How To Name A New Cache?

Prof_Fate

Ok, been doing this since last fall, and I think i am ready to place a few caches.

A magnetci hide a key micro, a typical rubbermade container and a peanut butter jar (just for something different, container wise)

So how does one go about picking a name for a cache? How do you know if a name is gonna be OK or not?

Any other advice?

My few caches have not been named until I've written up the description . . . and then the name has just come to me.

The only one with real significance is "Dislocation Cache" because that is near where I dislocated my kneecap :P right after I placed the container.

Tying the name into something in the area its hidden in works well. For example, my very first cache was hidden down a trail that had a small pavilion at the beginning. It was named 'Pavilion Trail'. I have another one hidden near a river bank named 'A River Runs By It'

Aluding to the container also works. '_______ Micro' might work for the hide-a-key. If you hide the PB jar near some mushrooms, it could be 'Peanut Butter and Fungus Sandwich'.

Just take a magic marker with you if you're going to write the name of the cache on the container, and see what hits you when you decide on a hiding spot.

The micro I have a place all picked out. Got a reading today, and will try a few more before i place later this week. Near a park n ride, lots of tractor trailers are parked there as they are not allowed on the township's roads and the drivers live here.

the other ones...well i don't know where yet. Perhaps take a tour of the township parks and rec fields.

The micro I have a place all picked out. Got a reading today, and will try a few more before i place later this week. Near a park n ride, lots of tractor trailers are parked there as they are not allowed on the township's roads and the drivers live here.

the other ones...well i don't know where yet. Perhaps take a tour of the township parks and rec fields.

How about:

Mack Cache

Kenworth Derby

Big Rig Micro

Non-rollin' Volvos (those who know latin see the humor in this one)

Micro and the Bandit

BJ and the Cache

My faorite...

Haulin' Cache

How about:

Mack Cache

Kenworth Derby

Big Rig Micro

Non-rollin' Volvos (those who know latin see the humor in this one)

Micro and the Bandit

BJ and the Cache

My faorite...

Haulin' Cache

There's always "Trailer Park". :blink:

My caches:

Currency Exchange : exchange the currency in int with another variety

Remebering Those Claimed By The Sea : momnument virtual for those lost in fishing accidents

Water Logged: Cache hidden under a log out in the water.

Stephen's Field Quickie : hidden at Stephen's Feild less than 200' from parking area

It's Not About The Numbers.....Or Is It? : A challenge to cachers to log their find only as a note.

Moose Hill Mix Em Up : A mutli on Moose hill of different puzzles

Edited by WH

Or you could call it Ģēőċăčħĕ and watch the people try to down load it in GSAK. :blink:

I really like caches that the name makes me think just a little and give me an "aHA!" when I find the cache or pull into the parking lot.

Example: I have a cache that is in a place called Coral Woods. I stewed on a name for quite some time and then finally settled on Choir of Trees. Bad pun, but it is unique and definitely fitting to the area.

Some of my cache names are entirely pragmatic: Herrick Lake Audio Exchange is just that - an audio themed cache at Herrick Lake Forest Preserve.

Have fun, but don't make naming as big of an issue and placing the cache in a really good location.

Ok, been doing this since last fall, and I think i am ready to place a few caches.

A magnetci hide a key micro, a typical rubbermade container and a peanut butter jar (just for something different, container wise)

So how does one go about picking a name for a cache? How do you know if a name is gonna be OK or not?

Any other advice?

If you want people to remember the cache by its name, I'd avoid the "I'm going to name all my caches after X" syndrome, with X being, songs, rock groups, makes of cars, episodes of TV shows, whatever. Doing that, you might as well pick random words out of the dictionary, since their's no relationship between the name and the cache.

The caches I remember by name (even years later), are those where the name had something to do with the area, the container (if it's especially clever) or some unique aspect of the cache hunt.

And for god's sake, don't call it a "A Walk In The Park".

I chose 'No reason to Park' - as there is no public transportation there...works for me.

Anyway, I was thinking that since we ahve 4 or 5 parks/baseball fields around the town i'd put some in them. Most of them i've never been to...should make it more interesting for me huh?

So...a traditional or a multi? or some of each? or a puzzle?

What i'd like to do is have folks tour the township...so any of them should work to some extent. My wife wants to name them after our kids, but we don't ahve enough of them...perhaps historic township figures...

thanks for all your input - great stuff.

I really like the caches that the name makes no sense, until you get there and find the cache. Just one more part of the mystery.

Anyways, here's how I named mine:

Sci-Fi- a cache placed at the dry lake bed that they filmed the landing in "Mars Attacks", was a sci-fi themed cache.

The Atomic Cache-Provides a great view of the Nevada Test Site, where they used to test the Big Ones.

Toy Drive- Temp cache to collect donations for the annual Toys for Tots toy drive.

Jurrasic Park I and II- hiden near a local park with that has a cool dino themed playground.

Deep Down Body Thirst- hidden deep in a crevise in a Gatorade powder container.

In Town Off Road Adventure- A large, at the time undeveloped area of Las Vegas that was popular with offroaders.

and

Alien Artifact- requires the cacher to find a TB of the same name that has the coords. The TB is a strange disk with alien looking markings that need to be decoded to find the cache.

I really like the caches that the name makes no sense, until you get there and find the cache.  Just one more part of the mystery.

. . .

That's the way this one was. It was called "Al's Cache."

Only after seeing the Alligator beneath the nolina/yucca did I get the joke.

AlsCache1.jpg

My "What's This" cache got its name because I figured that is what people would say if they arrived without the required screwdriver . . .

My wife is the creative part of our team - she has named 75% of our cache hides. The boring simple ones are usually mine.

I have named caches after the area they are placed and my wife usually picks some obscure literary or movie or tv reference that always just sounds perfect. Thanks Lisa!!!!

My cache names "usually" have somthing to do with the area I am hiding it in or why.

"Cash-mere Cache" - located in the town of Cashmere and it is a coin (cash) exchange.

"21-Candles" - I hid this one on my daughters 21st birthday.

"Gone But Not Forgotten" - Statement on a plaque located on a fence surrounding a lone grave out in the woods.

"Stamp Me A Cache" - located at an old Stamper mill for silver ore.

"Blow Me Away" - A puzzle cache that starts at an old civil war cannon and takes you to the top of a mountain where the wind blows.

"Pear-A-Dise" - the name of the park the cache is located in.

"Oh-Me-Oh-My" - the name of the botanical garden the cache is located.

"You Can't Get There From Here" - A multi that you start at a road sign that lists the mileage to several towns down the road. The town the cache is located in is not listed...thus the name.

"Aluminight" - (coming soom) Is a night time cache across the river from an aluminum plant. (my wifes idea)

"Red Bear's First Spokane Cache" - my first cache in Spokane WA

"Survivor Mission" - Several caches have come and gone from Mission Park. My goal is for mine to survive the muggles.

"What's Playing Tonight" - is located at an old drive-in movie theatre.

"Numbers Here and Numbers There" - A number puzzle located close to a hill that the high school seniors put the graduating year on in BIG numbers.

Think about the cache area or the reason for the cache and let the creative juices flow. Hopefully this helps.

:P

Edited by WARedBear

My cache names have alot to do with where they are hid.

My "RIP" series are all located near a cemetary. :D:blink:

"Buttons, Pins and Patches" is small so only buttons, pins or patches will fit. :lol:

"Into the Dunes" is in the Pismo dunes. :(

"Fork of the Roads" is where two pioneer roads fork. :P

"Vector Mojave" has to do with aliens, you have to read the write up. :(

"Vector Mojave The Cure" the cure for Vector Mojave. :o

"School Daze" A neat old school building. :P

Sometimes the name came before the cache and sometimes the other. I never had a problem coming up with a name it just sort of happens. :(