1000 Waypoints

Jeep-O-Caching

Hi, I'd like to see the limit on PQ's increased to 1000, or even more. My GPS will hold 1000 waypoints and others will hold more I'm sure. I currently have to run two PQ's and upload them sequentially to get the waypoints I am after. Due to the fact that I am running two queries to get more data on different types of caches (as suggested in the help) I get data out to two very different radii. I'd like these to coincide better and the only way I can do that would be to run a single query based on a point and have it run out at 1000 waypoints. I know that I could do the same thing with the number 500, but I live in a cache-dense area and even with 500 waypoints I only get data out to about 60 km if I am doing traditional caches only.

It would also be nice, BTW, to be able do a logical and type search on location, say for example "caches nearest to a specific point *and* located in NY state" for example. This would solve part of the problem with the number of waypoints problem above as well That would save me a lot of data space wasted on caches that are on the other side of the Canadian border. Now, I have been to Canada to cache, but can always load a more appropriate waypoint set if I intend to go over the border.

Try splitting up your PQ's by date placed. For example, use 1 PQ for 1/1/00 - 12/31/03 and one for 1/1/04 - 12/31/05. You'll have to use the PREVIEW function and tweek the date ranges until you are getting just under 500 caches per PQ.

Did you know that you can specify multiple limits in your PQ setup? For example, caches within 200 miles of X and Y coordinates, AND which are in the State of New York.

For radiating queries in a dense area, try putting all micros in one query and everything else in a second query, or dividing by placement date (which is more predictable/constant).

The 500 limit and the 20 limit as opposed to 35 sent in a week has been discussed before and my reading of the replies / lack of reply to threads like this is that it will not happen soon ever

The AND function would be usefull as i have two queries set up one for caches i own (to keep a complete log history offline) and caches i have found (to check for issues and what happens to our swaps) this currently returns 9 and 187 caches (minus archived) respectively to combine both of these would be a nice value added feature .

Right now, how many geocachers have GPSrs that can take 1000 waypoints? How many cachers really have a need for that many everyday? Considering the record number of caches found in a day was 242 (that's still the record, right?) even the 500 limit is more than enough.

You already have the option to download 2500 caches in a day, why not just filter them based on what you really expect to do in a day rather than "just get more because they fit in my GPS"?

Right now, how many geocachers have GPSrs that can take 1000 waypoints? How many cachers really have a need for that many everyday? Considering the record number of caches found in a day was 242 (that's still the record, right?) even the 500 limit is more than enough.

You already have the option to download 2500 caches in a day, why not just filter them based on what you really expect to do in a day rather than "just get more because they fit in my GPS"?

I could certainly use more, and it has nothing to do with how many I can get in a day. I have my own offline database which I use for various reasons. (i.e. don't always have an internet connection, Geocaching.com isn't always up and/or running at an acceptable speed, I can do more complicated and in depth searches offline than through Geocaching.com, etc...).

Restricting the number of waypoints for non-paying members is understandeable. But as a paying member, I shouldn't need 4-5 days to update my information.

I understand if you do things differently, but please understand that not everyone Geocaches in the same way - and there's nothing wrong with that. :laughing:

I could certainly use more, and it has nothing to do with how many I can get in a day. I have my own offline database which I use for various reasons. (i.e. don't always have an internet connection, Geocaching.com isn't always up and/or running at an acceptable speed, I can do more complicated and in depth searches offline than through Geocaching.com, etc...).

Restricting the number of waypoints for non-paying members is understandeable. But as a paying member, I shouldn't need 4-5 days to update my information.

I understand if you do things differently, but please understand that not everyone Geocaches in the same way - and there's nothing wrong with that. :laughing:

That's just it though, pocket queries aren't designed for you to download the entire database. The pocket query limits are there to allow you to go caching with the data, not sit at home and manipulate it on your PC.

I understand the need for a limit, bandwidth and all, but 1000 or more would help our cache outings. Unlike the power cachers, we don't plan our treks. We decide on a direction and start driving. This is fun for us, as we will see things and places as part of a discovery or an adventure.

