Cointracking.com?

ghostwriter13

Only thing I want to know is this... you charge us $ and only back up our data every 2 weeks? Any paid service should backup every 24-hours. I hope your new plans include this type of data management.

Some of us use our lists for inventory control. I didn't get a chance to see how bad the lists were before you took it all offline. So right now I can only imagine the worst.

I use mine for inventory control as well looks like I have to count about 16 pounds of coins once it gets back up. :ph34r:

Only thing I want to know is this... you charge us $ and only back up our data every 2 weeks?  Any paid service should backup every 24-hours.  I hope your new plans include this type of data management.

Some of us use our lists for inventory control.  I didn't get a chance to see how bad the lists were before you took it all offline. So right now I can only imagine the worst.

I use mine for inventory control as well looks like I have to count about 16 pounds of coins once it gets back up. :rolleyes:

AtlantaGal I feel the same way. 2 weeks of lost data to me is HUGE!

I can track most of my trades if not all of them because I save the emails for all of them until they're completed. However, I was really liking that "comments field" and was using it quite extensively.

After talking to someone who saw the corrupt data before they took it offline, it looks like all of that is gone as well as the serial number field. (I spent 2 hrs going through all my coins and logging in their numbers one day.) Plus any new coin edition or edition changes in the last 2 weeks is gone. I just cannot imagine begining to reconstruct all that!

Thankfully, I have a decent list going on thecachingplace.com, however, their coin database doesn't reflect all the new coins and I don't use it to make very many notes. So it's not quite where I need it yet. That's why I maintained both for the time being.

I am really mad about this.

I keep an Excel file with all my trade info as well as keeping all the email AND updating my list on cointracking.com.  Guess this time it pays to be a packrat.  It might take me a while to get my list back up to date, but I shouldn't lose any information on pending trades.

Well with it being below 20 degrees here and snow/ice raining outside I will be making an excel file now starting tonight. I will also have to go through my paypal reciepts/emails/and memory on who gets what and who I traded with on the new editions. :rolleyes: It P**es me off, but here is no use in getting upset or flaming about it because it can not be changed. Hopefully there will be a 24 hour backup now.

Edited by Ladycacher & Boys
Well I have learned my lesson about relying on one thing to keep track of my coins.

I almost signed up last night but waited 'til today.... but the site didn't work. I'll stick to Excel and keep another online list of my coins.

We've learned a lesson as well.

We respect the "You didn't back up!" people, we respect the "I'll keep my spreadsheet" people, we even respect the "Ha ha, you fools" people because we made an error in judgement that affected a lot of people in a bad way and depended ourselves on the passive backup strategy of our data center (we're the "All our eggs in one basket" people).

And we certainly respect the people who will give us the opportunity to pick up the pieces and get back up to speed, and work with us to help us make your experience with the site the way it should be.

Say what you will, but what Willie and I can do is to stay with it and keep dealing with our users in the one-on-one way we always have, because anyone who has -ever- sent in a comment, suggestion, or complaint knows they have always received a personal response from Willie or I on every occasion.

So I've said my piece here in the forums in a general response to the posts so far, but this is the GC forums and I will rankle feathers if I continue my own discussions here. Anyone is welcome to email me, or keep posting here, but I've been upfront about the situation, and I shouldn't use this thread to keep unfolding the story.

Thanks!

--Marc

December 7, 2005 @ 8:00 PM

N40° 46.565' W073° 58.756'

Didn't mean to make it sound like I was saying bad things about your site!

To clarify what I said, I think it's a great service, and I think it definitely is a worthwhile venture. I'm just disappointed it went down the day I was going to sign up.... well kind of glad at the same time.... if I had signed up and had to wait to use it, I'd be going nuts! :rolleyes: I'm keeping my existing list until it looks like yours is good to go.... I'll just keep a backup in Excel (just in case)

Hopefully you can get it back up to speed soon so everyone can get their lists back to normal.

Kudos for letting everyone know what was going on without waiting. You no doubt have a lot of customers and it's always good to be up-front about it. I've had our club site go down temporarily and know how frustrating it can be trying to get it back up to speed. I had the benefit of it not being a "paid" site, so I feel for you guys and know you're doing your best to make it right for everyone.

:lol:

And we certainly respect the people who will give us the opportunity to pick up the pieces and get back up to speed, and work with us to help us make your experience with the site the way it should be.

(picks up a piece and hands it to Marc)

I'm willing to wait. I like what your site has to offer.

Whew, what a mess. It's too late here to mess with it anymore. I at least got rid of the coins I don't have or seek anymore, and then cleaned up all the ones I received in the last 2 weeks. This is going to take hours :)

I have a feature request. Users need to be able to download their trading lists in a comma delimited file (excel) so we can back up our own data from now on.

after some playing around, I was able to make my own comma delimited file from the page it's self.

