Any Recommendations For Bad Weather Caches?

Enchanted Shadow

Something that is very difficult to search for - either on Geocaching.com or through GSAK - are caches that are good choices to look for during times of bad weather, if you're not in a mood to get completely drenched and muddy (and sometimes you are, let's admit it!).

Most caches don't fall into this category - but there are a few that do. If nothing else, Multi-stage caches where the first part is in an indoor location (such as "What a Girl Wants") can at least be started - with the last stages to be completed once the weather clears up. There are also no small number of Drive-Thru caches, where you never even have to leave your car in order to do the cache.

I'll make a post on the Geocaching Web Site subboard to recommend that it might be nice to address this - but in the meantime, does anyone have any recommendations for good bad-weather caches, say, within a hundred miles of NYC?

I'm not looking for Virtual Caches - I'd prefer Traditional or Multi's - but I don't mind of the indoor portion is a virtual (as it is in "What a Girl Wants").

Until and unless changes are made to Geocaching.com to address this, it might be nice to have a thread or two that are repositories of bad-weather caches. I think it will help people to enjoy this activity during all times of the year. :anibad:

[Edited to add the possibility of Drive-Thru caches]

Edited by Enchanted Shadow

OK, someone was going to post something like this, So I will do it first.

Suck it up! :anibad: Joking

That being said, maybe it might help to have a listing of the ones that are drive ups and good for foul weather, but anything with a 1/1 rating should probably be able to be done without really getting too wet or cold if done with a little planning. That's the purpose of the rating system.

However, there is no guarantee that the easy one for you would be easy for me, and vice versa. Sometimes you find them, sometimes you don't. The more time wasted in the freezing rain staring at the same fake rock or guardrail, the more motivated you are to learn how the cache might be placed and get it quicker.

I dont know if that was clear or not, but basically I am saying that the mroe experienced you get, the easier it is to find them in theory. In reality, sometimes you just don't see the obvious ones regarless of being able to drive up or not.

OK, someone was going to post something like this, So I will do it first.

Suck it up! :anibad: Joking

That being said, maybe it might help to have a listing of the ones that are drive ups and good for foul weather, but anything with a 1/1 rating should probably be able to be done without really getting too wet or cold if done with a little planning.  That's the purpose of the rating system. 

However, there is no guarantee that the easy one for you would be easy for me, and vice versa.  Sometimes you find them, sometimes you don't.  The more time wasted in the freezing rain staring at the same fake rock or guardrail, the more motivated you are to learn how the cache might be placed and get it quicker. 

I dont know if that was clear or not, but basically I am saying that the mroe experienced you get, the easier it is to find them in theory.  In reality, sometimes you just don't see the obvious ones regarless of being able to drive up or not.

I realize that, but this isn't about ease to find - this was about avoiding bad weather.

You could have a D/T rating of 5/5 - and have the cache hidden in an underground cavern system. But you would be shielded from the weather, and that's what I'm looking for.

I'm not talking about easy ones, specifically - but sometimes circumstances are such that you don't want to be exposed to the elements. This might be because you have family or friends along, or it might be because you have an injury that prevents you from dealing with slippery ground and/or the injured area getting wet.

So, this has nothing to do with difficulty. I'm just asking for recommendations on caches that are at least partially shielded from bad weather. :P

Rain shouldn't be a major problem for many caches. In my experience caching on rainy days, there'll be periods of light rain and periods of heavy rain. If you can time it so that you go and grab the cache in a light rain period, it shouldn't be that bad. I'd avoid any caches that require crossing streams on stepping stones (because the water level may be higher than usual) or caches in areas that may become waterlogged. Of course, you may be able to do a cache that's near parking even during heavy rain. Just bring it back to the car to sign in.

You could have a D/T rating of 5/5 - and have the cache hidden in an underground cavern system. But you would be shielded from the weather, and that's what I'm looking for.

I'm not talking about easy ones, specifically - but sometimes circumstances are such that you don't want to be exposed to the elements.

Yeah, but GPS signals don't hit the inside of buildings or caverns, so there are probably very very few of these. I was aware of one in Newark, but it is gone. I believe it was in the library. There are a few similar ones that I have hear of, but they were scattered over a very wide territory.

Lets see what others have to say. You might be onto something interesting.

Yeah, but GPS signals don't hit the inside of buildings or caverns, so there are probably very very few of these.  I was aware of one in Newark, but it is gone.  I believe it was in the library.  There are a few similar ones that I have hear of, but they were scattered over a very wide territory.

Lets see what others have to say.  You might be onto something interesting.

Some Multi-Stage or Mystery caches have sections where the GPS coordinates lead you to the entrance only. After that, you have to follow whatever clues or guidelines are given in the cache instructions. Those are still viable.

The example I gave in my initial post - "What a Girl Wants" is such a cache. The problem is, you would never have known it even from the cache description until you tried it. And therein lies the problem. :lol:

I'm aware of a few virts that can be done from inside a car, but I can't think of any real caches where you don't have to go outside.  Since getting outdoors is a big part of this sport, the overwhelming majority of caches require getting out into the elements.

Oh, I do realize that. There's no doubt about it that this is a specialty category - but not everyone is always able to dive into bad weather each and every time.

And it would be nice to know which ones can be done under these circumstances. Not everyone cares - but I think if the information was made available, those caches would get significantly more traffic on bad weather days. :lol:

Rain shouldn't be a major problem for many caches. In my experience caching on rainy days, there'll be periods of light rain and periods of heavy rain. If you can time it so that you go and grab the cache in a light rain period, it shouldn't be that bad. I'd avoid any caches that require crossing streams on stepping stones (because the water level may be higher than usual) or caches in areas that may become waterlogged. Of course, you may be able to do a cache that's near parking even during heavy rain. Just bring it back to the car to sign in.

Most of the time, I can dive into the nasty stuff along with everyone else.

But every now and then, it's not such a great idea. I wanted to find out which caches could be done during those times. :lol:

This is not really what you are refering to but....How about putting together a list of puzzle caches you would someday like to tackle. You could then use your bad weather days to do any decoding or internet research to solve the clues, If you travel on vacation or for work you could PQ puzzle caches hoping to have some brainwork done ahead of time for the actual outdoors caching. I hope ya'll think of this as a good idea?? Diane

Can't spell..

Edited by 1BuzyMom

This is not really what you are refering to but....How about putting together a list of puzzle caches you would someday like to tackle.  You could then use your bad weather days to do any decoding or internet research to solve the clues,  If you travel on vacation or for work you could PQ puzzle caches hoping to have some brainwork done ahead of time for the actual outdoors caching.  I hope ya'll think of this as a good idea??  Diane

Can't spell..

It's not a bad idea, and I already do that to an extent.

But sometimes you just have the itch to go out and bag some, you know? And it's specifically because I *have* seen appropriate caches, that I'm asking if anyone else knows of any that they'd like to list. :lol:

But sometimes you just have the itch to go out and bag some, you know? And it's specifically because I *have* seen appropriate caches, that I'm asking if anyone else knows of any that they'd like to list.

I think the problem is that there are very, very few of these. Probably a handful spread throughout the entire country. Perhaps what you need to do on those days is to stick with easy urban caches.

I think the problem is that there are very, very few of these. Probably a handful spread throughout the entire country.  Perhaps what you need to do on those days is to stick with easy urban caches.

Oh, I realize that they're definitely on the rare side. But I think more of them exist than you might realize - admittedly, depending on where in the country we're talking about.

But aside from that, if they were that easy to find, I wouldn't have posted a thread asking for recommendations, would I? :lol:

I haven't come across a list of caches like that. You'll just have to read cache descriptions.

You can try this cache on Long Island, for instance. (However, even if it's not raining in there, you may still need wading boots.)

You know, that wouldn't be bad for a last resort, if it weren't for the fact that cache descriptions frequently don't list things like indoor locations because they want it to be a surprise. :laughing: