting a new cache a mile down the road while still getting the old caches 100 miles away.

This is probably true if you are running date range PQ's, but the caches are dropped by range when you are doing a coordinate based search. This is perfect, since it gets exactly the current maximum number of caches every time.

This is probably true if you are running date range PQ's, but the caches are dropped by range when you are doing a coordinate based search. This is perfect, since it gets exactly the current maximum number of caches every time.

Now I'm gonna have to check! That wasn't true a few years ago when we ran some tests. Even on range-based searches it used to grab waypoints up to the max based on the GC number (which would essentially be oldest to newest). If that's been fixed/changed in the last 2 yrs thats great to know!

OK, in the time it took to type the above, I set up an received a test PQ, and you are correct. Good to know that was finally fixed/changed.

Which does bring up one other point. Instead of always trying to max everything out, it's really not that big a deal to get a new PQ for when you want to venture a little further. Personally, I have 2 PQs set up to get me all my unfounds in CT, but I skip NY. Long Island is only 20 miles away as the crow flies, but it's a $100 ferry ride or a 2hr drive to get there. Other parts of NY are almost as close, but since I rarely cache in that area, I just exclude it. If I'm planning a trip across the state line, I'll grab a quick PQ for the area I'm gonna be in. Rare that it takes more then 5-10 minutes from the time I start setting the PQ up til the time it's loaded in my GPS and PDA.

Edited by Mopar
Which does bring up one other point. Instead of always trying to max everything out, it's really not that big a deal to get a new PQ for when you want to venture a little further. Personally, I have 2 PQs set up to get me all my unfounds in CT, but I skip NY. Long Island is only 20 miles away as the crow flies, but it's a $100 ferry ride or a 2hr drive to get there. Other parts of NY are almost as close, but since I rarely cache in that area, I just exclude it. If I'm planning a trip across the state line, I'll grab a quick PQ for the area I'm gonna be in. Rare that it takes more then 5-10 minutes from the time I start setting the PQ up til the time it's loaded in my GPS and PDA.

Substitute NY for CT in the above and you have a whole different problem - my problem.

Also, on the idea of generating a new query before going out. My point is it is often when I am already out that I have the opportunity to be in relatively further from home location and grab a quick couple of caches. Tech + Nature = Geocaching. Nature seems to be working just fine, but I find it hard to believe folks who would go into the woods with a GPS looking for treasure wouldn't understand the clear benefits of paperless and easy to use data.

I've been working on those PQ's you suggested and they are okay as far as they go, but did you know that data output from Watcher is not compatible with EasyGPS without more tweaking? I could be out caching right now, but instead I'm home trying to convert data from one format to another. 1000 waypoints still sound like a bad idea?

This is off-topic related to the 500-cache limit, but GSAK is the tool which will save you a lot of time, take you off this site and caching more. Watcher is good, but it doesn't come close to GSAK for actually maintaining a database. GSAK does require a registration fee to use, but the cost is more than made up for by the time you will save.

I have a dedicated gmail mailbox. I get all my PQs mailed there. Then I have GSAK pull the mail down and import them automatically. It has filters and will automatically export a GPX of just my hitlist, also launching GPXToMaplet and MightySync to have my PDA/GPS completely updated in one click. It has a great deal of functionality to communicate with traditional GPSrs, but I have never had one - I currently use a BlueTooth GPS and PocketPC - and I've never used EasyGPS, so I can't speak to that, but I believe most people use it as a complete replacement for EasyGPS as well as for Watcher.

It also let's you log your caches ofline and easily paste them online later. Although the site has been reliable for the past month, in the year before that, GSAK has been invaluable in letting me write up the caches in an easy to oragnize way until there was a good time to upload them.

It is also very easy to use in new areas. I prep my trip by getting PQs starting a few weeks before (this let's me see any new local trends as GSAK keeps all the logs). Before I leave on the trip I be sure to get an updated PQ. It also has features not available on the site like caches along a route.

I don't think GSAK is for everyone, but it is the best tool right now for handling the limiations of this site (I use it for terracaches and dashpoints from other sites, too). My PDA software doesn't let me upload waypoints, but it will also let you manage waypoints from your GPSr.

but I find it hard to believe folks who would go into the woods with a GPS looking for treasure wouldn't understand the clear benefits of paperless and easy to use data.

One (at least) of the "really big find # cachers" (2000+ finds) still caches from cache page PRINT-OUTS. It really ISN'T necessary to get a ton of caches in a PQ (or to get PQ's at all) to get a ton of cache finds.....

but I find it hard to believe folks who would go into the woods with a GPS looking for treasure wouldn't understand the clear benefits of paperless and easy to use data.

One (at least) of the "really big find # cachers" (2000+ finds) still caches from cache page PRINT-OUTS. It really ISN'T necessary to get a ton of caches in a PQ (or to get PQ's at all) to get a ton of cache finds.....

