How To Become A Admin?

hi all i have been geocaching for some time now just placed my 3rd cache

and i have been wanting to become a admin for my part of oregon ( the coastal part) since i know the Terrain and just want to help out the geo community and that we don't have a admin for this part of oregon its self

yet

and i have noted that some caches have been on the choping block ( the cache not being there any more) by other admins but nothing has been done

my plans are to go out and try to find thes caches see if they are infact gone and try to find them a new cacher to take them on as there own!

feel free to get a hold of me!

HAPPY GEOCACHING!!!

Hello,

1. The answer to your question has not changed since you wrote and asked about it. A formal version of that answer can be found in this post to the frequently asked questions thread that's pinned at the top of the "Getting Started" forum.

2. Your post demonstrates a misconception about what the volunteer cache reviewers do. We don't go out and personally investigate missing caches and then personally arrange for new owners. The current volunteers covering Oregon are doing nothing differently than their colleagues elsewhere.

well its always good to ask i allways say

AND NO I AM NOT TO DUMB

and it is that kind of posts and that kind of bashing

that keeps happening

i meen come on people its only a game!!

i'f seen some admins that only have 1 cache out

and how do any of you know that this is not my only hobbie!!

I'll bet if you view their actual player accounts instead of their admin accounts you'd see they can pretty much all boast hundreds (if not thousands) of finds and dozens of cache hides apiece.

To be an admin you'd need a LOT more experience, and I dare say a little bit more tolerance for disagreement than you've displayed thus far.

AND NO I AM NOT TO DUMB

No. You are not to dumb. Briansnat was, in fact, making a joke that you shouldn't be eager for the job. You also need a very thick skin - which I'm afraid you don't seem to have. So generally speaking you would not ask to become a reviewer. You normally do not ask to be one to become one.

Edited by Jeremy

Most reviewers have a "civilian" account. That's where you'd see their caching prowess in finds and hides. Their reviewer account is just that...a reviewer account, where they do their duly appointed (annointed?) reviewer grueling duties.

KA linked to a good reference for you to aspire to your Approver goals.

All other angst is just... angst.

One way that you can help (in the ways that you describe) is to check your local forum for a "rescue" thread.

Often, people hide geocaches and then give up the sport without retrieving their caches (for whatever reason they want or need to stop playing). These caches often quickly deteriorate in quality (both of swag/trade items and of container integrity) because nobody is specifically keeping care of them anymore.

In the New England forum (and probably a few of the others), there is an "Adoption and Clean-Up" thread for those geocaches whose owners are AWOL and completely unresponsive to the cache reviewers who have tried to contact them concerning their cache.

As you're familiar with your terrain, when one of these caches appears in your area, you could accept the challenge of retrieving and helping to verify that the cache should be archived, once you've located what's left of it and determined that it's not active on another caching website either (new logs that don't match dates on this site).

It's a way for you to give back but is outside of the normal game.

OK, we really need to stop the thread derailment.

The original poster is serious. As Keystone stated, he has asked before. My advice to the original poster would be to get out and find some caches and enjoy yourself. He has asked before about cache missions, but I think he should go out and just have fun with regular established caches.

and i have noted that some caches have been on the choping block ( the cache not being there any more) by other admins but nothing has been done

my plans are to go out and try to find thes caches see if they are infact gone and try to find them a new cacher to take them on as there own!

You can do all that without being an approver. Go visit caches. If they're there, log them as finds. If you can't find one, log in as a DNF. If nothing happens regarding the cache, for example, there are a string of DNFs, then enter an SBA (should be archived) request. That gets the approver's attention. They'll archive the cache and you can hide one in it's place.

You might consider offering up your localized knowledge to your area approver via email. They may consult you on difficult placements.

AND NO I AM NOT TO(add another O) DUMB

that keeps happening

You need to learn proper grammar though.

