Bushwhacking Gear?

ChicagoCanineCrew

Hello!

Just wondering if any "seasoned" cachers can give me an idea on what is "proper" bushwhacking gear/clothes? Normally I just kind of wing it with jeans and a long-sleeved shirt but I'm curious if there is something better or any gear commonly used. I'm going to a camp up in Michigan where there are a bunch of caches hidden and I think it would be nice to be a little better prepared!

Thanks.

Rain pants, rain jacket with a hood, gaiters, and a hat, preferably with a wide brim to keep the rain out of your eyes. Baseball hat can be worn under the hood, but I prefer a canvas Aussie "slouch" hat worn on top. And don't forget to Snow-Seal your boots! Take it from a Washingtonian, it's wet out there.

Jeans are a bad idea because they tend to catch on thorns, and cotton absorbs water. Hiking in wet jeans sucks. If you do a lot of bushwacking, invest in a pair of real hiking pants -- something with a tight weave, and cargo pockets that zipper or velcro shut so that things like car keys won't fall out as you crawl over a fallen tree.

I always wear a hat of some sort, and when I'm expecting a bushwack, I carry work gloves for pushing my way through thorns, vines, etc.

Good boots are a must, but boot recommendations is a whole separate thread. I wear Gore-Tex boots so that I can slosh through puddles and swampy areas, cross streams, scale muddy hills, etc., without my feet getting wet.

A hiking staff or trekking poles are helpful for pushing aside branches, clearing spider webs, etc., as well as for their intended purpose.

Things that I do *not* carry include a machete, a flamethrower, napalm, etc. My first goal is to avoid bushwacking through intelligent navigation. When bushwacking is the best available option, my goal then is to minimize my impact on the environment. Picking the path of least resistance in an area full of boulders, thorns and heavy undergrowth is part of the challenge, and why I enjoy a good bushwack.

I usually just wear what ever I happen to be wearing when I go out the door. :P

If it is going to be an extended day of caching I'll wear an older pair of jeans rather than my newer ones, but otherwise, if I'm wearing shorts and don't find out until its too late that some bushwhacking is involved, I'll just jump right in and hope there isn't any poison ivy/oak in there. :huh:

I'm with Perrin. I wear whatever I am wearing. Hopefully, this won't be a suit, but its happened. Obviously, if I'm not dressed for the treks conditions, I'll abort. Chest deep in water (again, its happened) is not the time to be wearing a five hundred dollar suit.

Generally, if I leave the house with the intention of caching, I'll wear a pair of hiking shorts and a golf shirt. I try to keep a duffle full of clean clothes (and a towel) in the jeep just in case.

I always wear a hat and I have a hiking stick because this is snake country here.

I just bought some "desert gaiters" at REI because the foxtails are really, really bad this year.

Convertible pants that double as both shorts or long pants are very handy. I got one pair at a Thrift Store for a bargain price. :P

I also wear good boots, or my Chaco sandals, depending on the terrain.

Long pants, preferrably a pair of nylon hiking pants. Jeans aren't a good idea. They get wet and stay wet. My shirt depends on the weather. If its cooler, a thin polar fleece shirt. If warmer a Coolmax shirt.

A trekking pole is good because you can fold it up and put it in your pack when you get in really dense growth and if its not too dense it can clear spider webes and branches out of your way. Good waterproof hiking boots are also important.

Also, because of the likelyhood of ticks in some areas, I treat my clothing with a permethin based insect repellent and my skin with a DEET based repellent.

Also, I make sure I have trail maps, a good compass and plenty of water and food in my pack. A survival whistle is also good have along. I have one that is really, really loud.

Edited by briansnat

Briansnat offers some really good advice, as does The Leprechauns, particularly about bushwhacking only when necessary.

Since you're a fellow Chicago area cacher, I figured I'd chime in with my two cents.

I usually wear a pair of convertible pants, mine are made by Columbia and I wish I'd have bought two pair when I got these. The legs zip off so they're pants and shorts, they're also windproof and waterproof (I wear them when backpacking or tripping in the Boundary Waters). I typically wear a short-sleeved shirt and always a hat. Oh... and my trusty Salomon hikers.

I've yet to bring one of my trekking poles with me, but I plan to in the near future, not just for hiking, but for poking around in places I don't really want to put my hand in.