Currently we will use several pocket queries to load the 1000 into the 60cs. and the rest of Indiana and parts of Kentucky are piled up in pathaways on the palm, just in case we venture outside our pocket query boundaries.

That's just it though, pocket queries aren't designed for you to download the entire database. The pocket query limits are there to allow you to go caching with the data, not sit at home and manipulate it on your PC.

Screwdrivers aren't *designed* to be hit with a hammer either - but mechanics and engineers have found it very useful to do so in certain circumstances for over a hundred years.

I'm not a sheep to only do what someone tell me to. I experiment, I learn, and I find the best way to do things given my goal, tools, and circumstances at hand.

*You* may directly go caching with the data. *I* don't. And there's nothing wrong with that.

I don't just sit at home and manipulate it on my PC. I bring my database with me on my laptop. And at any point, no matter where I travel, I can do a custom search on my laptop and load a new and unique set of waypoints on to my GPS. On the fly. Perhaps even in my car.

I can also pre-plan at home, or in a hotel room. I can use GSAK to do Full Text searches - something that Geocaching.com does NOT support. Or all sorts of other custom searches that you can't do on geocaching.com. And when I decide that - just for the heck of it - I'm going to drive 200 miles in a particular direction, I know that I've got the data on my own PC to support that choice, insofar as geocaching goes.

You try all that with your method. You won't get very far.

So what's so inferior about my own methodology?

Screwdrivers aren't *designed* to be hit with a hammer either ...........

..........So what's so inferior about my own methodology?

Its not your data - that is the main issue. Do you think it wise of any business venture to give away all of its data easily???

If you have come up with new and interesting searches - share - let us know and maybe they can be incorporated into the site for all to use.

Just isn't real feasible to share the entire database daily to you so that you can weed down to the 20 or so you want to go to on a whim. Sure I'd like to have the ability to do that too but point is - its not my data it belongs to Groundspeak. I think it is might generous already for them to share 2500 PER DAY everyday!! (seriously - how many do you really go to....) Assuming you could keep up with the record pace that is 10 days before you would need to PQ some more.

Just don't see the need for 1000.

Screwdrivers aren't *designed* to be hit with a hammer either - but mechanics and engineers have found it very useful to do so in certain circumstances for over a hundred years.

I'm not a sheep to only do what someone tell me to. I experiment, I learn, and I find the best way to do things given my goal, tools, and circumstances at hand.

*You* may directly go caching with the data. *I* don't. And there's nothing wrong with that.

I don't just sit at home and manipulate it on my PC. I bring my database with me on my laptop. And at any point, no matter where I travel, I can do a custom search on my laptop and load a new and unique set of waypoints on to my GPS. On the fly. Perhaps even in my car.

I can also pre-plan at home, or in a hotel room. I can use GSAK to do Full Text searches - something that Geocaching.com does NOT support. Or all sorts of other custom searches that you can't do on geocaching.com. And when I decide that - just for the heck of it - I'm going to drive 200 miles in a particular direction, I know that I've got the data on my own PC to support that choice, insofar as geocaching goes.

You try all that with your method. You won't get very far.

So what's so inferior about my own methodology?

In 5 months you've found 10 caches. Tell me why you need to download more than 2500 caches per day? :laughing:

Its not your data - that is the main issue. Do you think it wise of any business venture to give away all of its data easily???

If you have come up with new and interesting searches - share - let us know and maybe they can be incorporated into the site for all to use.

Just isn't real feasible to share the entire database daily to you so that you can weed down to the 20 or so you want to go to on a whim. Sure I'd like to have the ability to do that too but point is - its not my data it belongs to Groundspeak. I think it is might generous already for them to share 2500 PER DAY everyday!! (seriously - how many do you really go to....) Assuming you could keep up with the record pace that is 10 days before you would need to PQ some more.

Just don't see the need for 1000.

It would be generous if they were giving it away for free. I'm *paying* for it. Therefore, as a paying customer, I think I have the right to use the data for personal purposes however I feel like. Just as you do.

