Dog Doings

What's Job

:anibad: We feel very much that our experiences with cacheing are spolit by irresponsible dog owners. Our second child (Zoe 11) comes with us andi is part of the team, but the dog fouling is unacceptable. I do not want my daughter exposed to dog mess.

Granted, some cachers are dog owners, but CITO is just taking the mickey, it isn't the trash that's the problem.

Be responsible to everyone, and dogowners are not that sometimes. It just spoils the countryside for us.

While I agree that pooch owners need to be responsible, I doubt that most of the mess your delicate child runs into is from geocachers so much as maybe feral run abouts or other irresponsible owners. Most cachers I have met are eco-centric and extremely conscientious as to what they leave behind.

Yes, I know there are exceptions, but that hardly warrants fussing at us humble dog owning cachers that love to take 'ole Yellar out huntin'. Come to think of it, most of the poo my nine-year-old-wouldn't think of complaining about gettin' a little nature on her-Geocaching queen- daughter gets on her is from deer and such.

:anibad:

Edited by T-Bone and Maddawg
:anibad: We feel very much that our experiences with cacheing are spolit by irresponsible dog owners. Our second child (Zoe 11) comes with us andi is part of the team, but the dog fouling is unacceptable. I do not want my daughter exposed to dog mess.

While I agree that dog owners should clean up after their pets (which my wife and I do, btw), I also think it is a bit silly to worry about "exposing" your child to dog poop. If you're really that freaked out by it, I recommend avoid vacationing in France and Spain (lots of dog poop on the sidewalks compared to here [Canada]).

Out of curiousity, where do you see all this dog poop? Perhaps the poop situation is really bad in your neck of the woods and I'm just being insensitive. It's not a problem here at all.

GeoBC

Sic em Jake! Just kidding Jake wouldn't hurt a fly. :anibad:

Trash is a problem, poo will go away trash is forever. This not to say that pet owners shouldn't clean up after their dogs. I always have the items I need to clean up behind Jake. Some owners don't. I've noticed that parks which offer "Mutt Mitts" are cleaner than those that don't. Maybe you should contact your local Parks and Recreation department and suggest more Doggy sanitation stations?

I must agree with T-Bone that chances are the poop you come across is not from a cacher's pup. I have 3 dogs, but I do not take them caching, and when they're out, they only pee everywhere :anibad: .

Another good point is the fact the cachers are eco-centric. Even *I* never picked up other people's trash, anytime, unless it was something I wanted. I now find myself picking up cans and clean litter when i'm around the cache hiding spot. A clean cache spot will be more visually pleasing. A dirty cache spot will leave a mark on the owners mind not to recommend that cache to others, especially children. I try to leave the spot more 'natural' than I found it. Especially in high traffic parks and such.

Yet i'm confused about not having your daughter 'exposed' to dog mess. If that '11' translates to an age, then i'm sure your daughter has encountered such by now and can avoid when necessary. I would be more worried about litter, as it is not biodegradable, looks awful, and is the result of people. Dog poo on the other hand is natural, washes away with water or rain, does not pose serious health risks.

Edited by Marcie/Eric

Yes, we go to Spain and France often - as well as much of Europe.

I don't like anyone- kids or none others standing in dog mess- there are diseases you can get fom it.

Good- you clean up your dog's mess- do you appreciate what it is like in this country- you have the space- we don't

Dog owners in this country have dogs when they do not have the land to own them.

Since I posted there have been many 'good' posts- Thank You

Don't pick up on the daughter 11 thing ,That is just me fussing-

The replies I have had really reassure me.

Can I ask something else:

here goes

We have been cacheing for a year or so- we have recently hid a series and many 'old timers' have found the final cache no problem and apparently enjoyed it.

The last person to find it has taken it as his prerogative to add an encrypted clue.

He is only a newcomer- should he not have contacted us first?

What is the protocol?

Since I posted there have been many 'good' posts- Thank You

Don't pick up on the daughter 11 thing ,That is just me fussing-

The replies I have had really reassure me.

Can I ask something else:

here goes

We have been cacheing for a year or so- we have recently hid a series and many 'old timers' have found the final cache no problem and apparently enjoyed it.

