Canadian Regional Forums.

Olar

On the heels of the BCGA discussion forum biting the dust is it time that we consider requesting gc.com divide the Canada forum into regions as is the case in the U.S.?? Although a large majority of Canadian issues pertain to all of us from coast to coast there are certain discussions that I do not particularly enjoy or want to participate in.

I know, I know! If I don't like a particular subject matter then I don't have to read it. Unfortunately it is usually necessary to read a few posts before the tone of a discussion is obvious and by then it's too late. Instant depression. At least with a regional set-up I can pick and choose which ones I wish to monitor.

Olar

Olar and I agree on most things:

- Geo-libations

- types of caches we like to hunt

- vehicles we drive

- spandex

But I do have to disagree with him on this issue. Until there are so many topics on the go that they scroll off the screen after one day (like in the UK forum) I think we're okay with one.

Yes I too agree that splitting into regions would initially dilute the number of threads and responses too much. However we could very well see an increase in participation from the very large number of cachers who visit the forums regularly but do not post anything for whatever reason.

Don't forget with the demise of the BCGA forum, there will be a spill-over from that as well automatically increasing the volumn. Actually on second thought some of the posts that come out of BC may scare a bunch of others away. Way too many personality conflicts and character assassinations going on out there. That sort of stuff could be confined to the regional and the other 99.9% of cachers in BC could join the rest of us. This very thread has an example. It took only 14 minutes for one of those postings to appear, subtle though it was.

Anyway you probably get my drift now which is my sole reason for starting this topic.

Cheers, Olar

I say no, for two reasons. One, there aren't that many people posting anyways, and two, I'd be in a forum all by myself. :anibad:

Besides, I don't mind reading the all that crazy BC stuff. It's kind of like trashy reality TV, strangely addictive... :P

Regards,

Anthony

Actually on second thought some of the posts that come out of BC may scare a bunch of others away. Way too many personality conflicts and character assassinations going on out there. That sort of stuff could be confined to the regional and the other 99.9% of cachers in BC could join the rest of us.

That won't happen if everyone's posts follow our Forum Guidelines, especially the guidelines regarding respect for other community members, refraining from personal attacks, and keeping on topic.

If posters do not follow the Forum Guidelines, the moderators will aid in correcting that. And that is why I'm posting, to say hello. Since Cache Tech is presently the only Forum Moderator for the Canada forum, I may assist in here from time to time. I hope that does not become necessary. Hopefully everyone will be able to get along in a single Canada forum. You have some current issues of general interest, and it's helpful to read opinions, respectfully presented, from others who have different points of view and perspectives.

However we could very well see an increase in participation from the very large number of cachers who visit the forums regularly but do not post anything for whatever reason.

After much thought I'm going with the No vote. Getting the nation wide perspective on issues would get lost if split into regions and the number of posts just doesn't warrant it.

I doubt that participation would increase. I once saw statistics about this and it was somewhere in the region of 80% of forum viewers that will never post a message. Mind you there is also the statistic that says somewhere in the region of 80% of statistics are wrong :anibad:

I have to say no as well. In the last 24 hours, there were only six threads with any activity in them, and none of those are particularly long or busy threads. There's just not enough traffic to warrant splitting the Canada forum into different regions.

Well at least you didnt say "nay" or "thrice" :anibad:

Chasing the landslide......

I am in agreement that Canada should stay as a collective forum.

The insite and perspectives of a multi-faceted group help us create a better view point and concensus about issues.

I also agree that if it was divided then potentially the same discussion could be taking place, and we get enough redundancy in our pinned topics already.

And as much as some people like to joke about one section of the country or another, when I see input from BC I am very likely to read it. I most often know how the local cachers feel about things, but I have seen some very good answers or posts from people I don't know.

You might think that I would be all worried about what some people have said in the Parks Canada thread, but I'm not.. You know why? Even the most passionate reply, or outrageous, or levelheaded shows a side, and every side is important.

And like Gonzo-YT said.... I like to read the funny stuff too, and from where I'm sitting, it's not confined to any one province.

Share the wealth !

I guess we have to make Keystone Approver an Honarary Canadian!!!

So KA, start using more "U"'s in your words and learn this one truth

Krispy Kreme makes donuts, TIM HORTON's makes Doughnuts.

This important for two reasons

1.... Pastry is made from "dough", not "do".... (there's an image)

2.... Tim's is quickly taking over, and soon you and the rest of your country will fall victim (see TIM slips in there) to our way of life!

The Red Coats are coming! It's the Canadian Conspiracy!!!! (great made-for-TV movie by the way)

:lol: The Blue Quasar

edit: By the way.... you lost the War of 1812 too! The only war you lost, gee and it was to us! It's okay, our troops kept warm when we set fire to the White House.

I'm just teasing you Keystone.... I still love you like a 'never met you in real life, but you're really groovy kinda way"

Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Edited by The Blue Quasar

I vote no on splitting up the Canadian forum into regions

My two reasons are:

- it has little traffic as is

- I think it's great to see what's going on in other places of the Country.

The regional forums that are cropping up ( MGA down here ) are a great place for discussing the regional stuff and they maintain a local colour, while the Canadian forum on GC.COM is a great place to talk about things of national interest.

Keystone, maybe you could get Carleen to help Mod the Canadian forum. She can see both sides of any argument and would keep the angst to a minimum. :lol:

Edited by davwil
I say no, for two reasons. One, there aren't that many people posting anyways, and two, I'd be in a forum all by myself. :lol:

Besides, I don't mind reading the all that crazy BC stuff. It's kind of like trashy reality TV, strangely addictive... ;)

Regards,

Anthony

I'd be there with you in a "Northern" Forum!

When will people realise that the North is the largest region of Canada? A full 1/3 of the country is "North of 60".

Nevgar in Inuvik, NT

Geez..hate to be a bearer of bad news, but we didn't win the war of 1812. It has historically been referred to as "The War that Nobody Won" So we may have burned the US government buiding (it was called the White House AFTER the burning when it was painted to cover the scorching), but they also burned our parliament building. tit for tat and all that.

And as far as splitting Canada up...we have enough problems with East/West and French/English...who wants to create MORE controversy?

I can see no reason why the forum should be divided. It gets what, 5 new topics on a busy day? If the topic doesn't interest you, simply read another thread. When it gets to the point that you're clicking through 4 pages of the day's topics, then splitting the forum would make sense.

I'd rather have a moderately busy Canada forum with a few uninteresting threads (to me) then to have half a dozen near dead forums, and a couple trickles on the BC and Ontario forums.