Don't mind the ribbing, Charles. A lot of volunteer reviewers have to put up with a whole buncha crap... take this thread and multiply the angst by, oh, say a billion, and you'll start to get an idea of the life (or lack thereof) for a reviewer. I too asked about adminning when I first started caching. Some people joked, some questioned what my motives were, and some told me to run. Run away. :unsure:

that keeps happening

yeah about that my key board is all messed up

some of the keys work (most of the time)

:unsure:

Admins are everywhere this year. I see topic after topic mentioning them. 

Well, he has done his homework via the forums, at least... :unsure:

My advice to the original poster would be to get out and find some caches and enjoy yourself. He has asked before about cache missions, but I think he should go out and just have fun with regular established caches.

Just trying to help the OP here... so what you are saying is that if he perhaps goes out and doubles his cache finds, he has a fighting chance of being selected? :)

Edited by Jeep_Dog

that keeps happening

yeah about that my key board is all messed up

some of the keys work (most of the time)

:)

:D That's understandable. :unsure:

AND NO I AM NOT TO DUMB

that keeps happening

I see you do, however, fault when it comes to spelling and grammar.

Where to start?

First sentance? Okay, chose one spelling of always/allways and stick with it. (Hint, you were right the first time) How about Your "I AM NOT TO DUMB" that has a mistake in it. That's like the pot calling the kettle black.

TO: prep.

In a direction toward so as to reach: went to the city.

Towards: turned to me.

Reaching as far as: The ocean water was clear all the way to the bottom.

To the extent or degree of: loved him to distraction.

With the resultant condition of: nursed her back to health.

Toward a given state: helping minority women to economic equality.

In contact with; against: their faces pressed to the windows.

In front of: stood face to face.

Used to indicate appropriation or possession: looked for the top to the jar.

Concerning; regarding: waiting for an answer to my letter.

In a particular relationship with: The brook runs parallel to the road.

As an accompaniment or a complement of: danced to the tune.

Composing; constituting: two cups to a pint.

In accord with: job responsibilities suited to her abilities.

As compared with: a book superior to his others.

Before: The time is ten to five.

Up till; until: worked from nine to five.

For the purpose of: went out to lunch.

In honor of: a toast to the queen.

Used before a verb to indicate the infinitive: I'd like to go.

Used alone when the infinitive is understood: Go if you want to.

Used to indicate the relationship of a verb with its complement: refer to a dictionary; refer me to a dictionary.

Used with a reflexive pronoun to indicate exclusivity or separateness: had the plane to ourselves.

adv.

In one direction; toward a person or thing: owls with feathers wrong end to.

Into a shut or closed position: pushed the door to.

Into a state of consciousness: The patient came to.

Into a state of action or attentiveness: sat down for lunch and fell to.

Nautical. Into the wind.

What you said should read: I am not too dumb.

posts should be singular.

Meen is not a real world. You want mean.

i'f - once again, not a word. I'm assuming you meant I've and not if. Not to mention that you obviously were never taught what makes a capital letter on a keyboard.

Your last line is a question, thus should not end with an exclamation point, and hobby is singular. Hobbies is plural. Chose one. Get it correct.

How do I know if this is your only 'hobbie' or not? Well, spelling obviously isn't anything you've taken up recently.

And all that aside, you want to be a reviewer, but you don't know a thing about the hobby. How about actually practicing it before you try to preach it? Four finds and three hides in three years? My cat could do better than that.

Hi Charles!! ;-) Welcome to Geocaching.com

um i have been here for sometime about two years

3 years this dec

happy geocaching!!

And you've only found 6 caches? Stop posting on the forums and get out and find some caches.

edit: oh, fly46 and I had a OBMB and I didn't even realize it 'til now. Fly just went into more detail.

Edited by Anonymous'
And all that aside, you want to be a reviewer, but you don't know a thing about the hobby.  How about actually practicing it before you try to preach it? Four finds and three hides in three years?  My cat could do better than that.

Fly46 - YOU ROCK! :lol: