Is it me or my GPS?

Packsaddle

I need help. My GPS, a Magellan 2000, does fine locating the spot I’m on. I tested this by driving out a local lane and takng readings at identifiable spots, bridges cross-roads etc., and then checking the results on a USGS quad sheet. (a six inch plastic cm. ruler measures exactly -results divided in half - the North Amercan 1927 datum on a 1: 50,000 scale map - County map series if your state has them). Dispite this when I on GO TO I get a real run-around when the distance is O.O, the arrow and the target are all over the place. Now this GPS gives the DD.DDDD only as DD.DDD, but I don’t think that should be off enough to cause much of a problem.

Is this everyones problem, or is it just me, or is it my maquina? Any help will be appreciated.

If the distance to a point is very small, less than 10 ft, the arrow is going to jump around alot. As a practical guide, GPS is only accurate to 20-30 ft. When you are close to your goal, that error can be on any side of the point. If the GPS thinks it is a little west of the point, the arrow will point east. If it thinks it is south of the point, the arrow will point north. And so on and so forth. This all happens while the GPS is sitting still in the same place. The GPS gets "loose bearings." There is nothing you can do about it. That's why geocaching is a challenge.

rdw

Most everyone hasn't used a Magellan GPS 2000 and doesn't truely understand your problem. The GPS 2000 was made in 1996 and has 1 less digit of acuracy than the newer models. Not only that but you can actually stand in 1 place and randomly the gps might just start to changes digits but up to 3 seconds longitude or latitude. THATS ALOT! This doesn't happen alot but on a rare occasion this will happen. This happended to me TODAY! Yes I have a GPS 2000 and have EXACTLY the same problems as you. My answer is just today I just spent $110 on a new GPS system (one that plugs into my springboard slot of my Handspring Visor Delux PDA)... so get a newer GPS... A better one is needed for Geo Caching!

I was borrowed a GPS unit from a family member to start geocaching and got hooked quick, the problem was i searched for some caches that seemed impossible to find with the unit I was using (Magellan ColorTrak). I waited to get my Magellan Meridian Platinum, and then went back to the same caches and found them fairly quickly. The distance from the actual cache to where the ColorTrak had me searching was about the length of a football field, makes finding a well hidden cache a little more dificult.

Later,

TikimanHSA (Hunter)