If you don't have the need for more than 500 per day - hey, that's okay. But don't use that as an excuse to tell me what *I* do or don't need. That's all. :laughing:

In 5 months you've found 10 caches. Tell me why you need to download more than 2500 caches per day? :laughing:

Just because I've found 10, doesn't mean that I've only looked for 10. Just because I've logged 10, doesn't mean that I've only found 10. Just because I've found 10 doesn't mean that I don't play a part on helping others select what caches *they* might be interested in.

And just because I've found 10 doesn't mean that those were 10 *random* choices.

(Moral: Don't judge someone by an online stat)

I like a large selection from which I can choose based on whatever criteria may apply at the time. I *don't* always know where I'm going to be. I can, and have, traveled 300 miles away on whim, and I need offline access.

Therefore, I have every right to claim what *my* needs are. If yours are different - that's fine. But *you* don't create the standard for everyone else, just as *I* don't do the same.

Can you not respect different needs and a different way of doing things?

Try splitting up your PQ's by date placed.  For example, use 1 PQ for 1/1/00 - 12/31/03 and one for 1/1/04 - 12/31/05.  You'll have to use the PREVIEW function and tweek the date ranges until you are getting just under 500 caches per PQ.

This is definetly the way to go. It also avoids cache creep where the number of caches in the area defined by the query grows over time and exceeds the 500 cache limit.

The site will warn you if your PQ parameters return zero caches but not when they grow to exceed 500 caches. I've been caught by this a couple of times. :laughing:

Just because I've found 10, doesn't mean that I've only looked for 10. Just because I've logged 10, doesn't mean that I've only found 10. Just because I've found 10 doesn't mean that I don't play a part on helping others select what caches *they* might be interested in.

And just because I've found 10 doesn't mean that those were 10 *random* choices.

(Moral: Don't judge someone by an online stat)

I like a large selection from which I can choose based on whatever criteria may apply at the time. I *don't* always know where I'm going to be. I can, and have, traveled 300 miles away on whim, and I need offline access.

Therefore, I have every right to claim what *my* needs are. If yours are different - that's fine. But *you* don't create the standard for everyone else, just as *I* don't do the same.

Can you not respect different needs and a different way of doing things?

Let's see, if you weren't paying for a membership, you'd be able to download zero caches in that pocket query. Because you are paying for it, you get 500 in each of 5 queries a day. THat's pretty generous of Groundspeak when you consider how many caches that is:

In one week, you could download the nearest 17,500 caches!

Surely you don't need all of those to be updated daily? Sure, sometimes you'll come across an archived cache because your query is a few days old, but that can happen even if you downloaded your pocket query today. The owner might not have updated the cache page until after your query.

I've got nothing against you going out "on a whim" and wanting to have your GPS loaded with caches. At 17,500 caches a week, you can already do that.

its not my data it belongs to Groundspeak.

i think you will find the cache owners own the caches and give the data on there position to Groundspeak for hosting / sharing with other cachers. So the cache owners own the source data.

Dead in the black! Thank you. :laughing:

So then all those cache owners gave YOU the data to play with?? No they listed it on Groundspeak - it is GC.com data - read the user license.......

Edited by StarBrand

You already can receive up to 2500 cache listings a day through Pocket Queries. Through creative PQs you can get over 1,000 caches in your area easily, today. So the answer is you can do this now, and more.

Edited by Jeremy

A PQ (or more) with 500 caches is, of course, sufficient for everyone, the problem is WHICH 500 caches!

People continually asking for more caches in the PQs are taking focus away from achieving their true goal, which is building better cache lists to work from.

The reason people are pulling so many caches down is to put them in GSAK and use its filter tools to map routes and read caches and mark them with the user flag etc.

If gc.com had more flexible tools to build the PQs like:

A bigger (or no) radius (all my found in the whole world would be nice) limitation for certain types of queries

The ability to UNION two small PQs into a single PQ so as not to waste a valuable PQ for a small number of caches

Caches along a route (with bubbles at major cities you'll be stopping at)

PQs using attributes

PQs using your user lists

If those kinds of tools were available online, then people wouldn't need to sift through multiple 500-caches PQs to build their hitlists. The PQs would be smaller since they would be able to be more focussed. You'd probably still use GSAK, but at least the PQs would be pre-tuned to a better degree. The work has to be done somewhere - either at gc.com or in GSAK.

