Layered Hints?

I've seen the topic on useless hints. The opposite end of that spectrum would be hints that told you exactly where to search when all you wanted was a tiny little hint.

Is it possible to have something in between? I didn't know exactly how to phrase it in the title, so I just came up with the term "layered hints." What I'm talking about is a series of encryptions. Would it be possible to have, for example, three hints with each hint being more revealing? People could decrypt one hint at a time. If they couldn't find it after reading the first hint they could decrypt the second hint, etc.

Has this been discussed before? Is it even possible on the current board?

You can add brackets around text in the hint field. The text in those brackets will not be encrypted. Add some space between them. For example, you could put:

[hint 1] look low

[hint 2] rock me baby

[hint 3, dead give away] container is a fake rock

Interesting thought.....

Off the top of my head I can see a few problems:

• Many cachers wouldn't want to leave anything beyond a simple hint
  • might actually encourage the problem you are reffering to
  • many would skip right to the 3rd level
  • would it mandatory or an option??

edit: spelling

Edited by StarBrand
As soon as you decrypt the first hint, the others also become decrypted. Is that the only way to do it--leave a bunch of space between the hints?

I suppose you could always manually decrypt the hints one at a time yourself. As I see it, the functionality for "layered" hints already exists--as explained by Joefrog.

I often prefer not to include any sort of hint or only a slight nudge in the right direction. A built-in system for incrementally easier hints wouldn't encourage me to divulge more information than I already choose to.

Yes, but that's still not the same. As soon as you decrypt the first hint, the others also become decrypted. Is that the only way to do it--leave a bunch of space between the hints?

Then decrypt each "layered hint" manually, instead of clicking on the "decrypt" link.

I don't think that you can put in lots of blank lines in the encrypted hints field.

Premium members who are "paperless cachers" have a similar challenge with pocket queries and third-party software. It's just one click to get to the decrypted hint. It is very tempting to peek! There is no way to "layer" those at all, unless you have the discipline to stop reading.

Navicache uses a system like that and I've never used it. To be fair I've got one hint in me if I provide one and it's the hint you are going to get. I've never once felt the urge to provide a layered hint.

Any system needs people to provide the layers in order to have a functional system for the finder.

For the rare occasion that you do want a layerd system that cache owner could come up wiht something I have no doubts.

Yes, but that's still not the same. As soon as you decrypt the first hint, the others also become decrypted. Is that the only way to do it--leave a bunch of space between the hints?

How would that happen? Unless you're decrypting ahead of time before printing your page.

I get a poetic feeling when I'm creating a jewel in the woods and will put a wee bit of rhyme to give some reason for the quest. And it goes like this.

After you have solved the menu,

sight down the bore to see where you will go.

Once you have parked, follow the old road.

Soon you will find a fork in the trail,

ignore the arrow and think,

would Tahosa give you a nature walk

or a uphill run.

Swing to the left and up we go,

Walk to the high sign and swing to the right.

Skirt the deadfall and as you cross the draw,

the appetizer will be low and to the right.

Return to the high sign and follow the path,

even though the arrow says go up, up, ignore it.

Swing on by till it switches again,

the approach to the salad will be from the East.

Return to the trail, and search for the Yucca.

Soon you will pass the Sage, who is not old or wise.

When it starts to level out swing to the right,

And get ready to enjoy your meal.

Yes, but that's still not the same.  As soon as you decrypt the first hint, the others also become decrypted.  Is that the only way to do it--leave a bunch of space between the hints?

How would that happen? Unless you're decrypting ahead of time before printing your page.

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. I'm talking about just hitting decrypt on the web page rather than decrypting by hand in the field.

I remember one cache that had two layers of hints: after decrypting, the first hint line was straightforward readable text, and the second line was written backwards with no spaces between words. Still readable, but it took a conscious effort:

first hint looked like this

secapsonhtiwsdrawkcabsawtnihdnoces

That would work, that or have a key in the decrypted text, instead of "A" = "N" you could put a little note in the hint for the second layer saying that "A" equals whatever you want it too. Each letter would then be offset. They then would have to decrypt the second hint manually.

I for one, don't look at the hint unless I absolutely can not find the cache at all. So I want them to be pretty exact.

Yes, but that's still not the same.  As soon as you decrypt the first hint, the others also become decrypted.  Is that the only way to do it--leave a bunch of space between the hints?

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. I'm talking about just hitting decrypt on the web page rather than decrypting by hand in the field.

Simple solution. Don't do it. Decrypt in the field the way its meant to be.

Simple solution. Don't do it. Decrypt in the field the way its meant to be.

I didn't realize that's how the good lord intended hints to be used. Thanks for the information.

Actually I was more concerned with leaving hints for others who are seeking caches that I have hidden.