"proximity Waypoints"-usefulness & Implementation

I'm trying to understand the usefulness and implementation of the "proximity waypoints" feature on my Legend C.

The manual states it's useful for avoiding locations.

It seems that it would be much more useful if I could draw a polygon in mapsource over some private property, toxic waste dump, etc. instead of relying on individual points.

I thought maybe this could be effectively done by "connecting the dots" with the mapsource route drawing tool, but there's no way to add the route itself to the proximity settings, so adding each waypoint could be very tedious.

I suppose adding 2 or 3 waypoints in the appropriate location might provide enough coverage of the area depending on it's shape, but I was hoping someone could suggest a better way.

I assume you can set the radius on those (like you can in Memory-Map). If that is the case, they would be very useful for cache placement. I download the caches in the area and then set the proximity radius to 528 feet. This shows me where a cache could be placed without violating the placement criteria. (Although, you are out of luck for stages in multis.)