Adopting Caches

seikku

I've sent email to two nordic reviewers and haven't got answers, so could someone here in forum please tell me what to do for I'm not good with waiting answers that propably never comes.

My problems are two caches. Other one I want to adopt for I have done maintenance there and the owner does not seem to be interested of this hobby anymore. The other is my own cache and I want to give it to the man who maintains it and who has hidden the cache with me.

I've seen caches that have been adopted but Lewa Nuva and Tahu Nuva neither answers to me how to do it. What should I do? Wait, wait, wait the whole summer or contact someone else (who?)?

contact@geocaching.com is the ticket. Tell them the cache # (or provide a link) and what steps you have taken to try and contact the owner.

Once they confirm it's abandoned you may be able to adopt the cache. It could be your approvers are in the middle of attempting to contact the owners. This site does give the owners quite some time to repond (as they should in case i'm on vacation for a month).

When I adopted a cache, I first asked received an email from the original hider who said it was ok for me to adopt the cache. Then I sent email to contact@geocaching.com where I explained the situation in detail, and I also included the original owner's email with mine. If my memory serves me right, the cache reviewers were not (at least that time - March 2004) able to transfer the cache ownerships; instead someone at Groundspeak had to do it.

Anyway, despite the notorious slowness (at least at that time) of contact@geocaching.com, I got a reply during the same day where someone called 'Nate' from Groundspeak informed me that the cache ownership has been transferred to my account.

Edit: Ok, RK told the same thing more briefly and effectively. Thanks. :P

Edited by Divine

Löytyisikö näille neljälle kätkölle adoptoijaa? Kirkkonummi on hieman kaukana omalta reviiriltäni. Kätköt lienevät Suomen 100 vanhimman joukossa. Omistajaa vain ei ole näkynyt sivustolla 2½ vuoteen. Niinpä onkin pieni ihme että mikropurkit ovat säilyneet aloillaan maastossa näinkin kauan.

Paikat ovat ihan kätköttämisen arvoisia. Ainakin osa purkeista pitäisi tosin korvata kookkaammilla. Myöskään maasto- ja vaikeusluokitukset eivät ole oikein kohdallaan.

GCA6B9

GC8F39

GC5C11

GC597E

Just a reminder, if you need to give your cache for adoption, please use page http://www.geocaching.com/adopt/

Cheers, Olli

I didn't quite understand how that one works. I tried to give GC8DC3 and got an answer "You have not been asked to adopt this listing". The cache is really near my home and other cachers have asked me if I could try to adopt that one since the owner doesn't seem to take care of that one anymore. Well, I haven't sent mail to the owner or reviewers - I just tried what happens if I give the GC-code there. But could you Olli try to explain how that page works since I seem to be too blonde <_< to understand?

But could you Olli try to explain how that page works since I seem to be too blonde <_< to understand?

I'm not Olli, but perhaps I can try to explain it.

That link will work only if you want to give one of your own caches to adoption to someone. You write down your cache waypoint name and after that choose user you want to send adoption request.

Or if someone has sended you a request to adopt their cache thru this system you go to the link and write down waypoint name you got and something happends. Don't know what because I haven't tried that.

If owner don't send a request for some reason only way to proceed is the old way. Send post a to your local reviewer. At least so I have understod this.

I'm trying to clarify/correct a little:

That link will work only if you want to give one of your own caches to adoption to someone. You write down your cache waypoint name and after that choose user you want to send adoption request.

The new owner receives an email where is another adoption link. If the owner accepts your request, he/she has to click that link on the email and after that the ownership of your cache is transferred immediately to new owner.

If owner don't send a request for some reason, the best way to proceed is to contact geocaching.com, please use e-mail address contact@geocaching.com

If you somehow don't get reply from geocaching.com, please contact your local reviewer only after that, but please wait about a week or so.

Regards, Olli