Bcga

Curious George

Unfortunately I was not able to make the AGM. I understand that these forums are now to be the official communication tool for the BCGA....not sure how Geocaching.com feels about that.

Will the minutes and financial statements be posted here for all to see?

*shakes head*

You're just trying to stir up trouble.

The Minutes and Financial Statements can be posted at the BCGA website as a News item, as you know VERY well. Forums aren't required to relay that information. The BCGA website wasn't shut down, simply the forums.

I think those are pretty fair questions from someone (CG) who is not known to purposely stir up trouble.

For those that would rather discuss BCGA issues in a regional forum specifically dedicated to BCGA discussions, one has been setup here.

That website is pretty much where all the problems originate, since it's owned and operated by the person who causes the majority of the problems in this province, and he is one of the main reasons for the BCGA forums being shutdown in the first place.

If the intention of that link to an UNOFFICIAL BCGA forum is to take away from the efforts of the new BCGA directors ... that's a little underhanded. Perhaps you people should have just run for office? Oh right, it's so much easier to undermine from the sidelines.

No, that link you supplied will be nothing but rants and general spewage and conspiracy theories. Amusing for the inanity it will contain, but useful for nothing else.

I'm sure the Directors will get in touch with the Cache-tech and the OGA to get involved in the Parks Canada discussions. They were voted in by the members, thus have the trust of the members. They don't need to report to you-know-who (and his cronies) every single step of the way.

(If you didn't vote, and if you didn't give your proxy to someone you trust to vote in your stead, then you've really no cause to complain or question the directors. You opted to remain silent during the one process in which you could have made your voice heard.)

There is nothing underhanded going on here. I'm trying to get answers to our questions in the forum that I have been directed to. You are the one throwing accusations here.

Last I checked you were not even a member of the BCGA so please keep your personal opinions out of this and allow the thread to remain on topic. I'm simply looking for some information from the new board members.

(If you didn't vote, and if you didn't give your proxy to someone you trust to vote in your stead, then you've really no cause to complain or question the directors. You opted to remain silent during the one process in which you could have made your voice heard.)

Sorry, I missed the part where I was complaining about the new directors. In fact, I posted the following statement last night after post-AGM announcements:

I have no issue with the choice of any of the new directors.  I think closing the forums entirely is a bit shortsighted and possibly a bit of a knee jerk, but I can understand the reasoning behind it.  Besides, I didn't show up to vote or discuss the issues so I guess I can't really complain too much.

If you are asserting that anyone is trying to stir up trouble, judging from your recent posts I might suggest looking a little closer to home. You appear bent on taking every opportunity to hijack threads with the sole purpose of attacking one particular person who hasn't posted on this site for well over a year. Give it a rest, already.

Edited by Gorak
There is nothing underhanded going on here. I'm trying to get answers to our questions in the forum that I have been directed to. You are the one throwing accusations here.

Last I checked you were not even a member of the BCGA so please keep your personal opinions out of this and allow the thread to remain on topic. I'm simply looking for some information from the new board members.

Email them directly. Or send them a message via the gc.com system. You know all their gc.com usernames. It's not terribly difficult.

Email them directly. Or send them a message via the gc.com system. You know all their gc.com usernames. It's not terribly difficult.

Actually, CG's questions are of interest to all current BCGA members, including myself. I think asking the questions in a public forum is entirely appropriate and in accordance with the statement made in the BCGA announcement to "direct the discussion to the Geocaching.com Canada Forums".

If you are asserting that anyone is trying to stir up trouble, judging from your recent posts I might suggest looking a little closer to home. You appear bent on taking every opportunity to hijack threads with the sole purpose of attacking one particular person who hasn't posted on this site for well over a year. Give it a rest, already.

Oh, we're playing the "I'm so innocent" game, are we? Transparent.

I'm not attacking anyone. Simply stating the facts. Whether you-know-who can post here or not, he does have his official mouthpieces. Can you guess who they might be?