1. just highlight all your coins from your list page... include the pictures (notepad will ignore them.)

2. add commas where needed. There are 5 catagories, so 4 commas per line, just double comma where there is no data for the field. it should look something like this:

Alaska Brass 2005,,5,1 coin,Available

Buffalo Wings 2005 (bronze),NonNumbered,1,1 coin,Available

3. delete the extra spaces as needed or wanted.

4. save file as *.csv and then open it with excel.

Granted, it takes a little while to do this, but I got pretty quick with it towards the end of the first one. I did them in groups by available, seeking, keeping and pending, to break the monotany. don't worry if you make mistakes with too many or too few commas, once in excel, you'll see them quickly and find it easier to correct.

I'm thinking of adding the pictures into excel, but I'd like to have images of both sides before I start going to all that trouble.

Yes, it would be nice to have the file available to download a backup for your self, but I think restoring all the services will take priority over adding new features.

btw, if they are going to go to the trouble to create the comma delimited file, it might be nice to be able to upload those files so we can do our own data recoveries if they become necessary in the future.

Yes, it would be nice to have the file available to download a backup for your self, but I think restoring all the services will take priority over adding new features.

Oh, I know. I'm just making my request known now.

btw, if they are going to go to the trouble to create the comma delimited file, it might be nice to be able to upload those files so we can do our own data recoveries if they become necessary in the future.

Yep, I totally agree. And was going to say as much. It was just VERY late here when I posted what I did. So my brain wasn't still firing on all cylanders.

Whew, what a mess. It's too late here to mess with it anymore. I at least got rid of the coins I don't have or seek anymore, and then cleaned up all the ones I received in the last 2 weeks. This is going to take hours :)

I have a feature request. Users need to be able to download their trading lists in a comma delimited file (excel) so we can back up our own data from now on.

Willie added that last night. We'll announce it later today. (Or I guess I just did...) People with Trading Lists can now do exactly that.

--Marc

December 8, 2005 @ 8:39 AM

As I was adding a new trade to my list this morning, I noticed that. (Thank you Willie)

Work on what you gotta work on, but once that's done, being able to upload that same file from our end would allow us to do our own data restore should this ever happen again. I have no problem downloading that tab delimited file every night to ensure I don't have to spend 5 hours fixing this list ever again. (Yeah, it will take at least that long, possibly longer) to go through each entry in each section and compare the entry to the actual coin, paypal receipt, and trade email)

Edited by AtlantaGal
As I was adding a new trade to my list this morning, I noticed that. (Thank you Willie)

Work on what you gotta work on, but once that's done, being able to upload that same file from our end would allow us to do our own data restore should this ever happen again. I have no problem downloading that tab delimited file every night to ensure I don't have to spend 5 hours fixing this list ever again.  (Yeah, it will take at least that long, possibly longer) to go through each entry in each section and compare the entry to the actual coin, paypal receipt, and trade email)

Willie also mentioned working up an Excel Upload as well, but that's a tougher thing to do. (It would certainly serve people with already existing spreadsheets to let them become "Instant Trading List" managers).

An automatic download feature of the file doesn't seem too problematic either.

--Marc

December 8, 2005 @ 8:55 AM

I really enjoyed the posts from people saying how foolish cointracking is for only having their data backed up in one place (by the host). And then saying how they lost everything because they only had their coins organized on cointracking (one place). :)

That should make you stop and think...

I'm not thrilled and it will take a little work but I'll be updating my list on cointracking from my excel file. Without that site I wouldn't have most of the coins for which I have been able to trade.

What is everybody doing about their listings that they've already paid for but are now showing up as "Seeking"? Just leave it alone? I'm also getting emails about all of these new coin lists (including my own) and coin editions. I guess I'll just have to ignore anything coming from them for a few days. :)

I really enjoyed the posts from people saying how foolish cointracking is for only having their data backed up in one place (by the host). And then saying how they lost everything because they only had their coins organized on cointracking (one place). :)

That should make you stop and think...

Actually, it shouldn't. If I was going to back up my own data, I wouldn't have paid for their trading list service to begin with. What would be the point? I would have just kept it on my free webspace where it used to reside. Jeez, maybe some other folks should really stop and THINK before typing.

What is everybody doing about their listings that they've already paid for but are now showing up as "Seeking"? Just leave it alone? I'm also getting emails about all of these new coin lists (including my own) and coin editions. I guess I'll just have to ignore anything coming from them for a few days. :D

Yesterday before the crash, I switched everyone on my editions to "paid" if they were part of the pre-order. I will just do it again as they add themselves to the list. :)

Well I went to make changes to my list and found my membership downgraded... then came and read what had happened. Its a shame I lost my new list, but stuff happens... I understand all too well what it is like to rely on an outsourced service. I take it I'll be restored soon so I can rebuild my list.

