New Cache Idea

I'm a Juvenile Officer and spend a ton of time at our local schools during the year and now that we are at the end of this year...heres' my cache idea.

A "Lost and Found" cache. Every school has a box of items that range from rings, sunglasses, toys, ect.

Whatever isn't claimed on the last day of school is going in an ammo box. I'll pick out the junk stuff. In the last newsletter to go out to the parents I would like to explain geocaching and then give the coordinates. :unsure:

Interesting idea. I'm assuming you mean the smaller items that get left. At my schools, we usually save the lost-n-found clothing for donation to our local charities. Jackets, especially get left, and these are often the most appreciated for donation.

I would be very careful as to what goes in the cache - making sure that items that a parent might really want to claim are kept at least for a little longer.

Interesting idea. I'm assuming you mean the smaller items that get left. At my schools, we usually save the lost-n-found clothing for donation to our local charities. Jackets, especially get left, and these are often the most appreciated for donation.

I would be very careful as to what goes in the cache - making sure that items that a parent might really want to claim are kept at least for a little longer.

Yes, the clothes get donated. As far as the other items, parents are asked to check the lost and found each time an information letter is sent home which is usually weekly. The school's policy is....last day of school the items are tossed.

Thanks for asking. :unsure:

I second that. I'm not too sure I would appreciate a letter from my kid's school saying that whatever stuff he forgot at school is now hidden in a box in the forest for me to find.

At least you have to be very careful with how you word your letter. You could potentially anger quite a few people.

I second that. I'm not too sure I would appreciate a letter from my kid's school saying that whatever stuff he forgot at school is now hidden in a box in the forest for me to find.

At least you have to be very careful with how you word your letter. You could potentially anger quite a few people.

I think I need to clarify this. These are items that have been in the lost and found box for most if not all the school year. We're not talking about the Hope Diamond or gold bars here. If anything of value is found by the custodians, teachers, or whoever, all attempts are made to find the owner. I thought an article on geocaching would be appropiate as another fun family summer activity and have this cache listed as one to find. :unsure:

I for one...think this is a fantastic idea!

You could also state on the cache page that this will be new yearly happening - that a new cache will be up & running about a week after school ends. You could even have it be a lasting cache where everyone could trade items for something to use when school resumes.

What a clever idea. Do not let the neigh-sayers get you down. There seems to always be those who never look at a new idea with anything than negativity.

Happy caching!

Shirley~

I like it. Since the school regularly sends out letters saying to check lost and found, by the end of the school year they've had ample chance to come look.

Maybe find some way to make it a puzzle cache with the clues relating to the school somehow (like school history or such), so that there's an extra educational componant, and that lowers the random muggling factor.

I'd give the cache a week before it got muggled. (or is it 'pirated'?  whatever.)

Why would this cache be any different as far as muggles go? Do we stop promoting the hobby now?

I think your idea increases the potential of the cache being muggled for the following reason:

Your suggestion was to advertise the cache in the newsletter. This identifies it to every student in the school. Is every student in the school responsible? Probably not. Do any of the kids have personal issues with you? Probably.

Like most schools, there are probably some little heathens that would love to go find the cache and remove/destroy it. Your suggestion could also expose all other area caches to these same 'bad' kids and thier older delinquent siblings.

I'd give the cache a week before it got muggled. (or is it 'pirated'?  whatever.)

Why would this cache be any different as far as muggles go? Do we stop promoting the hobby now?

I think your idea increases the potential of the cache being muggled for the following reason:

Your suggestion was to advertise the cache in the newsletter. This identifies it to every student in the school. Is every student in the school responsible? Probably not. Do any of the kids have personal issues with you? Probably.

Like most schools, there are probably some little heathens that would love to go find the cache and remove/destroy it. Your suggestion could also expose all other area caches to these same 'bad' kids and thier older delinquent siblings.

:unsure:

It's been a long time since I was in school, but back then, very few of the heathens had GPSrs.

Which is why I suggested some sort of puzzle to find the coordinates. That should help cut down on the random destruction factor.