Player Watch

jtd18801

Jeremy has mentioned the possibility of creating "buddy lists" where you would receive an email notification when someone on your list logs a cache.

Due to privacy concerns, both parties would have to consent to the arrangement and either one could terminate it.

Getting into this late, as usual. IMHO, this is a great idea. I'd love to watch what my Dad is up to (avid cacher, and retired so he has tons of time), and some of my other friends. The "both parties must agree" is pretty obviously needed.

Cheers,

Phil

Being the lazy person that I am I will just post without searching... how come you can look up another person's FINDS but not their DNFs? Is this, too, a privacy thing? Or is it because people would look up someone's DNFs and say "You couldn't find THAT cache, you stink." ?

/just curious

I imagine that if Jeremy ever implements a buddy list feaure, you would get an email anytime someone on your buddy list posts a log whether it be a find, dnf or note. Im just guessing at the moment.

I imagine that if Jeremy ever implements a buddy list feaure, you would get an email anytime someone on your buddy list posts a log whether it be a find, dnf or note. Im just guessing at the moment.

Correct. You would get an email for every log type.

In the days of old when we had stats, it was very easy to look at caching activity in your area, or look at what your friends were up to. Not quite like a buddy list but it was handy. Especially to see who newbies who had found geocaching. Since they tend to do all the caches that I have already done some time ago, they can have a lot of finds before I ever cross their tracks. The stats site made it so I could see who's new and check out a few logs and see if they were the "TNLN" type or told interesting stories worth the read.

Being the lazy person that I am I will just post without searching... how come you can look up another person's FINDS but not their DNFs?

One cacher logged a DNF on one of the caches on my watchlist. He mentioned something along the lines that it was a bad caching day for him and to see his other posts. I wanted to see how icky his day was and what happened at other caches. I went to his profile and viewed all cache finds, not realizing that it wouldn't show DNFs. Being able to see another's DNFs would allow fellow cachers to follow one's geocaching trip for the day, good (found) or bad (not found).