The last person to find it has taken it as his prerogative to add an encrypted clue.

He is only a newcomer- should he not have contacted us first?

What is the protocol?

Not knowing the details of the situation, if you don't want the clue listed in his log I suggest that you email the cacher that listed the clue and ask him to remove it.

Cachers leaving clues for future finders like "check under the bush" are in bad form. However, if the coords are off by 75 feet, people will usually note that in their log if not actually leave new coordinates. This is generally an accepted practice.

Scoob

The comment about the deer droppings is totally unasked for and a very different issue- all I can say to him is grow up.

Wild animals are a very different thing. My whole point is gettting back to basics and appreciating nature- thought that is what cacheing was al about :anibad:

The comment about the deer droppings is totally unasked for and a very different issue- all I can say to him is grow up.

Wild animals are a very different thing. My whole point is gettting back to basics and appreciating nature- thought that is what cacheing was al about :anibad:

Would coyote or wolf droppings be similar enough????

From a purely environmental standpoint, just flipping the deposit off into the brush or burying it off the trail is better than taking it home and putting it in the landfill.

In a landfill it will take decades or centuries to completely decompose versus a few months in the wild.

I find worse things to complain about than dog deposits. They're pretty far down the list of peeves. :P

You just do not do it do you????

If you're talking about leaving a clue, I would say no you don't. If the cache owner does not want to give a clue, the decison has been made and others should not provide more information even if encrypted without discussing it with the owner. Finders could always email and suggest a clue be added or a clairfication be made but I don't think Joe Blow should take it upon himself to add more information. I'm sure someone will suggest there are circumstances where this could be questioned, but in general I think it's sound thinking.

Scoob

While I can understand not enjoying a foot in dog doo, it really doesn't rank high on my list of problems in the outdoors.

Most parks around here have scads of ducks and geese that poop everywhere. Some places have similar issues with pigeons.

Then there is the droppings of the furry animals that haunt the woodlands and praries instead of the urban parks.

So, I do understand where you are coming from, I just don't share your degree of concern.

Poop is one of nature's fertilizers and disappears quickly as worms and micro critters consume it as food and bring into into the soil as food for plants and other organisms.

Poop is good in other words, but I do understand your aversion to stepping in it.

Thing is, you will never eliminate it as long as there are animals who don't use toilets so perhaps you will want to become more accustomed to it for your own sake. The risk of disease is quite negligible if that is of any help.

Granted, some cachers are dog owners, but CITO is just taking the mickey, it isn't the trash that's the problem.

Be responsible to everyone, and dogowners are not that sometimes. It just spoils the countryside for us.

Note that the OP was talking about dog owners and not cachers which some posters assumed. I can assure you this happens in the US. There is a state park near me that has a gate to the main road which the ranger keeps plowed so people can walk in the woods in the winter. You have to walk around gate between two posts that keep out the snowmobiles and there are often several piles on that 8 foot path.

There are responsible dog owners who keep their dogs leashed and pick up after them, but it seems to me there are many more irresponsible owners who do not.

If you think finding dog feces on the trail to the cache is bad, check out what happened to this cache. :anibad:

People, when you read the note for the cache you will see the offender's name and address in the note. Please don't do anything stupid or nasty to the guy. The cache is in a public park, and if property managers find geocachers are harassing the guy or vandalizing his property they will ban geocaching from the park in a flash.

I would report to the Parks Department and the Police Department that the guy is vandalizing caches that children find by putting feces in them. That would make him look like a pretty big creep.

What about horse poop?? A few of the caches around here are on trails where horses are ridden. If you think dog poop is horrible to deal with, try horse poop! Or riding your bikes with a kiddie trailer and avoiding the stuff! Dog owners can atleast be fined if they don't pick up the mess (although they never get caught). Horses can poop in the middle, side, heck all over the trail and it's legal.

And disease wise, I don't think getting some on her shoe is going to make her sick. I'd be more concerned about west nile virus or ticks or heck posion ivy!

