Movies Or Cds Only Cache.

Has anyone ever tryed to do a "only" cache?

I would like to take 3 of my least liked DVD's (because I don't want to loose my most liked) stick them in a cache and say "DVDs Only Please" in the posting. This way anyone that wanted to hunt it, could remember to bring a DVD or 2 or 3 to swap out in this cache. It would keep the cache interesting and would be more of an adult cache. Kids and Kids movies (not wiggles, but diney type) movies could be traded too.

What do you all think about this, would you do it?

I also thought about doing it with CD's. I might just use a CD as a cache filler for the ones I find. As long as they are large enough.

Thanks for your input.

Scott

I will reply. I did this cache a week ago. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCKDJN

I really liked it. I took a dvd and went home and watched it and then emailed my critics on the movie. The owner has since loaded more dvds in the cache so if you are in Montreal, find it. Nice cache spot also.

I would like to try this also, but will wait until I move to my new country in the next few months to do this.

I will reply. I did this cache a week ago. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCKDJN

I really liked it. I took a dvd and went home and watched it and then emailed my critics on the movie. The owner has since loaded more dvds in the cache so if you are in Montreal, find it. Nice cache spot also.

I would like to try this also, but will wait until I move to my new country in the next few months to do this.

Thats one reason I wante to list it as a DVD cache, so hopefully others will put one of theirs in, and take one thats in there. That way I wouldnt have to keep loading DVD's in there, but others can all swap theirs in and out.

Free DVD rentals, take one and leave one. :P

It sounds like a good idea.

I read a discussion I believe here someplace about a DVD cache that was created and then muggled eventually.. perhaps members-only?

one example I found:

Video cache

A cacher named FullQuiver also mention one he had that got muggled in one thread.

Edited by Marcie/Eric
It sounds like a good idea.

I read a discussion I believe here someplace about a DVD cache that was created and then muggled eventually.. perhaps members-only?

one example I found:

Video cache

A cacher named FullQuiver also mention one he had that got muggled in one thread.

That is a good point. If you don't make it MO, turn it into at least a two-stage multi so the coordinates to the actual DVD cache container are not known to someone who looks at the cache page.

A twist on the theme could be to only put in the worst DVD in your collection. Someone might like one of them anyway, or get a real hoot out of it, but with that in the description, it would be less tempting for someone if they have nefarious intentions.

9 people have read this and nobody wants to post? You guys are boring.

It has been done before lots of times. The Movies need to be ORGIONALS no copies, I know you insuated it but just making sure.

Secondly what did your post contribute???????????

cheers

I am putting togather a man only and women only caches as we speak.

You are not talking about caches that can only be logged by members of one sex are you? I'm thinking this might cause problems, as it is definitively discriminatory.

Though I know of one cache for which you have to be wearing a dress, it is equally available for men and women to log (pictures are needed). You could make the reverse : a cache for which you have to wear a suit or a tie.

And for the OP : all good, as long as people don't start filling it with illegal copies...

I am putting togather a man only and women only caches as we speak.

You are not talking about caches that can only be logged by members of one sex are you? I'm thinking this might cause problems, as it is definitively discriminatory.

Though I know of one cache for which you have to be wearing a dress, it is equally available for men and women to log (pictures are needed). You could make the reverse : a cache for which you have to wear a suit or a tie.

[raving cacher mode: on]

Oh my lord. The PC police in full force.

There are two caches-one for a girl theme, and one for a guy theme. VERY CLOSE TOGETHER.. Did you not read this cachers whole post? How is that discriminatory. Better yet: how is it LESS discriminatory to make someone wear a dress to log a cache and NOT offer a suit and tie cache/log? I don't even think the cacher requires you to be female or male. Just the theme of the trade out items. I don't want a cache full of hose, lotion, and hair scrunchies as trade items. Would you want one with a dumbell, an oil filter, and a craftsman socket wrench?

Reminds me of the unisex bathroom debate.. (puke)

[raving cacher mode: off]

Edited by Marcie/Eric
I have seen a books-only cache (large container).  I don't see why a CD-only cache wouldn't work.

I had a cache where you traded only Louis L'Amour books. It didn't go over very well, people found the cahce and all but very few people traded books.

My newest cache is just a paperback book swap, and already more books have been traded in less than two weeks than with the Louis L'Amour cache.

There's also a cache around here called "Blockbuster" that is a DVD swap. So I guess what I'm saying is a DVD swap is cool, just don't narrow your market to the point that no one participates.

Edited by Iplayoutside

Continuing on the OP question about theme caches...

To me, caches with a trading theme are quite alright. Just don't make it a theme cache and mandatory trading... not everyone has a trade item that fits the theme.

I have seen a tools cache, a coins cache, a keychains caches, a marbles cache...

Caches where the theme is not "what" can be traded, but "who" can trade would annoy me. It has nothing to do with political correctness. I don't really care for political correctness. I am fat, not horizontally challenged.

I would be equally annoyed at a cache that only left-handed people can log, only black haired people can log or only people with a certain last name can log. And I believe all those would be against geocaching.com rules. The only such restriction you are allowed to place is to restrict your cache to members of geocaching.com only. You can also use physical ability as a limitation by placing it in harder terrain, or mental ability by making it a hard puzzle. You can make one that requires special equipment and training. But you can't decide that, since you don't like people named Bob, no one named Bob can log your cache. This is my understanding of the rules anyway

To answer Marcie/Eric`s questions now :

Better yet: how is it LESS discriminatory to make someone wear a dress to log a cache and NOT offer a suit and tie cache/log?