Without having more power over the PQ options at gc.com, people will continue to resort to asking here in the forums for bigger cache counts in PQs, despite that probably not being the optimum way to their goal.

Despite how individuals use the info in their caching adventure, most gpsr's will hold 1000 waypoints and yes muliple PQ's will get the info needed to fill them up.

On a practicle side, it takes three PQs to do the filling. There are overlaps and the system is busy finding the info on the duplicates. The program I use (MacGPSPro) will delete the dupicates. The ability to run a single PQ on a 1000 would seem to save money. But then I don't know exactly how this bandwidth thing works.

Either way the current system is workable, just trying to make suggestions.

Look, when I started this discussion thread I only wanted to try and cut the number of queries I have to do to get the max amount of data my GPSr will hold for the week. This is so I can keep it with me, along with my phone which holds the descriptive portions of the caches, and be able to stop go randomly in a loop as my geocaching day progresses, at least within the radius of the data my GPSr will hold. It allows me to stop and do a quick cache after work, or perhaps when I am out on an errand in some area a ways from home. I live in a very cache-dense area, so 500 waypoints with only traditional only gets me out to 60 km! Multiple queries with multiple dates is just a pain. Who wants to sit home and sift through data? The point of this activity would seem to be to be out there in the field experience new places and new challenges. I'm more of a doer than a planner. I don't sit at home and say to myself "I'm going to be caching in this town or that town today, so I need to take the time to design a PQ for this or that"; I simply go about my life and cache-as-cache-can between things. The point of the database ought to be to facilitate as many different types of cachers as are out there. I'd gladly accept a limit of fewer PQs per week for example, to simply be able to get the max data out to whatever radius I can stuff in my poor, overworked GPSr this week (depending on how many I found in the previous week). I tried limiting by multiple conditions such as 'in a radius from such-and-such coordinates' AND 'within a specific state' but that does not work. I limit the types of caches I am PQing on to the types I am looking for also. I don't really care whose data it is either, I'm simply trying to use it, not possess the entire thing at home. I don't feel it is helpful to have to do multiple queries and resort it on my machine. I don't know what GSAK is and it sounds a bit overboard to me, since I really only want to go out and be out there doing this activity. I appreciate that the folks at Groundspeak might feel possesive about the data, whoevers it is. So how about the idea of limiting the total number of waypoints in a week to a certain number, say 10,000, and then increasing the per PQ amount to 1000, 2500, or even unlimited (effectively limited to 10,000). This would allow for single, focused queries that don't need to be re-edited to fill one's GPSr and would probably cut the data flow out of the servers by a large amount at the same time!

Let's see, if you weren't paying for a membership, you'd be able to download zero caches in that pocket query. Because you are paying for it, you get 500 in each of 5 queries a day. THat's pretty generous of Groundspeak when you consider how many caches that is:

That's right, I *am* paying for it. And that gives me the right to state my opinion on the value of what I'm getting for my money. Just as it gives you that right as well.

Surely you don't need all of those to be updated daily? Sure, sometimes you'll ome across an archived cache because your query is a few days old, but that can happen even if you downloaded your pocket query today. The owner might not have updated the cache page until after your query.

I've got nothing against you going out "on a whim" and wanting to have your GPS loaded with caches. At 17,500 caches a week, you can already do that.

*Maybe* if I could get 17,500 caches in one shot, it would be better. But right now, in order to get a simple 100 mile radius, I need TEN queries! Not only that, but I had to take the time and effort to figure out how to divide up that simple 100 mile radius into ten queries so that I wouldn't get any overlap.

I *should* be able to do a simple query like that in ONE shot. *Not* ten. And since there are always new caches coming up, I have to periodically go back and tweak all ten queries so that I'm getting the full coverage of that particular set with no overlap.

I don't call jumping through hoops like that in order to deal with this system's deficiencies which I'm paying for, generous.

i think you will find the cache owners own the caches and give the data on there position to Groundspeak for hosting / sharing with other cachers. So the cache owners own the source data.

Dead in the black! Thank you. :laughing:

So then all those cache owners gave YOU the data to play with?? No they listed it on Groundspeak - it is GC.com data - read the user license.......

All those cache owners gave the data to ALL of us. Not specifically to Groundspeak. They SHARED it. Geocaching.com just lists them. It's the cache owners who find the spot, it's the cache owners who front the money and supplies. It's the cache owners who maintain their property. And it's the cache owners who decide to share their time and efforts with other *people* with like interests.

So, yeah, as far as I'm concerned, GC.com doesn't own the data - the cachers do.

I'm sure there's plenty of valid reasons to get more info in a shot. I have almost 500 finds (probably hit today) and the 500 closest caches to me that I haven't yet found covers about a 25 mi radius around my house.

I went caching 2 weeks ago in a "nearby" state park and had to generate a separate PQ for it because it was outside the 25 mi. Sure, it didn't kill me but it was something I needed to do (determine why the caches weren't in GSAK??, create a new PQ based on one of the waypoints, verify it, download it, merge it into GSAK, etc). Then I needed to remember to turn off the PQ from being generated so I didn't waste server processing.

To me, I think it would be nice to have a 2 or 3 state PQ which I can get all the caches in 2 states and then regular PQs for whatever else I needed (say for traveling to CA, NC or FL from NJ when I do that). That way I'd have my most immediate area always handy but could still generate on the fly ones when needed.

I think the "state" solution would also SIGNIFICANTLY reduce the load on the PQ server since those could be generated on a nightly basis (and yes, I'm focusing in on those in the US at the moment) and just be downloaded/sent vs the dozens or hundreds that are now run adhoc against the server that could be covering the same general area over and over again. Yes, the "NOT FOUND" info would have to be handled on the computer vs in the generated file, but that's not a big deal for many of us.

Yes, I understand the downsides of 50 people covering the US, etc but if they wanted to do it, they could do it anyway, just in a more manual fashion.

Edited by Team DEMP

And yet, after 100yrs, a screwdriver is still just made to turn screws. If you use it as a prybar or chisel, or anything other then it's designed purpose, you void the warranty. If you complained to the manufacturer that their screwdriver doesn't work well as a chisel or prybar, you would get probably get ignored, and your letter passed around the company for ridicule.

I'm not a sheep to only do what someone tell me to.  I experiment, I learn, and I find the best way to do things given my goal, tools, and circumstances at hand.

And that's fine, if that's what you do; use the goal, tools, and circumstances at hand. It's not fine when you complain that the screwdriver you bought doesn't work well as a chisel when it's a perfect tool for turning screws.

The PQ's are an almost perfect balance between the needs of the cacher and the needs of the website for the intended purpose. If someone wants to use them for something else, great, but you have no right to complain if they don't do it the way you like.

That's right, I *am* paying for it. And that gives me the right to state my opinion on the value of what I'm getting for my money. Just as it gives you that right as well.

Surely you don't need all of those to be updated daily? Sure, sometimes you'll ome across an archived cache because your query is a few days old, but that can happen even if you downloaded your pocket query today. The owner might not have updated the cache page until after your query.

*Maybe* if I could get 17,500 caches in one shot, it would be better. But right now, in order to get a simple 100 mile radius, I need TEN queries! Not only that, but I had to take the time and effort to figure out how to divide up that simple 100 mile radius into ten queries so that I wouldn't get any overlap.

I *should* be able to do a simple query like that in ONE shot. *Not* ten. And since there are always new caches coming up, I have to periodically go back and tweak all ten queries so that I'm getting the full coverage of that particular set with no overlap.

I don't call jumping through hoops like that in order to deal with this system's deficiencies which I'm paying for, generous.

You can get a full 500 mile radius quite easily. You only have to set it up once, not constantly tweak it.

Query 1: Caches placed Jan 01, 2000 through Dec 31, 2000 within 500 miles of your zip code

Query 2: Caches placed Jan 01, 2001 through Dec 31, 2001 within 500 miles of your zip code

Query 3: Caches placed Jan 01, 2002 through Dec 31, 2002 within 500 miles of your zip code

Adjust the dates as needed to get 500 caches in your query. Many people set it at 490 just in case a cache is reactivated. Once you have it set, you'll get your entire area (up to 500 miles, or you can specify by state or states). The only time you'll need to "tweak" it is when anough caches are placed to max out your latest query, then you just make a new one starting at that date.