As far as decyrpting logs, I have done a couple. One was to add something about the cache, which didn't give it away, but I didn't want it out in the open either. Not sure what the person posted in yours, but I wouldn't be too worried, atleast he decrypted it, so not everyone would see it, unless they clicked the button.

Edited by Team Snoopy
I don't like anyone- kids or none others standing in dog mess- there are diseases you can get fom it.

I wouldn't worry so much about that...I totally agree with you that getting any kind of poop on you is a less than pleasant experience but unless you eat it, poke it in your eye, or smear it onto an open wound, you're probably pretty safe.

It sounds like you're a responsible and concerned parent so I'm assuming your kids aren't the poop-eating types :lol:

I do get really irritated about dog poop, but at least a lot of owners are responsible on that. I have a much greater problem with horse poop....

I think England is a bit different from the USA in this respect.

Yes I love my daughter- as also my son- but do not patronise me

Whats Job,

I don't think that most of those who responded at the beginning of this thread realised that you are in the UK, where conditions may be much different than they are here in the USA. Sometimes we forget the international nature of this sport, and assume that every forum post is from an American.

Dog droppings are sometimes a problem for cachers in the USA--particularly in urban parks. In rural areas however, where the majority of caches are hidden, dog poop is not an issue--especially when compared to mosquitoes, black flies, briars, ticks, poison ivy, snakes, bears, and so on.

I can imagine there are many geocaching venues in highly populated areas where dog poop is a problem. I don't know what you can do about it, though.

Oh puh-lease. There are diseases you can get from contaminated water fording a stream. There are diseases you can get from plants. You know what? There are even diseases you can get from BREATHING THINGS IN THE AIR. Should we stop breathing as well?

Maybe if you're that worried about your daughter getting dog poop on her you shouldn't be taking her out on the trail in the first place.

As a dog owner who takes his dog out caching frequently, let me warn you that when we are in an outdoor situation where deer and other animals are defecating freely, my dog makes his own ecological contributions which are left where they stand. OK, if they are on the trail I will flip them aside, but if we are in the "wilderness" then I do not clean up after him. On the other hand, when I walk said pooch around my neighborhood I ALWAYS clean up after him, and I do the same whenever I am in a park or other people-centric location, or if the trail we are using is heavily traveled. I wish I could say the same about my neighbor, who appears to have trained his dog to unload anywhere BUT his own yard :laughing: . My point here is that animal feces are as much a feature of the outdoors as the lovely trees, the sky, and the birds. Not as attractive, I'll grant you, but every bit as important, and every bit as natural. As earlier posters mentioned, his droppings actually enhance the environment from a fertilization standpoint, and they will break down quickly. This is most definitely NOT the case for the same package wrapped in a plastic bag and shipped off to a landfill.

Methinks you doth protest too much.

Edited by ZingerHead

Oh puh-lease. There are diseases you can get from contaminated water fording a stream. There are diseases you can get from plants. You know what? There are even diseases you can get from BREATHING THINGS IN THE AIR. Should we stop breathing as well?

Maybe if you're that worried about your daughter getting dog poop on her you shouldn't be taking her out on the trail in the first place.

The argument that you can diseases everywhere is no justification for careless and antisocial actions that exposes someone to yet another disease.

Suggesting that if the cacher didn't like her daughter be exposed to piles of dog filth on a public path, they should just not use the path clearly demonstrates a total disregard for other citizens, and suggests a childish belief that you should bear no responsibility for your actions.

I won't respond to ParrotRob's question "Should we stop breathing as well?" because my reply would bo so trite.

ParrotRob, I am assuming you own both dogs and guns?

I own both a dog and guns, whats your point ?, my dog usually goes with me when I go caching and I clean up after her, there are responsible dog owners and there are those that could care less what their dog is doing, much like parents :laughing: , give me dog poop over a dirty diaper left on the trail anyday.

The local park where I do my exercise walking and have several of my caches hidden, has its trails covered with dog droppings. A nice hot day with no breezes really brings out the aroma. And its virtually impossible to not step in any. This brings up the other problems like my son skateboarding on the sidewalk and a dog running up and biting him. My wife was bit walking 2 blocks from our house, also on the side walk. The house 3 up from ours have 2 Rotweillers that got loose in the elementary school across the street. I have been chased, cornered and almost attacked 3 times in recent years. This is in our "good" neighborhood.

