New To The Game, Building My First Caches

badinfluence

I figured I'd make a few caches as well this week before I go out and play. Try to find one, leave one somewhere, etc.

Man, first things first - go to a discout outlet buying stuff to leave in the cache turns heads quick. "ummm..... no, it's not going to be used for food - we're going to put this stuff in it and leave it in the woods" - talk about confusion!!! :P

I figured I'd go ahead and get a little 1qt container, freezer bag and load it up with pencils, pencil sharpener, logbook - of course the main ingredients.

Then I found some stuff to throw in like deck of NASCAR playing cards, small American flag, stickers, etc.

Questions - and I'm sure these can be common - but since I just got back from buyng a bunch of things for a few caches......

How much would you put on a trade item to leave in a cache? 2 bucks or so tops? Many of the items I found were an easy $1.00.

How far apart would you leave your caches - My first is a mini-park with a pond. Was thinking of naming them "lunch break 1" and "lunch break 2" - since.... well.... you can gather when I'm going to leave them behind.

Any other tips you'd offer that I may have left out?

I seem to find this an interesting way to get my exercise, play ham radio and get my hiking in as well!!!

Jonathan

Hi and welcome to geocaching. I am one of the volunteers who reviews new cache submissions.

Your question on how far apart to place your geocaches can be answered by the minimum "Cache Saturation" guideline. The answer is that caches need to be at least 528 feet (.1 miles) apart, absent special circumstances. And, don't place two caches 550 feet apart "just because you can." Select spots that are independently worthy of having a cache for people to visit. Otherwise, consider creating a multicache.

You should read the Geocache Listing Requirements/Guidelines documents thoroughly before going out to hide your first cache.

Good luck and have fun!

I would suggest going and finding a few caches before placing any. This will give you a good idea of places to hide, items to stock it with, rating for dificulty, etc.

As for how much to spend on a cache, that would be up to you. I would stock it with things that people might actually want or use. I would also place it in a place that might be of some interest to people. A small park is a great place as I have found a few parks close to me that I did not know existed until I went searching for a cache.

As for how far apart, Unless you are doing a multi cache, I personally would not leave them closer than a mile. Also, make sure you are not placing it too close to other caches. If it is too close to another, the approver may ask you to find a new location. Try to avoid places that are over saturated. You might get more people visiting your cache, but you are not showing them anything new. I also think you should pick places you are fimiliar with.

But, what do I really know. I only hid 1 cache, only found 34, but found my first cache back in 03/2001 :P

How much would you put on a trade item to leave in a cache? 2 bucks or so tops? Many of the items I found were an easy $1.00.

I place about 5-10 items (depending on the size of the cache) worth about $1-$5 to start my caches. The majority of the items are around $2.

How far apart would you leave your caches - My first is a mini-park with a pond. Was thinking of naming them "lunch break 1" and "lunch break 2" - since.... well.... you can gather when I'm going to leave them behind.

At least a 20 minute walk between the two would be nice. See KA's note for the minimum.

Any other tips you'd offer that I may have left out?

1. Use a quality waterproof container. Ammo boxes, Rubbermaid Seal n Savers (w/ blue rim on lid), Lock n Locks, widemouth Nalgene jars, etc... are good choices. Cheap dollar store plastic containers and even expensive Tupperware and Rubbermaid Serve N Savers (white lid) leak.

2. Use a container that is appropriate for the area. Use smaller, well camoflaged containers in higher traffic areas. Larger containers off the beaten path.

3. Clearly mark the outside of your container as a geocache and put your contact info on it. Include the "geocaching letter" from this website, or something similar.

4. Place your cache someplace that others would enjoy. Forget garbage dumps, litter piles, homeless camps and other unappealing places.

5. Get a decent logbook. A $1 spiral bound notepad is fine (the "marble" glue bound pads fall apart eventually). Don't just tear a few strips from a notebook and staple them together. Put it in its own Ziploc in case someone doesn't close the container correctly, or an animal gets at it. All most geocachers really want is a dry logbook. Include a pencil. I break them in half and sharpen at both ends.

6. Hide your cache well enough that non geocachers won't find it accidently, but obvious enough that geocachers will find it with reasonable ease (this will cut down on impact to the area). Try to place it where searchers will not be observed by others (this will cut down on theft).

And most important:

7. Maintain your cache. You don't have to visit it often, but at least respond promptly to reported problems. If you lose interest, please remove it.

Edited by briansnat

If your intent is to just leave them 'somewhere', please wait until you find somewhere that is worth going to.

There are thousands upon thousands of caches that have been placed 'somewhere', but very few placed somewhere worth going or somewhere memorable.

Any areas around you that nobody but the locals knows about? Perhaps some city/county/state owned piece of land that isn't a labeled park?

That's exactly why I'm setting up a few on my lunch break.

We have a couple of tiny parks, quiet, little pond and such that if you didn't knew were there - you would've missed 'em.

I've seen some caches,just never logged onto the site and all.

But now I'm here and it's official!

Thanx for the info all,

Jonathan