A Specification For Bad-weather Caches

Enchanted Shadow

I made a post in the Northeast Sub asking for local versions of this - but on a grander scale...

Something that is very difficult to search for - either on Geocaching.com or through GSAK - are caches that are good choices to look for during times of bad weather, if you're not in a mood to get completely drenched/muddy (and sometimes you are, let's admit it!).

Most caches don't fall into this category - but there are a few that do. If nothing else, Multi-stage caches where the first part is in an indoor location (such as "What a Girl Wants") can at least be started - with the last stages to be completed once the weather clears up. Plus there are no small number of Drive-Thru caches, where you don't even have to leave your car in order to do them.

I think would be a great idea if there were a category where Cache Owners could specify if either all or part of their cache could be comfortably searched for during bad weather.

I think it will help people to enjoy Geocaching during ALL times of the year. :anibad:

What do you guys think?

[Edited to add the possibility of Drive-Thru caches]

Edited by Enchanted Shadow

So a "Rainy Day" attribute? I wouldn't dismiss it outright. However you should keep in mind that I live in Seattle, where most look down on folks who even bother with umbrellas. :P

:D

Still doable. For example, there are no small number of caches that are practically Drive-Thru caches. If you can do a cache without ever needing to leave your car, I think that would definitely qualify. :anibad:

So a "Rainy Day" attribute? I wouldn't dismiss it outright. However you should keep in mind that I live in Seattle, where most look down on folks who even bother with umbrellas. :anibad:

Or "it's too hot out" for us desert folks? We usually go out because it's raining.

So a "Rainy Day" attribute? I wouldn't dismiss it outright. However you should keep in mind that I live in Seattle, where most look down on folks who even bother with umbrellas. :D

:D

Still doable. For example, there are no small number of caches that are practically Drive-Thru caches. If you can do a cache without ever needing to leave your car, I think that would definitely qualify. :anibad:

Hey, I have one of those.

At least on weekends. :P

EDIT to add appropriate quote.

Edited by idiosyncratic

Or "it's too hot out" for us desert folks?  We usually go out because it's raining.

Although you wouldn't really need to search for anything special under those circumstances would you? Since 90% of caches are outdoors.... :anibad:

But people who are trying to avoid rain, snow, mud, hail, etc... are up Geocaching Creek when it comes to finding such a cache - it's *really* difficult to do any decent search along those lines.

Or "it's too hot out" for us desert folks?  We usually go out because it's raining.

Although you wouldn't really need to search for anything special under those circumstances would you? Since 90% of caches are outdoors.... :anibad:

But people who are trying to avoid rain, snow, mud, hail, etc... are up Geocaching Creek when it comes to finding such a cache - it's *really* difficult to do any decent search along those lines.

Probably 99% are outdoors. 90% have no shade. However, there are a few that have creeks, waterfalls, trees, etc. They are rare (outside of city parks, of course).

It's an absolute pleasure to find a shady tree and a creek/oasis after hiking across a couple miles of open desert.

Also, we also assume caches are "recommended at night" during the summer months.

I would say anything that's considered a park and grab should be okay for incliment weather conditions. Biggest thing is you don't want to be outta your car too long. I'd look for that time attribute, the one that says a cache can be done in less than an hour.

So a "Rainy Day" attribute? I wouldn't dismiss it outright. However you should keep in mind that I live in Seattle, where most look down on folks who even bother with umbrellas. :P

Or "it's too hot out" for us desert folks? We usually go out because it's raining.

We go caching when it's snowing because cold weather keeps the tourists off the trails :anibad:

So a "Rainy Day" attribute? I wouldn't dismiss it outright. However you should keep in mind that I live in Seattle, where most look down on folks who even bother with umbrellas. :anibad:

We go caching when it's snowing because cold weather keeps the tourists off the trails :P

Hmmm.. that's why your skin tone is blue. :D

I would say anything that's considered a park and grab should be okay for incliment weather conditions. Biggest thing is you don't want to be outta your car too long. I'd look for that time attribute, the one that says a cache can be done in less than an hour.

Perhaps those should get a different category, then. Even if you can park 30 feet away, that doesn't account for how long you're going to be out of your car searching for the cache. :anibad:

No, what I'm talking about are caches that you can do while staying completely safe from the weather. The closest exception to that should be rolling down the window of your car.

One way that we can compromise on this is to simply have some sort of numeric Bad Weather Shield rating. Something along the lines of:

Bad Weather Shield Rating:

1 - Park and Grab.

Cache is within quick dashing distance from parking. You might have to brave the weather for a couple of minutes, depending on how long it takes you to find the cache.

2 - Drive Up Cache.

No need to leave your vehicle. You will only be exposed to weather for as long as your car window is open.

3 - Partial Indoor.

Multi-Stage caches where at least one stage is located indoors or completely shielded from weather. The only exposure to weather will be from your car to the shielded area.

4 - Complete Indoor.

All stages (if there are more than one) are located completely indoors or completely shielded from weather. The only exposure to weather will be from your car to the shielded area.

You must live close to me, in May its rained 20 of 26 days and on every weekend for the last 6, this weekend will be 7 weekends in a row with bad weather.

We just pick the best few hours of the week end or week day afternoon and get in what we can. I think when we get some good weather we may do a full weekend of caching, camping out over night.

Good luck.

The more I think about it....

If it's a nice day, I go caching.

If it's a fair day, I go caching.

If it's a horrible day, I go caching.

If I run out of geo-gas money, I watch a movie.

That's fine.

Now for everyone else - or for everyone else when you have a reason to avoid bad weather (i.e. family, injury, etc.) ...

On bad weather days (raining or too hot, doesn't matter) I work on the solutions to puzzle caches. :P

That's not a half bad idea. :anibad:

But as there are some caches that are particularly well suited for bad weather, I think it would be a good idea to have caches searchable for that quality.

I can't be the only one who would find that useful... :D

Dang! I'd hoped for some brainstorming type ideas!

Something along the lines of a cache that could only be done in bad weather :laughing: ... perhaps a multi where the final cache co-ords are displayed on an LCD powered by a turbine within a downpipe, so heavy rain required.

I sure like this idea better then I like the idea of all the hand-holding requested in some of the other posts.