When I was a dog owner, I was more responsible, but there is a worse consideration/caring for others in general now. ONe positive development is that home insurers are now now covering certain breeds of dogs. This means if you own those dogs you are not covered. Hope some of these people lose their houses in lawsuits.

ParrotRob, I am assuming you own both dogs and guns?

Dogs yes, guns no. And guess what? When my dog poops in nature, it stays in nature. When my dog poops on the sidewalk, it gets picked up. It's really quite simple - I don't pick up dog poop in the woods any more than I pick up horse poop, deer poop or bear poop.

All depends on where I am at in Nature. Dog poop is just a bit nastier then most other wild animal crap I've seen.

"I have had horse and cow patty fights, but never a Dog crap fight LOL."

If I'm way out in the desert. I'll leave my dog poop there. If I am close to a cache site or near a trail I will pick it up. I keep poop bags on me when I hunt caches with the dogs, but where I'm at depends on if I use them or not. Most of the time I pick it up, but my dog allways seems to poop in high foot trafic areas.

Dog Poop > other animal poop

hehe that is greater than.

Edited by Jim Bob Ferly

Just accept the fact that some people are just rude and nasty. Our school bus stop is along a busy sidewalk where many people walk their dogs. I put up a little sign asking them to not poop in a 10ft long stretch of it to keep it clean for the kids. The very next morning I showed up with the kids and someone had left a nice big deposit right on the sign. Some people just go out of their way to be inconsiderate to the rest of us. I have my own little plan for them if I catch them at it.

First of all, I don't have a dog, I do have guns, but that's a different discussion. I watch where I walk in the woods period. There's a lot worse things you could be stepping other than dung. I'm not bothered by animal dung in the woods. I'd rather see it in the woods than in a playground or other type of recreational field.

Just a quick note. poop from a meat eating animal, (this includes dogs of all kinds, cats of all kinds, bears, etc....and people too) Is more dangerous than poop from herbavores. (animals that eat only plants) because of the e-coli that is excreted from the body. This is not present in horse, cow, deer, or others plant eating animals excrement.

That is not to say that animals should not be cleaned up after. use common sense. if it's on a trail or around a cache....clean it up. If its in the wild, let the natural cleaner-uppers do it.

Dog People think everyone should love there dogs.We havent had alot of problems with dog doo and geocaching.Sometimes our lil guy has too poo when we are out in the woods.What do you do when your on a mountain.No potty there.Just hold it kid!! The dog people are real bad at kids sporting events.What do they think we all brought our lawn chairs to watch the dogs fight or play with them.Maybe they think Spot wants to watch the game too.(They are a family member)As he leaves the mother lode behind.I dont have a dog and thats why.No poo picking up for me. When my kids grow up,I will get a dog.He will be my caching partner.Yes them I will pick up poo.But the dog will stay home for kids sporting events.Dog People!! Team Reno

My point here is that animal feces are as much a feature of the outdoors as the lovely trees, the sky, and the birds. Not as attractive, I'll grant you, but every bit as important, and every bit as natural.

Heh . . . well, actually, I don't really mind finding wild animal scat when I'm out in the wildnerness - it can be kinda fun to try and identify who left it behind. :lol: I don't get the same enjoyment out of dog poop, but I'm also not all that bothered by it, most of the time. Certainly not enough that I'd worry about my son's health (he's only six, and still needs to be reminded to watch where he steps, but no biggie).

BTW, I think your strategy about when you pick up after your dog and when you don't is very sensible.

ETA: I should clarify that I'm not bothered by dog poo out in wilderness areas; people who don't clean up after their dogs on sidewalks or in parks (especially near where children play), yeah, that pisses me off something fierce. :o

Edited by raptor & rex
So I pass a Folsom Police Officer on a horse today and he's walking away from a huge pile of fresh horsestuf. I dunno if he was going to call someone to pick it up or what, but he didn't seem concerned about it..

No one riding horses think it's wrong to leave horse crap all over everything!