For caching up in Michigan, I'd just make sure I have layers. Possibly a long sleeved shirt in my pack if the temp drops, and I'd have a rain jacket with me.

My pack is a Camelbak, so I've got water with me at all times, some food, a compass, a map if I'm in an unfamiliar place and I too have a "really, really loud" survival whistle.

In addition, when my 4-year-old goes caching with me he has a whistle with him at all times and knows to blow it if he can't see daddy. I also carry his water bottle and some stuff just for him.

How come none of you seem to be concerned about snake bites? I have a bit of a snake phobia but I was nearly bitten by two snakes while out caching. Two doesn't sound like a lot but considering I live and cache in the urban jungle near Los Angeles and I just started last January...

I don't bushwhack anymore but if I did, I'd be packing a snake bite kit :(

Edited by diverhank

OK how about using something like usaphotomaps before you start out,so you can see any trails that might lead you to the cache.

Also the latest thing about snakebites, is not to use snakebite kits, get the bitten person to medical aid as soon as possible, and if its you try and stay calm.

Few snakes to be worried about here in ILL  :(

We have them in NJ. Rattlesnakes seem to be making a big comeback here. Copperheads too. When I'm bushwacking, every stick looks like a snake to me. Its one reason I like the trekking poles. They go first.

Hmmm... doing a little research tonight I noticed Illinois has four species of venomous snakes, even all the way up here in Northern IL. Apparently the eastern massasauga rattlesnake is common around here.

~mental note, be sure to stash at least one trekking pole in the caching back pack~

Generally the most important things for me while caching here in Queensland, Australia are good boots and a wide brimmed hat. goretex isn’t always all its cracked up to be so don’t just go on the assumption that any goretex shoes will do.

Obviously there’s a lot more that you need to think about but the above items are mostly overlooked by cachers here in my opinion.

As for snakes, well here in Australia theres nothing much you can do, gaiters may help a little but thats the best you could hope for.

Edited by Lt. Sniper

TICK REPELLENT TICK REPELLENT TICK REPELLENT TICK REPELLENT TICK REPELLENT TICK REPELLENT TICK REPELLENT TICK REPELLENT TICK REPELLENT TICK REPELLENT TICK REPELLENT TICK REPELLENT TICK REPELLENT TICK REPELLENT TICK REPELLENT TICK REPELLENT TICK REPELLENT TICK REPELLENT TICK REPELLENT TICK REPELLENT TICK REPELLENT TICK REPELLENT TICK REPELLENT TICK REPELLENT TICK REPELLENT TICK REPELLENT TICK REPELLENT TICK REPELLENT TICK REPELLENT TICK REPELLENT TICK REPELLENT TICK REPELLENT

Can't stress it enough..........Lyme Disease is very scary........

A new suit of skin for when you return home all scratched up, becuse you wore shorts out caching. Start with a nice giant "geocaching" size tube of neosporin for scrapes and scratches; you may desire not to wear sunglasses so you can see the different shades of ground matter-AKA: SNAKES- that you wil be walking upon.

I usually wear jeans. I'm a fair weather cacher, if it's rainy or crappy out I'd rather spend the day with a book/wife/kids inside. In my car I keep my machete, I have a folding knife on my hip, the gps, my palm, I wear a ball cap. I wear boots and carry a pistol. I'm going to add a set of GMRS/FRS radios here sooner or later. So far most of my caches have been the next to the road variety, but I'm thinking as I go I'll had a satchel with a first aid kit and a small survival kit.

Don't forget about your car too. Pack some water, even if it's only in your car, some snackies. Keep your car gassed. Keep the car gassed and tires inflated and check the spare and tire jack make sure you know where they are an how to use them.

Thanks for the tips! I didn't even think of "convertible" pants, that's a good idea. I used to have a really good pair that had a drawstring and a snap to roll them up, but they wore out. I think I'm going to have to go invest in a new pair or two...

You were right about the jeans. I wore them anyway and my dog went swimming one of the days in MI before I went hiking so I ended up with wet jeans for half the day and it was not fun :D

Many of the items mentioned are things my dog carries in her backpack (which has a slim profile so it won't catch too much when bushwhacking) like water, flashlight, compass, first aid kit; and she always goes with my caching when it is a 'dogs allowed' area so that will work out well.

I'm not sure what a trekking pole is but from the description it sounds different from a walking stick, so I guess I will go look it up now.