I'm just sick of seeing the BCGA attacked. And I certainly don't want it brought here. You have your little forum, where the hive mind gathers ... why can't you leave the annoying buzz over there?

No one has attacked the BCGA. I am a former Director, I let my name stand again for nomination (I believe I was the only one who made this known prior to the AGM), my proxy was exercised and present at the meeting.

I'm asking questions, and as Gorak stated, my questions are of interest to all the members of BCGA. Stop trying to take your personal fight up in this thread.

Many caching associations operate very well without forums. The BCGA website can still have news articles. The financials, minutes etc. are in the About BCGA section, not in the forums.

The directors still can communicate to members in read-only forums, and will have to work out a mechanism to solicit responses via PM or EMAIL. They can figure out how this can be accomplished.

Though I think having a BCGA 'Members' forum on a non BCGA site is misleading and a waste of time for those who might bother to post to it. Most likely it will be ignored. Knock yoursevles out if you want to post on it.

Will the minutes and financial statements be posted here for all to see?

Thanks for your questions CG. It makes sense to have the posting of the minutes and financial statements at the BCGA website as a News item. I currently do not have the minutes that were taken, but have a copy of the file in Excel format. This will be converted to a suitable format to post on the BCGA site once we figure out how to do it

:unsure:

As for the Parks Canada and BC Parks situation, it would be difficult to outline a "platform" since I am sure there are different opinions among the new board and we aren't a "slate". I will say that I believe that the proposed moratorium on new caches and the removal of all existing caches without consultation with geocachers is unfortunate. Our parks are our own. A more proactive solution is desireable. It would make sense that a longitudinal study is done to examine the impact (or lack of impact) there is on the environment around already existing caches. I do hope that we are included in any future discussions between Parks Canada as a regional interest. I think that locally, we have an opportunity to circumvent the same blanket policy from taking place here (I'm cautiously optimistic).

Thanks for your questions CG. It makes sense to have the posting of the minutes and financial statements at the BCGA website as a News item. I currently do not have the minutes that were taken, but have a copy of the file in Excel format. This will be converted to a suitable format to post on the BCGA site once we figure out how to do it

:unsure:

As for the Parks Canada and BC Parks situation, it would be difficult to outline a "platform" since I am sure there are different opinions among the new board and we aren't a "slate". I will say that I believe that the proposed moratorium on new caches and the removal of all existing caches without consultation with geocachers is unfortunate. Our parks are our own. A more proactive solution is desireable. It would make sense that a longitudinal study is done to examine the impact (or lack of impact) there is on the environment around already existing caches. I do hope that we are included in any future discussions between Parks Canada as a regional interest. I think that locally, we have an opportunity to circumvent the same blanket policy from taking place here (I'm cautiously optimistic).

Thanks Doc.....I share your thoughts. I hope that we're able to be involved in any discussion that takes place. If you need any assistance, don't hesitate to ask.

Hey everybody,

I too would like to respond to Curious George's questions. I think it is fair that people know how I feel about the issues.

I believe that Parks (either provincial or federal) are run for the people and that geocaching should be allowed in parks. I am prepared to be involved with talks and park officials. I hope that we can be involved with future discussions and decisions. What has happend so far and how it was handled by parks is unfortunate. I personally signed the Parks Canada Petition. I plan (personally) to write my MLA about the problem too.

Provincially, I am more hopeful. I feel as DocMagoo does....cautiously optimistic.

I also feel it is very important to host events like the novice night and CITO events. With upcoming land use issues, the more community service we are involved in, the more credibility we will earn as a responsible, family orientated community.

I love caching and I am involved with the BCGA because of my love for geocaching. I hope to positively affect the BCGA and further this great activity in our province for all geocachers.

Edited to add info.

Edited by Chillibusher

As posted in the Parks Canada pinned thread.

Congratulations to 'The Wet Coast Explorers' for being chosen as President of the BCGA.

