Geocaching Makes The Front Page

The Leprechauns

On the front page of today's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, there's an article called "Local adventurers catching on to high-tech treasure hunts." You can read the online version here.

Featured in the article are The Leprechauns, Old Millironsides, and Little Low on Cache.

All in all, a favorable article, except for little slips like referring to a cache owner as "the guy who buried the treasure." That, and leading the article with the story of how I slid off an icy trail and plunged into an ice-cold creek. I can blame my daughter for telling that one! Read the full log here.

On the front page of today's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, there's an article called "Local adventurers catching on to high-tech treasure hunts." You can read the online version here.

Featured in the article are The Leprechauns, Old Millironsides, and Little Low on Cache.

All in all, a favorable article, except for little slips like referring to a cache owner as "the guy who buried the treasure." That, and leading the article with the story of how I slid off an icy trail and plunged into an ice-cold creek. I can blame my daughter for telling that one! Read the full log here.

Great article, Lep!!!!

Thanks to Team DEMP for adding this article to his most excellent service.

I can forgive a minor slip or two in the article, since overall it was pretty accurate. I really appreciated the fact that the reporter took an hour to go find two caches with us. He spotted the second one before my daughter did, much to her embarrassment! I showed him how a GPS works, so he avoided the mistakes that many reporters make, like "the GPS transmits its location to the satellites..." We talked about a lot of other stuff that didn't make the article, like CITO (we trashed out stuff on the hike back from maintaining my cache) and how we obtained permission to hide caches in the City Parks by doing a big CITO Event. But the human interest stories he included were a bit more interesting!

Once again:

If your GPS unit is 30 feet off, and so was that of the guy who buried   the treasure...

What is it with these reporters?

Maybe it would be helpful to ask that the reporter send you the story to review for accuracy before sending it to press. I know for those articiles I was quoted in (all unrelated to geocaching) they sent it to me before hand to review.

And for the "B" word, I think it would be helpful to explain to them the misconceptions about geocaching. Items are NOT buried, they are placed/hidden/covered in the existing surroundings of the cache location.

We don't [normally] place broken McDonald's Happy Meal toys in a cache. Many high find count cachers don't even trade anything, just sign a log book.

Any idea who was involved in the article last week in the Gateway Press papers (Progress and Times Express)?

I was contacted by the author of this article a few months ago and offered to take them on a Geocache, but I never heard a reply. My Hidden Wampum cache was the one in the picture with the benchmark. Not sure who took them to that one... I could look at the dates and maybe narrow it down!

Nice article. BTW I get geocaching articles sent to me through google news. If you go to google, click on news, on the right side there is an alert button. You can click on that, enter geocaching as the subject and put in your addy you will be kept abreast of all the news stories that come out on geocaching. It has been working very well for me and I get at least 4-6 alerts weekly. :o