I'm not sure what a trekking pole is but from the description it sounds different from a walking stick, so I guess I will go look it up now.

Trekking poles are kind of like ski poles, only they are segmented, for collapsibility. This also means they can be adjusted for terrain and the users height and also can be placed in your pack when not needed. See here.

Many of the items mentioned are things my dog carries in her backpack (which has a slim profile so it won't catch too much when bushwhacking) like water, flashlight, compass, first aid kit...

Important items like this in your dogs pack probably aren't a good idea. If the dog takes off after a deer and gets lost, you're SOL.

Thanks for the tips! I didn't even think of "convertible" pants, that's a good idea.

Some people love these. I can't stand them. I've tried several pairs and found the zipper across the thigh to be very uncomfortable. A good lightweight pair of nylon hiking pants make shorts unecessary anyway.

Important items like this in your dogs pack probably aren't a good idea. If the dog takes off after a deer and gets lost, you're SOL.

Well, she is not normally allowed off-leash when we are geocaching as it is usually illegal and also it may disturb/scare other hikers (to see an off-leash dog) if we are on a trail... She is also very well-trained and knows "leave it" and "come" so that if for some reason she WAS off-leash (hasn't happened yet while caching) and she did start to take off I could easily call her back. Of course I also carry water in my own pack, it's easier to take out.

Some people love these. I can't stand them. I've tried several pairs and found the zipper across the thigh to be very uncomfortable. A good lightweight pair of nylon hiking pants make shorts unecessary anyway.

The pair I had didn't have zippers, they had a drawstring on the bottom and then a tab halfway up the leg so you could roll up the bottom and secure it with the tab and the drawstring... I guess this kind is not usual? I hope I can find something like it, they were nice pants.

The pair I had didn't have zippers, they had a drawstring on the bottom and then a tab halfway up the leg so you could roll up the bottom and secure it with the tab and the drawstring... I guess this kind is not usual? I hope I can find something like it, they were nice pants.

Most of the convertable hiking pants are like these:

190459.jpg

The legs are attached to the shorts with a zipper.

My geocaching gear consists of the following items -

Clothing of some sort (because I don't want to scare anyone)

GPSr

Pen

Swag items

Chewing Tobacco

Wallet (another reason I need the clothing)

Pocket tool (no, not that kind of tool, get your mind out of the gutter)

Money (For beer on the way home)

Very often you can find those kind of pants at a big discount on e-bay. I just picked up 2 pair of Ex Officio women's zip-off pants for less than $20 each that retail for over $80.

I've been just staying in my regular work clothes if I go geocaching later in the day, since I'm already prepared for hiking in the woods. Working as an archaeologist, I've usually been wearing the aforementioned zip-off pants, leather gaiters (keeps the ticks out of my pant legs but I ditch them if I get too hot), a loose long-sleeved shirt, hat, and sturdy leather boots waterproofed w/Sno-Seal (right now Cabela's Outfitter boots have been working nicely). Lately I've been wearing a 70 oz. Camelbak hydration pack for water, which keeps me going for awhile. Before I leave the truck I apply bug repellent - Avon Skin-So-Soft bug repellent/sunscreen, and have a small can of MaxiDeet in my pack if the bugs really get nasty. In the Camelbak there is enough room for a small amount of gear, so I usually bring along at a minimum a compass, first aid kit, camera, flashlight, some items for trading, writing implements, a cell phone or walkie-talkie, and Leatherman-type multi tool. I keep forgetting to bring my hiking stick, which would really be handy. Having a topo map of the area, or at least a good section showing where you'll be at around the cache is a big plus. Generally, my day job has me surveying through all kinds of terrain, which I suppose would qualify as bushwhacking. On rare occasions have I had to use a machete. Unfortunately my current employer Uncle Sam doesn't allow me to carry a firearm at work, but I plan on acquiring a new sidearm for personal use in the near future (guess packing while caching is an entirely different thread).

i dontt hink anyone reccomended them but me and the girlfriend always wear "army pants" when out hiking/bushwhacking. ive heard them called BDUs and fatigues but i like the simple term army pants.

theyre made of a thick material that doesnt snag on thorns and is water resistant. pockets have button flaps so nothing falls out, and the leg bottoms have a draw string to tie them tight to the ankles, ticks and otehr animals cant find any way in!

ebay is a good place to find them or we get them from our local army surplus store for about $30 each brand new, much cheaper if you buy used.