Batteries

I would recommend getting rechargeable batteries. Much more economical in the long run . . . and more environmentally friendly.

I bought a 15-minute Energizer charger, with four 2300 mAmp NiMH batteries at Target for $25.00. This is very convenient and even works in my car with the $30.00 inverter I already had (I got that at Fry's Electronics.)

My eTrex Vista works better, and longer, with the name-brand rechargeable batteries.

I use the RavoVac 15 minute rechargeables. They're wonderful (I even use them in my powered toothbrush......they last forever).

I do, however, keep some Eveready e2 Lithiums in my day pack, just for emergency backups, as they have a long shelf life. They're also unaffected (or minimally so) by extreme cold, if that's ever a factor.

We're assuming that the 60c and 60cs are the same as far as batteries. Our manual for the 60c said that battery life is much longer with regular alkaline batteries as compared with rechargeable. I don't know if that matters to you, but its something to consider.

Many of the newer higher capacity rechargeable batterys have longer run times than alkaline batterys. Your 60c manual is a couple years old now and out of date with current technology.

I can definitely advise what not to use....had to get batteries today at the mountain town hardware store and chose to go cheap due to theri prices. they wanted $10.00 for a four pack of Duracells. Ouch.

Bought four packs of Eveready super heavy duty (black body with silver trim) AA's today-should be called Eveready Super Deads in Half an hour! Pure crap.

I think that a AA NiMh rechargeable will outlast any alkaline battery if properly conditioned.

I got 34 hours with my 76cs on SANYO brand 2500mAh AA Ni-MH. $3.00ea +

You cannot take a Ni-MH out of the package charge them up and expect them to reach more than 75-80% of capacity. It takes several charges and discharges to condition them.

As far as Lithium’s go, some electronic devices have problems with them as far as showing how much battery life is remaining. Has anyone checked with Garmin in regards to using them in the units? In some of the HAM stuff, the manufactures would not honor the warranty if Lith-Ion were being used or found in the unit when sent in for warranty repairs.

If you put in fresh charged batteries when you head out you shouldn't have a problem. Don't do like I did, grab the 60cs, with rechargables, and head out after it had been sitting one week. It looked good when I turned it on all the way up to 10 minutes later when it died. Now I use Kirkland since you can get a package of 48 for just over $10. I just keep two in my backpack.

I've been using the RayoVac 15 min. NiMH for a few months now and they're great. The car charger came free (request it from RayoVac) so if I'm heading out without a full charge I can just charge 'em on the the way there (I keep some spares along, too). I've been impressed with their perfomance.

Just remeber that rechargable batteries come in different strengths .... from 1600 MaH to 2500 Mah (milliamphours) on average. The higher the number the longer they last. As previously stated they need several cycles to condition them to hold a good full charge. Rechargeables also loose their charge way faster than Alkalines while sitting around. Grabbing a et of rechargeables that you charged 3 weeks ago will certainly not give you the duration as a set just charged the night before.

I carry a spare set of duracells for emergency use as they have a long shelf life, but rechargeables are definitly the way to go for daily cache outtings. Thanks for the post regarding the auto rechargers ... I got to look into that! :mad: ImpalaBob

Edited by ImpalaBob

About 6 months ago, AtlantaGal ran a long test with lithiums on her 76CS, posting the results in the main forum. The bottom line, as I recall, was that they last three times as long, but cost three times as much.

Also, the output of lithiums is very steady until they are nearly gone, and then drop off suddenly, so your battery meter may show three bars one minute, and then the unit suddenly goes dead. Edit: Chart. Keep track of your hours using Li, and don't rely on the battery meter.

Lithiums are lighter. The 60C acutally floats when using lithiums (a picture to prove it somewhere in the forums).

Most battery threads (like this one) recommend NiMH rechargables in the 2300 mAh range as the most cost effective way to go. I concur.

edit: Link to prior thread.

Edited by Sputnik 57

I am sure it is just me but I don't like taking the gps out of the carring case, the opening and closing of the battery compartment, changing the batteries 3Xs as much so that is the reason I use the lithiums. The cost of the lithiums offsets those reasons given for me anyway. Better in cold weather and a longer shelf life is also a plus.

And that's why there are choices. You're especially right about the cold weather and shelf life benefits. One more concern I'll throw into the mix is that of solid waste disposal. A set of rechargeables can get 1000 or more charges, reducing the number of batteries that get thrown away. Now, having said that, I would agree that that would have to be considered as part of the overall picture: What are the environmental costs of manufacturing the rechargers, adapters, cords, etc. My gut feeling is that the more devices I can power from rechargeables, the less impact I'm making.

And that's why there are choices. You're especially right about the cold weather and shelf life benefits. One more concern I'll throw into the mix is that of solid waste disposal. A set of rechargeables can get 1000 or more charges, reducing the number of batteries that get thrown away. Now, having said that, I would agree that that would have to be considered as part of the overall picture: What are the environmental costs of manufacturing the rechargers, adapters, cords, etc. My gut feeling is that the more devices I can power from rechargeables, the less impact I'm making.

Point well taken

I read something on one of the RC groups that recent tests of the Lithium cells have shown that they really do not have anything on the new generation NiMH cells as far as capacity. I am looking for the string so I can post the link (stand-by).

And yes, “they are still superior in extreme cold and lighter in weight”.

I've been very happy with my Sanyo 2500mAh batteries and charger from RipVan100.com. He sells a package of a very good charger with conditioner and trickle-charge mode (most chargers don't have these) and 4 industrial grade batteries for $30. I get fantastic life from these--much better than the Energizer 2500mAh and cheapo charger they came with. Don't just by by the mAh rating--brand matters, and Sanyo are among the best (along with Powerex (Maha), Jetcell and a few others). Cheap batteries may not actually provide the full mAh rating or may lose capacity over time. Also, some ultra-fast chargers tend to overheat the batteries, reducing their life; they also may not reach a full charge.

Conditioners perform a deep discharge before charging and this helps the charger achieve higher capacity. New batteries really need to go through several charge/discharge cycles before they reach their full potential.