Explorist 500 Tracks

This looks like an oversight in the firmware design to me. On my 500, it looks to me that if I turn tracking off, but power the GPSr off and back on again, the tracking is turned back on. It appears that auto detailed is the default setting.

I did a hike yesterday, and turned off tracking at the end so driving the car wouldn't add unwanted track points to the log. I noticed that I was seeing my track displayed on the map screen. A little observation led to the conclusion that the 500 keeps turning tracklog on at bootup. I am now wondering if the track I created yesterday was all at the .01 mi. detail level I had originally set, or if it went to auto detail when I turned off the GPSr at lunch and turned it back on again when we resumed the walk.

Can anyone else confirm or disconfirm this on their unit?

embra...I have noticed the same thing w/ my eX200. Also, if I turn off tracking, then set a GoTo, tracking is turned back on.

I usually don't need a track, although maybe the default option is the safest one, so that if a person had turned it off then went hiking into back country without remembering to turn it back on, it might save his/her butt.

I've seen the same thing on my ex600 and I believe that whenever you power up you get the default track mode of auto detailedweather you want it or not.

Another thing I've noticed is that after you create a route if you use the option to reverse the route and then activate it all is well until you power cycle. After power up the route is reactivated as it should be but the POI's are un-reversed.

I wonder if the GPS is really doing anything when you power down and get the message "saving data please wait".

Mike

I guess the moral here (for those of us with SD cards) is to save the track to SD memory when it is "complete" so we've got a snapshot of what we want.

I can see some logic to the argument that its a feature, not a bug, that helps assure there is a track available for backtracking, etc. It may be better to have track info you don't want than to not have track info you do want because you forgot to turn it back on.

I guess the moral here (for those of us with SD cards) is to save the track to SD memory when it is "complete" so we've got a snapshot of what we want.

There's no reason why you couldn't save the track to internal memory if you don't have an SD card installed.

--Marky

I've seen the same thing on my ex600 and I believe that whenever you power up you get the default track mode of auto detailedweather you want it or not.

Another thing I've noticed is that after you create a route if you use the option to reverse the route and then activate it all is well until you power cycle. After power up the route is reactivated as it should be but the POI's are un-reversed.

I wonder if the GPS is really doing anything when you power down and get the message "saving data please wait".

Mike

I had the same problem, I thought it was just a temporary fluke but it never went away. forgot about that happening unitl now.

embra it happens to me too. Its pretty annoying, you pretty much have to save the track right away if thats what you want to do. Also setting the map to display "track up" will restart logging. I don't know why track logging must be on for the map to orient itself on the screen but it is annoying.

Oh well another support email to magellan, fifth this week

I noticed on my eXplorist 500 that when you have auto detailed on, then you lose the menu item stop logging As well, when I want to save a track (while auto detailed is on) the GPSr, 95% of the time it does not move to the next screen, location to save file, rather it returns to the track menu instantly as if it had saved the track. When I constantly repeat the save request, eventually it offers me the option to choose a track name and location. If there are not enough track points the manual says it will warn you and cancel the save. The manual also does not mention anything under the changing the track recording intervals section.

Note: Magellen has posted new support documents on their website.