Feel free to contacts me directly if you would like to discuss Parks Canada or the Ontario Parks policy that we heard was the same policy that British Columbia Parks was going to implent.

8) The Blue Quasar

It's getting close to membership renewal time....Will the new BCGA executive be giving consideration to family memberships? I'm guessing the the current $1 per month covers only one of us who cache under the "jrav" name.

It's getting close to membership renewal time....Will the new BCGA executive be giving consideration to family memberships?  I'm guessing the the current $1 per month covers only one of us who cache under the "jrav" name.

We're meeting next Friday (June 10th) evening. I'll bring this up.

Edited to fix the date - I was out by a week.

Edited by The Wet Coast Explorers

So ... yes ... I'm still not a member of the BCGA ... but I am determining if I should be ... where is the current Board going to take the organization.

The BCGA just recently had a meeting, I'm curious what the various topics of discussion were. Obviously GEOCOINS was a fairly large topic, since it's now a topic of discussion here on the gc.com forums.

What about possible events? If so, what sort of locations were discussed? (May I throw in a vote for Cypress Provincial Park.) What sort of date and time frame? Where can we volunteer to sign-up?

Anything else of interest for the BCGA member (or prospective member)? What about joining forces with the OGA about Parks Canada? Has a dialogue opened there? What about BC Provincial Parks?

That's it. I'm sure the entire Board has wonderful ideas and intentions for the BCGA. I'm just deciding whether I have any interest in those plans, thus willing to invest in a membership. I hope you understand my delay in paying for a membership, it's just that at the moment there's no real incentive to purchase a membership, the BCGA is not currently offering anything substantive. I'm just waiting and seeing what ideas are coming down the pipeline.

DBC.

PS (In the future, perhaps only post BCGA updates to these forums, such as the GEOCOINS thing, after you've updated the BCGA website with the information. Looks kind of strange that the website isn't being used for the purpose it's supposed to be used.)

Edited by dogbreathcanada
The BCGA just recently had a meeting, I'm curious what the various topics of discussion were. Obviously GEOCOINS was a fairly large topic, since it's now a topic of discussion here on the gc.com forums.

We did meet last night. You would actually be surprised to learn that geocoins wasn't as *big* as a topic as you think it was. It was the last topic to be discussed in an otherwise full agenda and maybe took up 5 min. maximum. The result of the discussion was to perhaps post it on forums at GC.com to see what interest there is and table the discussion for next meeting based on the feedback.

PS (In the future, perhaps only post BCGA updates to these forums, such as the GEOCOINS thing, after you've updated the BCGA website with the information. Looks kind of strange that the website isn't being used for the purpose it's supposed to be used.)

Seriously now, the thread about geocoins was to see what kind of interest there is. It was the only item posted to this website. But thanks for the friendly reminder. You know, I'll wear the blame for this one squarely on my shoulders as the secretary of the association and being the one responsible for keeping the minutes of the meeting, which adjourned at 10:15pm, I might add. So, between the time of the posting of the thread about geocoins and adjournment of last night, it maybe was give or take 12 hours. Then I do have other things to attend to like my daughters' yearend dance recitals. But you'll be happy that I've now completed the minutes and forwarded them to the website manager.....from that a summary of our meeting last night could be posted on the BCGA website....sheesh....

What about possible events? If so, what sort of locations were discussed? (May I throw in a vote for Cypress Provincial Park.) What sort of date and time frame? Where can we volunteer to sign-up?

Anything else of interest for the BCGA member (or prospective member)? What about joining forces with the OGA about Parks Canada? Has a dialogue opened there? What about BC Provincial Parks?

Discussions were had regarding both. Now that the minutes are done, and in less than 24 hours, I think that I'll adhere to your 'sage advice' and let any info come from the BCGA website....