Simply upload the files to your GPS (or use your database program to filter to your heart's content.

What I'm saying is that you can already do everything you are whining about. This is the way it works for the vast majority of cachers on this site. I don't see them rushing to change it just to please you.

*Maybe* if I could get 17,500 caches in one shot, it would be better.  But right now, in order to get a simple 100 mile radius, I need TEN queries!  Not only that, but I had to take the time and effort to figure out how to divide up that simple 100 mile radius into ten queries so that I wouldn't get any overlap.

I *should* be able to do a simple query like that in ONE shot.  *Not* ten.  And since there are always new caches coming up, I have to periodically go back and tweak all ten queries so that I'm getting the full coverage of that particular set with no overlap.

Please read back to my post about dividing your PQ's up into DATE PLACED ranges. Once you set them up, you do not need to "tweak" them anymore.

edit: Oops...I see now that Saxman already reminded you of this :laughing:

Edited by Stunod

sarcasm:

I have a laptop with external drives that give ME about 850GB of storage and I run SQL server on it. Wouldn't it be great if I could download the entire database (including logs and pictures) each morning and then no matter where I happen to drive during the day I could develop and run my own Pocket Quieries to locate caches I would be interested in finding.

Well then I could write logs on my local machine and batch send them up to Groundspeak whenever it was convenient to me. I think the $30 I pay per year entitles me to get the data MY way and available on MY machine. I wouldn't have to use Internet except for that minute or two a day that it takes to download the database (after all it needs to be up-to-date constantly - wouldn't want to accidently look for an archived one).

And I think the tools made available to me on GC.com are just totally inadaquate for searching for caches so I will develop my own and not share with anybody.

After all NOBODY knows how to do caching database like me.

end sarcasm:

StarBrand. That would be nice. However the request was for 1000 to match the ability of the GPS. There are roughly 1500 in my normal caching range now, and I'm not counting Utah which is now closer than before and starting to attract my attention for recreation.

It's not a bad request. If the issue is server load limit them to 2500 a day or 5 PQ's whichever comes first. Jeremy has spoken though so debating it is a moot point other than to let him know it's a desired feature.

StarBrand. That would be nice. However the request was for 1000 to match the ability of the GPS. There are roughly 1500 in my normal caching range now, and I'm not counting Utah which is now closer than before and starting to attract my attention for recreation.

It's not a bad request. If the issue is server load limit them to 2500 a day or 5 PQ's whichever comes first. Jeremy has spoken though so debating it is a moot point other than to let him know it's a desired feature.

Utah moved? :laughing:

Some GPSrs can hold 1000 waypoints. Certainly not all. Are you sure it's most? Did you poll all geocachers to get this information? I didn't think so.

To put this post in context. I have downloaded a total of 3 PQ's. The 500 nearest to my Home Location. No frills, no filtering. So far it has been more that I need, not more than I want.

Every time this subject comes up, the quick answer is you can already do that. Well I don't know HOW to do it. I don't know how to set up multiple PDA Databases. I don't know how to mix downloads together. I am still stumped by this PQ Preview Feature so often advocated. And I am not a dummy. I often put off learning something till I need it. Character flaw? When I NEED those features, I WILL figure them out. Till then, oh well. Just having 500 Cache Pages on a PDA is great! And this is the only reason I got one, even though I have since found other uses for it.

Now the real reason I started this post. Consumers who want more value often times must be willing to pay EXTRA for it. How many of the people who want an easier solution, want it bad enough to pay more for it. I don't see Jeremy proposing such a solution because it would anger the "Free" Spirits among us.

But if you could upgrade to a GOLD Premium or GOLD Charter membership with an enhanced PQ package for say 5$ a month or $50 dollars a year, would YOU do it. Some extra Data and Bandwidth are resources that have value. I don't recall anyone ever trying to put a Dollar figure on that value.

To put this post in context. I have downloaded a total of 3 PQ's. The 500 nearest to my Home Location. No frills, no filtering. So far it has been more that I need, not more than I want.