Well, the cache is not in a muggled filled area, there is some bushwacking involved, so you can slip on the dress (preferably one bought for a couple of bucks at a thrift store) over your clothes for a quick photo once at the cache site. And that would normally be what both men and women have to do, considering women don't go caching in the woods in a dress. Well, I don't know any women who do at least, might be different in your neck of the woods.

You could do the same with a suit, of course, because I don't think many people of either sex go for non-urban caches wearing that either. for some reason though, pictures of women wearing suits are not deemed as funny as pictures of men wearing dresses. And there are not that many women caching too, so it would be mostly guys.

I don't want a cache full of hose, lotion, and hair scrunchies as trade items. Would you want one with a dumbell, an oil filter, and a craftsman socket wrench?

Why, yes, I would. Though a dumbell might be a bit heavy to carry for miles and not fit in the caching bag if its more than 20 pounds. I do own a car, many tools (but can always use more) and I do weight training. Maybe I'm not normal, but well, I probably wouldn't be geocaching if I was...

Lotion should not be left in caches (could leak, smell could attract animals, does not resist temperature variations well)

Hose I consider a type of underwear. I would not trade underwear in a cache.

Scrunchies could be ok if new and have not absorbed humidity. Metallic or plastic hair accessories might be better trade items than fabric ones.

If you want to do a cache with "girly" stuff (I have nothing against that, mind you, as long as guys are allowed to log it too), I`d suggest filling it with jewellry instead.

Or jewellry making things, like beads. Recipes are good too, and some guys know how to use them. :unsure: I kid, I kid, but you see what I am trying to say I hope.

I just recently placed a CD cache called Zoso Track 2. It's pretty out of the way, so I'm hoping it won't be stumbled upon and muggled. The CDs I used were the "bargain store" variety--compilation CDs of bands that cost around $6 each. The bands are pretty good classic rock types. While it was a little on the expensive side, it's the kind of cache I would love to find. The container I used over the ammo can was also expensive, but it was so neat I couldn't resist. When the cache gets more "mature" (i.e., more finds), perhaps I'll post the container, too.

I agree that themed caches are tough, because many people don't go to the store to get the appropriate trading item. I know that I usually cache on the spur of the moment, so I'm not prepared for all of the various themes I come across. Of course, one always has the TNLN alternative. On my cache page, I suggested that one try to make a decent trade if they didn't have a CD with them. I'll see how it turns out over time. I usually have a couple of CDs in my geocaching bag to use as trading items for particularly good caches with high-quality swag.

Great comeback RHW. Excellent points.

How about this. One cache, one online log, two actual caches, one set of coordinates. The girly cache can be a waypoint projected 213M out at 175º from said coords. The manly cache could be a waypoint projected 208M out at 205º from said coords. You could find either or both, log both physically, but only get 1 online find for the thing. You could actually make it a multi, where you don't even know the projection info until you get to stage 1.

But when you get back to the PC, any person only gets one log, and everyone logs it the same online.

Better?

Let's make it a CHICK FLICK and a STUD FLICK cache with appropriate movies in each.

Edited by Marcie/Eric

I have a CD exchange cache (The Jukebox) and a DVD exchange cache (The Disk Exchange). They're really only "only " caches in the sense that I loaded them to begin with with one type of item. Some folks have left other things and that's fine.

I encourage people to return to trade whenever they want to, but as far as I know, nobody has actually gone back just to trade, so they aren't terribly popular for that purpose.

BadCDExchangeCache.jpg

Everytime I add another cd or dvd to my long planned 'king of all media cache' (working title only), I smile, thinking of how well the cases fit into an ammo can. It is like the inventor of cds/dvds did it with geocaching in mind.

Edited by sbell111

I like that idea Marcie/Eric... kind of one cache with two containers and people can choose what type of stuff they want to trade. It has many possibilities of variations. Like a multi with a container of kiddie stuff at the first stage and grown-up stuff at the second stage. Or a theme cache with a second container (or a compartment in the container if its big enough) for people who want to trade something else than theme items.

Now I should stop looking at those boards and try to find some time to actually go caching :unsure:

... How about this. One cache, one online log, two actual caches, one set of coordinates. ...

Interesting idea. :unsure:

You could actually hide both of them in the exact same spot. I'm envisioning two of the smaller ammo cans, one painted baby blue, the other pink. They are somehow attached to one another, perhaps epoxied together with some kind of spacer in between to allow them both to open easily.

I placed Moosical Cachairs, and Game Me, Baby here in Northern Utah, and have found that most people cache the same way I do........show up and find out AFTER what the theme is. LOL

I left a pretty decent PC Game; Battlefield Vietnam, and it still hasn't been picked up.

I like that idea Marcie/Eric... kind of one cache with two containers and people can choose what type of stuff they want to trade.  It has many possibilities of variations.  Like a multi with a container of kiddie stuff at the first stage and grown-up stuff at the second stage.

We have a four-stage multi (Something for Everyone) where the first stage is a full-size container stocked with kids' stuff, and the final is an ammo box that started out as grownup stuff but is slowly devolving into kids' stuff as well :anibad: .

(The reason that we initially set it up that way was for parents with small kids who didn't want to go on a two-mile walk.)