I can think of one cacher approaching 4000 finds that has never been a premium member so doesn't use PQs.

I don't think that is true. I have a PQ where I set the distance limit to 500 miles and I request 250 caches. The largest distance I get is 46 miles.

edit: I see you've come to the same conclusion in the meantime.

Edited by as77

Jeep-O-Caching

Several here are trying to help you get what you need within the current 500 limit and using available tools. Continuing to insist you need 1000 and need all terrian/difficulties and all types in a strictly defined area isn't really helping much.

Jeremy (who ultimely decides these things) has stated that you can get 1000 with availble tools. I take that to mean there is no hope of getting 1000 as a limit despite your pleadings.

I too am not familar with that particular phone but I will do some reseach and see what programs might work for you on it. I highly recommend getting GSAK and learning to use it. It works wonders with the PQs! There must be some alternate reader we can find for you.

I suggest dropping any terrian 5's as they require special equipment and planning ahead. Drop Puzzle caches as most require the time to sit down and figure something out before you are in the field. Drop difficulty ratings of 4 and 5 as they generally require multiple hours to locate or multiple trips. If you are caching on a whim, my guess is you won't have time for these. Drop anything that has multiple DNF's as the last few logs (GSAK) so you don't waste your time.

Adjust your starting coords if you don't tend to travel in some particular direction from home. (shift north 10 miles if you mostly drive north and rarely south).

Just some ideas.......

Jeep-O-Caching

Several here are trying to help you get what you need within the current 500 limit and using available tools. Continuing to insist you need 1000 and need all terrian/difficulties and all types in a strictly defined area isn't really helping much.

Jeremy (who ultimely decides these things) has stated that you can get 1000 with availble tools. I take that to mean there is no hope of getting 1000 as a limit despite your pleadings.

I too am not familar with that particular phone but I will do some reseach and see what programs might work for you on it. I highly recommend getting GSAK and learning to use it. It works wonders with the PQs!  There must be some alternate reader we can find for you.

I suggest dropping any terrian 5's as they require special equipment and planning ahead. Drop Puzzle caches as most require the time to sit down and figure something out before you are in the field. Drop difficulty ratings of 4 and 5 as they generally require multiple hours to locate or multiple trips. If you are caching on a whim, my guess is you won't have time for these. Drop anything that has multiple DNF's as the last few logs (GSAK) so you don't waste your time.

Adjust your starting coords if you don't tend to travel in some particular direction from home. (shift north 10 miles if you mostly drive north and rarely south).

Just some ideas.......

Not reading what I've carefully and time-consumingly written isn't helping. Are there *any* 5 difficulty or 5 terrains around here? I doubt there's any or many, and I don't think I'll waste the time looking. I already don't query on puzzle caches, as stated above. I would have thought that Jeremy's role would be to respond to intelligent, thoughtful suggestions, with similar dialog. So far we have a one-liner saying you should be able to do that with the tools available to you already. Well, I've now spent all morning working with PQ Toolbox, Watcher, GPSBabel, and EasyGPS and I might now be able to actually go out with waypoints that aren't two weeks old. One individual thoughtfully and time-consumingly typed a set of queries and suggestions that I have been attempting use to work-around this issue. I had to write a batch file this morning to get GPSBabel working in an acceptable fashion, since it won't take options through the GUI! Files output from Watcher are not directly readable with EasyGPS without exercising your 'find-and-replace' skills. Does this seem like what you want folks to have to do to get some enjoyment out of an activity I'd hope you'd want to promote to as many as possible with as wide a level of skill sets as possible? What would happen if someone in say the National Park Service got ahold of the wrong end of the stick about geocaching and decided it was merely a bunch of geeks who deface Federal property? Go offline once in a while and think about the bigger picture. As to the folks who responded by saying that some of the most successful cachers print their information out on paper before they go out into the field. That's fine, if that is how you want to do it. I don't wish to have to take a filing cabinet into the woods with me, but that's just me I guess. I can throw a few electronic trinkets on my belt and I'm free to cache at will.

In the meantime, I have successfully used the queries posted for my by the one helpful individual in your 'never exposed to outside air' community to collect, coallate, sort, and upload an html version of the data to my phone so that I can now go out and cache. Thanks to that individual, and give me my 1000 waypoints so I never have to go through this again!

Edited by Jeep-O-Caching

Okay, so I was a bit frustrated when I wrote that last post. I'd gotten a little tired of being told over and over that I could already do that with workarounds/multiple queries when that wasn't the point of the topic.

Anyway, you'll be glad to know that I worked up a solution to this using 4 PQ's and GSAK. Of course I'm now running 4x the number of PQ's and pulling twice the number of waypoints that I would be if I were allowed simply to select up to 999 instead of 500. That's okay, though, the html output from GSAK is much better than ebooks!

Thanks again to those that actually posted/sent constructive solutions/suggestions!