Every time this subject comes up, the quick answer is you can already do that. Well I don't know HOW to do it. I don't know how to set up multiple PDA Databases. I don't know how to mix downloads together. I am still stumped by this PQ Preview Feature so often advocated. And I am not a dummy. I often put off learning something till I need it. Character flaw? When I NEED those features, I WILL figure them out. Till then, oh well. Just having 500 Cache Pages on a PDA is great! And this is the only reason I got one, even though I have since found other uses for it.

There are a few different ways to do it.

Take my "finds" pocket query for example. Now that I'm past the 500 mark, I have to split it up into two queries. I created one query for my home state of Colorado (only 109 finds since I just moved here 6 months ago) and another query selecting all states except Colorado (353 finds). This allows me to find lots of caches in my home state before filling up the PQ. Also, I won't have to make a new query for out of state caches anytime soon.

To merge these together, I use GSAK then export it to Microsoft Streets and Trips. I get a map like this:

SaxFinds.jpg

(this one isn't current though since I'm at work right now and can't update it from here)

Anyway, the point is the daily PQ limit of 2500 caches is sufficient for 99% of geocachers, even to put caches in a database like I do. Yes, it can take me 2 days worth of PQ's to plan a long distance trip, and sometimes the caches are updated after I run my query. I've only had trouble one time looking for a cache that had been moved since I ran a pocket query, and that was because I was on vacation and it was several days old.

My 2c: I have been wanting more than 500 caches in a PQ for some time. As it stands, I have to run two 500 cache queries, and then run three filters in GSAK to get the results pared down to 500 caches in the area I plan on caching (it's shaped like an upside-down L). Nothing like having to carry two GPSrs just to make certain that I don't miss a cache that's only 30 miles from my house. :drama:

Having 1000 cache queries (and preferably more filtering options within the query) would certainly be a boon.

most gpsr's will hold 1000 waypoints
Really? I need to take another look at the three that I have, then... :laughing:

All of this sarcasm and near flaming is not helping. I'm trying to follow what was suggested on the website to suggest a change to the PQ process. Do we need a change in the procedure for filing a suggestion as well? I don't enjoy reading strangers sniping at each other. I thought I had a reasonable suggestion, but all I get is yet another Internet flame war. I can see that there are those in the community who have taken the time to read what I have written and respond intellegently for or against. I do appreciate that. What I haven't yet received is a coherent response from someone officially representing Groundspeak as to why or whether this is reasonable or not, and why or whether it is not going to happen. Until I do this will probably be the last time you see this new and relatively enthusiastic geocacher in any more forums.

To sum up: it is patently ridiculous in my opinion to spend time balancing, crunching, and coallating multiple queries and to have to have special software such as GSAK (whatever that is) to do something this simple. I don't wish to take my laptop into the feild with me. I don't want to pay hundreds of dollars for updated mapping software and waypoint editing software of some kind to pursue this great avocation. I simply want to go geocaching. I'd like the folks at Groundspeak to support me and others in doing so by addressing this feature suggestion that I have made. That's all.

It is too bad that others have to spoil this process by repeating, arguing, and whining like children.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that maxing out your waypoint limit before you even step foot outside the door is kind of a bad idea. Hope you weren't planning on marking your car's location, or doing any multi-caches.

Just go through and delete some useless waypoints to make it fit.

I am, and never have been the "pack rat" type of person, except with my waypoints. I don't give a hoot about the cache data, I can get that back whenever I wish, it's all those hand entered points I could NEVER get back that I care about. How could I get the coordinates for a bear den in Alaska back if I deleted it?

Consider yourself lucky that we have the resources to have an offline database. When i started EVERY waypoint had to be entered by hand. Eventually it gave you the option to download a page at a time, but that's not really helpful.

I just updated my caches for the first time in 6 months. I forgot how nice GSAK is. We're going on a trip this weekend, in five min. I had all the waypoints loaded, converted, and ready. I had fifty caches printed out on a few sheets.

As for old data, i get around that with my cell phone. ANYWHERE i can punch in my coordinates and get the nearest caches. It's not fancy, but it works.

