Wild Peacock Sighting

Cardinal Red

At noon today while doing some volunteer Cache Maintenance, I had a visitor. The Cache had been reported found scattered on the ground during a rain storm. The finder gathered it back together and reported the problem. I got permission to pick it up and dry it out. There had previously been some concern on my part about the provided Final Coords. While I am standing by the Cache, concentrating on checking the Coords again, I hear something behind me.

I have seen Peacocks on TV before, and in captivity. NEVER in the wild. But there he was, walking toward me. Nice tail (folded), beautiful blue neck. Didn't seem to have a care in the world. Circled around me (within 10') and stopped to eat some Blossom Petals. I even moved my head a little. He looked right at me several times. No reaction.

Is this thing wild? Is it an escapee? Can it survive in Southeast Pennsylvania?

Note: Found teeth marks (not Human, not Peacock) on several of the Cache items. So at least it probably wasn't a human muggle that had scattered this one.

Peacocks do not have reproducing populations in PA so they cannot be considered "wild". There are many farms and households that keep them as pets and for their plumage. They get away all the time and most end up eaten by a fox or other predator. The fact that this one seemed comfortable around people is a good sign its not wild.

Salvelinus