Garmin Gpsmap76c

The other day while caching, I was field testing a coworker's Cobra 500 and let the wife carry my Garmin Legend. The Cobra performed miserably whether I was in tree cover, on the side of a hill, or just on flat ground. I had to hike back to my truck and find my old Venture that I hadn't used in nearly 2 years! Well, while the wife was looking for one of the waypoints on the multi we were attempting, she slipped and scratched the screen on my Legend. :anibad: her bruises will heal, :P but my GPSr is ruined! :D The rubber gasket was already coming off, and the screen connector has been loose for a few months anyway(common problems on the Etrex line). Seems to me that it's a good time to shop for a new GPSr! :D

The important thing is this: I don't like buttons on the bottom of the 60-series and eXplorist GPSrs, so I'm looking at the 76. I used Garmin's "comparison" page to get the specs on the GPS 76, GPSMAP 60C, GPSMAP 76, and the GPSMAP 76C. I've already decided I want color, so with not liking the 60-series I should probably go ahead and get the GPSMAP 76C.

However comma :D I'd like to hear from some of you that have actually used the 76C before I shell out $350 to get one.

I love my 76CS which is as close as you can get to the 76C. I think the coverage under tree cover is as good as any gps out there. With having a 76S also I am quite comfortable using a gps with the buttons over the screen and it has never been a problem for me. The color screen is the only reason I upgraded to the CS and I haven't regretted it. I only wish I would have had a good excuse like you do for buying a new gps. Enjoy the color screen.

Well, shell out some more $ to get 76cs with electronic compass. It will show you the bearing even if you're standing still or walking around in the cache area. It's not perfect, but very useful still.

As a bonus you'll get the altimeter/air pressure gauge that will tell you e.g. whether it's going to rain or will the sun shine.

Ive got the Map60C and Map76S, and they both are good, but I find that the 60C is getting slightly better tracklogging, because the Antenna sits up higher from my hand, and I can see the display better, whereas my 76S sits lower in my hand due to the button placement, and I get more errors in my tracklogs with the 76S.

Ive got the Map60C and Map76S, and they both are good, but I find that the 60C is getting slightly better tracklogging, because the Antenna sits up higher from my hand, and I can see the display better, whereas my 76S sits lower in my hand due to the button placement, and I get more errors in my tracklogs with the 76S.

The 76S and 76C/S are very, very different GPS units. The 76C/S and 60C/S are identical as far as the guts, screen and firmware are concerned, only the cases are different.

I am VERY pleased with my 76C. Works beautifully in the local woods (I live in southwestern British Columbia). I use mine primarily for Geocaching and also do a lot of auto-routing with it. No complaints whatsoever.

Memory has been good, too. I keep CitySelect maps for all of BC, WA and OR in it, plus lots of topographic maps for BC and WA with room to spare.

GeoBC

OK I stand corrected. The 76S and 76CS are not identical or I would have kept my 76S and not upgraded to the CS. But they are close enough in antenna reception, screen size, button location that they are almost twins. I am not sure the compass is all that important but the added memory of the 76CS is nice. All in all you will love the 76C. But that is only my opinion

If at all possible, get to an REI store or other place that carries both units.

The shape of the 60 Series vs. the 76 series is different, and even though you don't like the button placement, you might find the 60 series is more comfortable when you are holding it.

Just a thought . . .

The shape of the 60 Series vs. the 76 series is different, and even though you don't like the button placement, you might find the 60 series is more comfortable when you are holding it.

I keep reading posts like that but IMO, the reason why the 76C/CS, as well as many of the other Garmins had the buttons above the screen in the first place was purely due to ergonomics.

Every one of my Garmins has had that button layout and yes, I've also used a 60CS. IMO, the buttons above the screen is particularly better if you're evaluating it on the basis of what feels better in the hand.

You're right, though, the OP should go to a store and try them out in person.

GeoBC

I had the 76C and it was a wonderful unit, the only reason I sold it was to get a 96C. I would definitely get another one without any hesitation, I got mine from gpsdiscount, they ship very quickly and afte 3 units from them they have always given great service. The 76 case also lends itself very well to one handed operation, likely why the aviation units use the 76 case as oposed to the 60 case.

The 76 family with their top mounted buttons are much easier to use single-handed, especially in winter when you're wearing gloves. It's just natural the way your thumb is positioned over the buttons as you carry the unit. I haven't used a 60 series but it looks like the buttons are a bit of a reach for your thumb if you try to use it with just one hand. My 76cs operates easily and carries well...I like it much more than my old Vista.

We have a 76CS and absolutely love it. We questioned a lot whether we should get the 76C or the 76CS but we also have an eTrex Summit and that has the sensors and we find the electronic compass great especially when Geocaching as you tend to spend quite a lot of time standing still when very near a cache. The compass isn't all that accurate but it is good enough providing you keep it calibrated.

We haven't yet found any use for the altimeter but we are still looking for one! :lol:

I would recommend spending the extra on the 76CS.