Joe Smith

500 limit per PQ - no problem

5 PQs per day - no problem

Both these restrictions seek to conserve bandwidth, which is both sensible and acceptable

But why can I only store 20 PQs. The overhead in storing more is minimal, and would save having to re-input the parameters on a regular basis.

Please can we store 50. I don't want to be able to run them all at once!

BB

What I haven't yet received is a coherent response from someone officially representing Groundspeak as to why or whether this is reasonable or not, and why or whether it is not going to happen.

Who is this "Jeremy" guy anyway? ;)

You already can receive up to 2500 cache listings a day through Pocket Queries. Through creative PQs you can get over 1,000 caches in your area easily, today. So the answer is you can do this now, and more.
What I haven't yet received is a coherent response from someone officially representing Groundspeak as to why or whether this is reasonable or not, and why or whether it is not going to happen.

But, if you had taken the time to use the search function, instead of just starting yet another topic on the subject, you WOULD have seen where it's been said "it ain't gonna happen" by someone "officially representing Groundspeak".

I simply want to go geocaching.

So load up 500 or 1000 of your nearest caches and go caching. It's really NOT that difficult a thing to do.

StarBrand.  That would be nice.  However the request was for 1000 to match the ability of the GPS.  There are roughly 1500 in my normal caching range now, and I'm not counting Utah which is now closer than before and starting to attract my attention for recreation.

It's not a bad request.  If the issue is server load limit them to 2500 a day or 5 PQ's whichever comes first.  Jeremy has spoken though so debating it is a moot point other than to let him know it's a desired feature.

Utah moved? ;)

Some GPSrs can hold 1000 waypoints. Certainly not all. Are you sure it's most? Did you poll all geocachers to get this information? I didn't think so.

I moved. Utah stayed put. As for the 1000 waypoints in a GPS it's not enough I hope when the VI comes out it will hold 10,000.

That a GPS holds less than 1000 really doesn't matter because in a 1000 limit world you can hold back the results to 500, or 499 and save room for marking your car as a waypoint. That's more flexability than your system no matter how you slice it. Yes you can add a bunch of smaller queries and get the same result for more work. But you can't get the same result for less work your way. The idea and suggestion remains a good one. The best part about it is that YOU would not have to change a thing in how you do things. That's as win win as you can get in this RASH.

Edited by Renegade Knight
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that maxing out your waypoint limit before you even step foot outside the door is kind of a bad idea. Hope you weren't planning on marking your car's location, or doing any multi-caches.

Just go through and delete some useless waypoints to make it fit.

Seems like it would be better to not fill it up with "useless" waypoints in the first place.

I see now what someone meant by saying that Jeremy had already answered me. How am I supposed to know that this was the official response?

Okay, so why can't we grab up to 5 PQ's or up to 2500 waypoints, whichever comes first? If server load is the issue, then this change wouldn't change a thing. If someone 'stealing' Groundspeak's data is the issue, then this wouldn't change a thing there either. I can only assume that those who are not in favor of this live in areas with less cache density or have already mined out there local area over time. Imagine being in my shoes with 1000's of caches, untouched by me, within the area I commute through and do daily errands in?

I can also see now what some folks meant about making several queries with multiple date ranges being *possible* to set up, but can you do a date range AND other characteristics like radius from a location at the same time? Even so, should I have to construct and balance by size several queries, then wait for them all to come in, match them up, coallate and edit them, and then upload them? If I have to, I suppose I will, but I don't see why it should be necessary (see P2 above).

As to the folks saying that their GPSr's only support 500 waypoints, have they downloaded the software updates for their equipment? It might work a miracle for them.

As to the folks saying that their GPSr's only support 500 waypoints, have they downloaded the software updates for their equipment?  It might work a miracle for them.

Which GPS has an update to be able to hold 1000 waypoints. I am currently using the Meridian Platinum and it only will hold 500 waypoints is there an update to make it possible to hold 1000?

The other question is of the 500 waypoints the Platinum currently holds the GPS will only store 250 of those with cache names. Does this update ( if available for the platinum) increase the number of cache names the GPS will store?

Edited by Damenace