Just because a certain meeting issue has been brought up here, doesn't mean that that was all that was discussed at the meeting. I am sure lots of what is discussed in the BCGA executive meetings will not be posted in the forums or BCGA site. If you wanted to know all that goes on in those meetings you should have asked to be nominated as an executive.

I attended the BCGA AGM, and there was more discussed there then just Voting on the new executives.

So ... yes ... I'm still not a member of the BCGA ... but I am determining if I should be ... where is the current Board going to take the organization.

That's it. I'm sure the entire Board has wonderful ideas and intentions for the BCGA. I'm just deciding whether I have any interest in those plans, thus willing to invest in a membership. I hope you understand my delay in paying for a membership, it's just that at the moment there's no real incentive to purchase a membership, the BCGA is not currently offering anything substantive. I'm just waiting and seeing what ideas are coming down the pipeline.

DBC.

I think your looking at this from the wrong direction. Given that you would like to see the BCGA concentrate on working with OGA to establish a dialogue with Parks Canada, you should be joining the BCGA to support those efforts. In other words, you should be thinking about what you can do to help the BCGA instead of demanding to know what they will do for you if you deem them worthy of joining.

Just because a certain meeting issue has been brought up here, doesn't mean that that was all that was discussed at the meeting. I am sure lots of what is discussed in the BCGA executive meetings will not be posted in the forums or BCGA site. If you wanted to know all that goes on in those meetings you should have asked to be nominated as an executive.

I attended the BCGA AGM, and there was more discussed there then just Voting on the new executives.

I don't need an exact play-by-play of any meeting. I'm just curious what the direction of the association is going to be for the next year. Is most of their time this summer going to be invested in GEOCOINS (if there's enough interest in them), or are their other avenues they're heading with the organization?

DBC.

I think your looking at this from the wrong direction. Given that you would like to see the BCGA concentrate on working with OGA to establish a dialogue with Parks Canada, you should be joining the BCGA to support those efforts. In other words, you should be thinking about what you can do to help the BCGA instead of demanding to know what they will do for you if you deem them worthy of joining.

I don't really care if the BCGA is involved with the discussions or not. I simply added it as a general point of interest (seems you and a number of others are intently interested.) My opinion is that the OGA is doing well enough representing Canadian geocachers on the issue as it is. (Of course, it couldn't hurt to have other like-minded organizations represent their specific regions.)

Now that an email address for contacting Parks Canada is available, I've already sent my opinions on the matter to them. And I'm in the process of collating a bunch of local stats (urban vs. park caches), with complete definitions of geocaching, contacts, etc. to be sent off to my MP and MLA.

Hot diggedy dog!!

I finally received my laminated membership card in the BCGA - the one I've been asking for for close to a year and a half. Unfortunately I'm unable to reference the threads in which I made my requests since out of a billion pages the one I need is now gone bye-bye.

Oh well! :ph34r:

I don't really care if the BCGA is involved with the discussions or not. I simply added it as a general point of interest (seems you and a number of others are intently interested.) My opinion is that the OGA is doing well enough representing Canadian geocachers on the issue as it is. (Of course, it couldn't hurt to have other like-minded organizations represent their specific regions.)

Now that an email address for contacting Parks Canada is available, I've already sent my opinions on the matter to them. And I'm in the process of collating a bunch of local stats (urban vs. park caches), with complete definitions of geocaching, contacts, etc. to be sent off to my MP and MLA.

We have no desire to be the group 'representing Canadian geocachers' alone. We (OGA) have a vested interest in the entire Parks Canada discussion as it affects us. But since it also affect BC and all the other provinces and territories and foreign visitors to Canada, we would certainly want to work in tandem with BCGA.

So while it is nice of you "DogsbreathCanada" to say that OGA is doing well enough, we do not want to do it alone. We would prefer that an open line of communication between BCGA and OGA existed and we could keep each other informed of things that are said and developed.

We have some plans in the developement stage, and when we are ready to move forward, should BCGA like a 'heads-up' we would certainly value their input.

OGA - Admin