I guess you have already chosen a new provider, but it might be a good idea to check out a few and see if they have Audit reports such as a SAS70 that you can view. The report should outline any potential problems. I would think any larger hosting company should have such a report available.

I think mine is almost back to normal now.... 5 hours invested :P

I use the site for my Trading List too, and Monday I started my "Get 'em out by the end of the year" push for all of the extras I have on hand. All but one was traded, and all the data was put into my Trading List. I spent hours at it, and was terribly pleased when I was finished.

I know how much time I lost just for what I did myself over my big push just this week, so I take every, single mention of lost hours or lost days very seriously, and I make no light of the fact that I know that judging from my 3 or 5 or 7 hours to get all of my Tracking Numbers back, and redo all the traded coins that have magically re-appeared in my list, that multiplying that by all of the people who were affected comes out to a massive amount of lost time in the aggregate.

Don't think that I haven't spent most of my waking hours mentally kicking myself for not expecting the worst case scenario at all times. Worst-case scenarios have a way of sneaking up on you when you least expect them, or manage to fail to plan for them.

The one light in this, aside from every individual mention of support (even if it's mixed in with being peeved off), is that our available backup was only two weeks old because we did the major restructuring of the databases and backed up before and after that. The Hosting Provider only could restore from October 21st - we could back up from November 21st. We are leaving them today for a brand new host with more redundancy, and have built in the Excel Download so every Trading List manager now "Owns" their own data.

--Marc

December 8, 2005 @ 3:12 PM

I'm not a rabid collector but I do collect. I really like the cointracking.com site because it gives me an avenue to post my poker chips so they get exposed to other collectors for trades. It's totally worth the $5 IMHO.

I have my "inventory" on an excel spreadsheet so I wasn't worried and I am in the process of developing a webpage on my geocaching site for all my sig items.

Thanks to the guys at cointracking.com for doing what you could as fast as you could to get things back up and running.

From Willie (aka Sancprod on CoinTracking.com)

I hear you all loud and clear! And we share the same sentiments. We were hosed and in turn you got hosed. The site growth since July has been tremendous. The growth in the last two weeks is unspeakable. The amount of coin posts, new accounts, and editions was record setting and we are just as bummed as all of you because we use the site too.

As we restore accounts and editions we are preparing a server of our own where someone else's fiddling won't affect us. We are also implementing daily backups of our massive database. We have learned from this mess and to be quite honest, we never thought the site would become as popular as it did as quickly as it has.

Thanks for hanging in there with us.

PS - Look in MyCoins to see the new download to excel option. This will at least give you a little safety net eventhough we are implementing our own. This cannot happen again. You cannot import that list yet but soon you will be able to (good for those who dont want to manually input their excel lists in the future).

What is everybody doing about their listings that they've already paid for but are now showing up as "Seeking"? Just leave it alone? I'm also getting emails about all of these new coin lists (including my own) and coin editions. I guess I'll just have to ignore anything coming from them for a few days. :P

You can unsubscribe from (or subscribe to) the Group Email that automatically sends out an email alert when a new Coin Edition or Trading List is created. You can get a real "heads up" on new coins:

http://cointracking.com/alert.php

But it is, for the time being, also automatically sending the alert as people recreate their Coin Editions and Trading Lists. We are getting closer to what we had before the loss - about 112 Coin Editions and 122 Trading Lists - so the extra alerts will subside.

--Marc

December 8, 2005 @ 6:02 PM

Question

Why is that everytime I go to add a coin as keeping/seeking/pending/ which ever, it adds it twice?? Then I have to go back through and delete the extra log.

This has been going on before the crash.

I think it might be fixed. The last coupla editions I added before dinner didn't double post like they have been doing.

Question

Why is that everytime I go to add a coin as keeping/seeking/pending/ which ever, it adds it twice??  Then I have to go back through and delete the extra log. 

I think it might be fixed. The last coupla editions I added before dinner didn't double post like they have been doing.

It just did it to me like 2 minutes ago. :P

Question

Why is that everytime I go to add a coin as keeping/seeking/pending/ which ever, it adds it twice??  Then I have to go back through and delete the extra log. 

It just did it to me like 2 minutes ago. :anibad:

Us too! :laughing:

Question

Because nobody has yet sent us a "step by step" of exactly what they do to make this error happen.

It doesn't happen to us (I'm on a Mac and Willie is on a PC), so it must be a browser (or firewall!) issue.

Please email that to "admin@cointracking.com" and we'll see the error and fix it.

--Marc

December 8, 2005 @ 7:57 PM

It's been a real pain, but I think I might have my list close to where it was before the crash.

Is there going to be more frequent backing up data on cointracking.com's part??

Marc says there is, but I'd advise you to click that little link to download into an excel file evey day that you make a lot of changes. That's what I am doing :laughing: