Air Travel W/ A Gps Unit

HuckleberryMommy

i'm flying to Las Vegas today and woul like to take a travel bug to drop off with me, can i take a gps on the plane w/o any problems?

Yes, absolutely. Just observe the same procedures that you would for using a laptop computer.

You'll want a window seat though.

Have a ton of fun and let us know how it works out for you.

Edited by Team cotati697

Every time I have flown I have had my GPSr with me. I have never been questioned about it and in the past they even allowed you to use it. Now, my most recent flight (on NWA) from Pittsburgh-Detroit-Duluth, I had no problems carrying it on, but they specifically stated to not use, Cell phones, radios, TVs, or GPS unit.

Every time I have flown I have had my GPSr with me. I have never been questioned about it and in the past they even allowed you to use it. Now, my most recent flight (on NWA) from Pittsburgh-Detroit-Duluth, I had no problems carrying it on, but they specifically stated to not use, Cell phones, radios, TVs, or GPS unit.

Rut roe Rorge!! ;-)

I was told to turn mine off on a recent United flight from Chicago to San Diego. I was also told by the flight attendant that it needed to state on the unit something about it being OK for airline use before they would allow it to be turned on.

My Garmin etrex Legend C doesn't say anything aside from "made in taiwan".

I have never seen an electronic device state right on it if it was suitable for use during aviation. But I think that something like a GPS could confuse a flight attendant and I can see many not knowing if it would interfere with flight instruments.

That being said, no airline should have a problem with you carrying it on, but some may have a problem if you try to use it during flight.

EDIT: But if you get the chance try it. It's fun watching the average speed showing up on your screen as 500MPH:)

Edited by Muzikman
EDIT: But if you get the chance try it. It's fun watching the average speed showing up on your screen as 500MPH:)

Yes. Before I had to turn mine off, the GPSr showed a steady 500mph @ 35,000 ft.

It was cool to be able to use the map to identify some of the towns, etc. I was looking at below.

I've used mine twice on airlines because it didn't occur to me it might be a problem (though I have since heard of airlines that don't allow them, so I haven't tried again). It was briefly fun but, frankly, you really had to hold the thing up to the window to keep signal, and I got bored holding it in the crook of my elbow after a while.

I was told to turn mine off on a recent United flight from Chicago to San Diego. I was also told by the flight attendant that it needed to state on the unit something about it being OK for airline use before they would allow it to be turned on.

The flight attendent was making up his/her own rules.

I've flown several times with my gps in my carryon bag and didn't have any comments on the unit at the security checks. Never tried to use it in-flight.

Now flying with a travel bug in the carryon, THAT is a different story! :blink:

When I flew with this tb, I caused the shut down of the security checkpoint.

Everyone was going thru normally, me too, til my carryon went thru the xray machine. Suddenly, security guards quietly closed the gates at both ends of the screening point. Then a couple more came over and they re-scanned my bag. Then there was a handful of uniformed guards clustered around the machine staring, you'd think they were watching the SuperBowl on there. Then in a minute two suits with walkie-talkies came and stood near me while the guards brought my bag over to me and asked if they could search it.

Of course I said yes, having absolutely NO idea what they were concerned about. (It had taken me a few minutes to see what was going on, I was busy with putting my shoes and belt back on when the commotion began).

So one gloved guard starts sifting thru my bag and I'm thinking "what the heck did I put in there, anyway??" and then she lifts out the ziploc baggie with the toy firetruck on a keyring. They all let out a collective sigh, a few smirks and laughs, she dropped the truck back in my carryon, then everyone dispersed and they reopened the gates.

Apparently the metal truck with the metal ring holding the tb tag looked like a grenade or something in the xrays ;)

I've flown with tbs in my carryon since, but NOT metal ones with keyrings attached.

I flew every other week and use my gps on the plane all the time. It's interesting to see where you are during your flight and it gives a fairly accurate eta. Window seat is necessary and you have to put the GPSr in the window to get a signal. It's cool to watch your alt and air speed. :)

Different airlines have different rules regarding GPS units. United, for instance, allows them. I had fun looking at different land formations below and being able to identify them on my Meriplat.

I also got to find out little neat facts such as jetplanes start decending for landing around 300-400 miles away on the average.

Setting the destination city as the goal in the GPS and watching the mile numbers getting smaller and smaller is cool.

There's a master list out there somewhere of what airlines allow GPS units. Someone will probably post it here.

it seems funny to me that they wouldn't want you to use a gps on the plane. i think it's probably because they don't know anything about them.. most aircraft require some sort of gps system to navigate.. it's not like you'd be stealing signals or causing some sort of interferance. it's also funny to me that different airlines have different rules. aren't the aircraft the same no matter what airline you're using? a 747 is a 747 dosen't matter what company uses it.. it still has the same electronics.. oh well.

Edited by WxGuesser

I haven't had any trouble bringing my GPS with me airplanes. I always keep it with my carry-on luggage because I don't want anything to happen to it. It kept it in it's case, right in my carry-on bag, and they never even questioned it. I imagine it looks like a cell phone through those scanners. I did not, however, try to use it on the airplane. I waited until I got to my destination to start a new initialization process for the maps of the area.

I just came back from a week in Las Vegas and had no problems when my carry on went through the machines. On the flight to Vegas I had 2 GPSes, camera, cell phone, and 6 TBs and 12 Tbs on the flight back. No problems at all. Managed to use my GPS while flying, but it needs to be right next to a window.

If you have a rental car the Pioneer Saloon Cache is a must do. Its about 25 miles outside of Vegas and real easy to get to. The brochure I got their that tells the full history of the place is amazing.

Not really, just stating them poorly. United has had a long-standing rule that passenger use of GPS receivers is allowed above 10kft *provided* that they comply with FCC limits for Class B digital devices. All Garmin (and I believe all Magellan and Lowrance) units do comply with that FCC specification and state that in the owner's manual. The little FCC icon (an F followed by concentric Cs) on the case is also an indication that the unit is in compliance.

I am surprised to see that there was an objection on a recent NWA flight. NWA previously prohibited use of passenger GPS receivers but they changed their policy over a year ago. Hope the crew was just unaware of the current policy and that this doesn't mean the airline has switched back.

I have never had a problem with a GPS in my carry on or using it in flight (on Air Canada). I am a pilot myself and there is nothing a hand held GPSr does that will effect anything on the airplane. Back before panel mounted GPS were standard in airliners some pilots would bring a handheld GPSr with them on their flights. So there isn't really anything wrong with using a GPSr in flight but you might get a flight attendant that doesn't know what it is or just wants to enforce/make up rules.

United has had a long-standing rule that passenger use of GPS receivers is allowed above 10kft *provided* that they comply with FCC limits for Class B digital devices. 

United definitely does not have a long standing rule allowing GPSr units. I was told, in February and in March by different flight crews, that they were not allowed.

Best practice here is to ask your flight attendant to ask the captain for you. If you are polite, they will return fairly quickly with an answer. Just don't be too dissapointed if the answer is no.

We just flew on Independence Air from Knoxville to Orlando. I asked the flight attendant on the way down if I could use my GPS and she gave me a sour look and said "They prefer you didn't". I didn't push it but got the impression I might get a different answer from a different attendant. Unfortunately, after a week of Disney, I was too darned tired to care about using the GPS on the return flight!

Just to add to the collection of stories...I fly American a lot and until recently, never had an issue with turning it on. On my last flight, they specifically asked me to turn it off. When asked about "why", they were concerned about some GPS units being able to "track the current position" from the ground. Personally, I think I just got an overzealous flight attendant who wanted to flex his muscle. So I complied and did not push it at that time.

For the record, I did wait until they said it was safe t turn on portable electronics, which included my PocketPC with a different GPS unit built in. And by the way, PocketPC's are on the list of approved electronic devices. But it was the Garmin Vista C that they made me turn-off. :D:D:D

Until they specifically mention it on the departing announcements, I will continue to use it again on future flights! :D

I've used mine twice on Southwest. Both time, I turned it on on the tarmac to get a signal. When they said turn off all devices and what not, I put it behind the window shade and squeezed it shut. Of course one one said anything, what kind of flight attendant knows what a GPSr is? It probably gives off as much RF as my digital watch, and since the plane's pilots are certainly using GPS, I can't see how it could be dangerous.

It is fun to watch your position, or to monitor speed and altitude. I stared at it once for several hours and charted cruising altitude, final decent, when they lower the gear, its really fun.

I just copied and pasted the following paragraph from the American Airlines website (GPS's are listed a little over half-way down):

Electronic Equipment/Personal Devices

All portable electronic devices must remain off and properly stowed during taxi, takeoff, approach, and landing until the plane is at the gate and the seat belt sign is off. Cellphones may be used on certain aircraft after landing in the U.S., the U.S. Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico, once authorized by a flight attendant. Your flight attendant will tell you when you may use approved portable electronic devices in-flight. Devices with transmitting capabilities may only be used if the transmit capability is turned off and can be verified by a flight attendant (example: combination cellphone/PDA devices or laptop computers with wireless capabilities). During flight, never use cellphones (to make or receive calls), two-way pagers, radios, TV sets, remote controls (example: DVD, CD, game, or toy remote controls), a cordless computer mouse, commercial TV cameras, or Global Positioning Systems. Radio transmission using personal communications devices (example: walkie-talkies, two-way pagers, or wireless headphones) is prohibited, as it may interfere with the aircraft's communications and navigation systems. Devices that could cause damage to equipment or that may diminish the design, function, or capability of the aircraft are prohibited. You may use audio and video devices only with a headset. Use of still and video cameras, film or digital, is permitted only for recording personal events. Photography or video recording of airline personnel, equipment, or procedures is strictly prohibited.*

Uh, "dumb question" time, BUT considering that GPSr's are recevers and not transmitters. JUST what kind of a "danger" do they present? I mean even IF a person's GPSr is turned off and in the carry on baggae AREN'T the GPS signals STILL being broadcast, and "intercepting" the airplane???

Digital_Cowboy

I work for an airline and am also a pilot. (not commercially) but let me say that rest-assured, you will not be responsible for bringing down an aircraft with your little GPS. They do this to scare people. Use it at will, if the flight attendant asks you to turn it off, comply, unti then, ENJOY.

I have done it many times and it is neat seeing your display say 500 mph at 34000feet, if you put the track feature on, go home, plug in and download and you can see exactly where the plane flew. My first time I did not understand why we flew over Idaho to go from AZ to WA but I guess it might have been weather.

now, if I could get the other features working, we would be swell.

Daven0615

Uh, "dumb question" time, BUT considering that GPSr's are recevers and not transmitters.  JUST what kind of a "danger" do they present?  I mean even IF a person's GPSr is turned off and in the carry on baggae AREN'T the GPS signals STILL being broadcast, and "intercepting" the airplane???

With the word "digital" in your screen name you ought to realize that every active electronic device is a transmitter. That goes for your GPSr, PDA, cell phone, Gameboy and laptop.

I work for an airline and am also a pilot. (not commercially) but let me say that rest-assured, you will not be responsible for bringing down an aircraft with your little GPS. They do this to scare people.  Use it at will, if the flight attendant asks you to turn it off, comply, unti then, ENJOY. 

I have done it many times and it is neat seeing your display say 500 mph at 34000feet, if you put the track feature on, go home, plug in and download and you can see exactly where the plane flew. My first time I did not understand why we flew over Idaho to go from AZ to WA but I guess it might have been weather.

now, if I could get the other features working, we would be swell.

Daven0615

Has anyone hooked their GPS up to their laptop, and tried using it in conjuntion with say MS Streets & Trips while flying?

Any ideas as to how say MS Streets & Trips would interpert that data???

I'd think that that should be an interesting track. . .

Digital_Cowboy

DELTA is one airline that does not allow use of a GPSr on their flights. I even tried asking the pilots permission. the answer was NO.

:ph34r:

I'm very surprised to hear that since I've always found Delta to be very 'GPS-friendly'. Sometimes even got permission to use a receiver from take-off to landing rather than the usual rule to wait until above 10 kft.

The official policy with regard to GPS receivers is at:

http://www.delta.com/travel/plan/baggage_i...vices/index.jsp

and puts GPS in the same category as laptops/PDAs/etc - allowed when above 10 kft. The policy states:

"You may not operate the following devices when the airplane is at the gate and the boarding door is closed. This restriction also applies during taxi, takeoff, initial climb, approach, or landing.

* Personal computers

* Personal computer peripheral devices

* Personal digital assistants, except when taxiing to the gate

* Personal computer games, except when taxiing to the gate

* Compact disc players

* Digital cassette tape player/recorders

* Video recorder/playback systems

* Calculators

* GPS (global positioning satellite) systems, except when taxiing to the gate

Due to safety concerns, flight crew personnel may, at any time, ask you to turn off a personal electronic device. "

GPS recievers are by their very nature safe for use onboard of aircraft regardless of their size or age. I'm always entertained at the conclusions that people come to on different topics regarding aviation, ESPECIALLY from those who should no better. Enter the flight attendant. Between my own private flying experience and that as a crew member on Air Force tankers, I can assure you that a GPS receiver has NO effect on the avionics of an airliner. There is enough other electronic stuff going on in the cabinets between the cockpit and the cabin that no Garmin or Magellan product running on two AA batteries is going to interfere. A GPSr will NOT interefere with the avionics. It will NOT interefere with the aircraft's own GPS system or the Inertial Navigation System (INS). It will NOT interefere with a Traffic Collision Avoidance System (TCAS) or Ground Proximity Warning System (GPWS). It won't make the engines quit or direct gremlins to mess with the hydraulics or any other system for that matter. If anyone has seen the OLD television show "Lassie', remember when the kids put together some sort of alien defense system or something and then later that day a light plane crashed nearby? This is the same thing. Unless your GPS has some sort of two-way communication feature, have no fear as you are receiving signals only and any potential output from stray voltage or whatever other excuse anyone comes up with is bunk. For the airlines, blanket restrictions on electronics are probably easier to deal with. As soon as an airline allows the use of one particular electronic device on board at anytime, somebody is going to be really upset because his or her favorite electronic toy, such as a cell phone, is not allowed. Then some idiot will complain that he isn't allowed to operate his radar gun onboard. Some people's kids, you know? However, remember that you also must comply with the instructions of flight crews lest you end up like Adam Sandler in "Anger Management." Don't forget about what FAs have to put up with in the jobs. You! On the other hand, they really are paid to provide customer service and some seem to have forgotten that part. Do you best to get along and everyone should appreciate that. Anyway, most things in life fall into the "Just Doesn't Matter" column. If someone is having a coronary about your little Gecko, it is probably wise to deal with the problem at the lowest level possible. If no one notices, track on.

Mahalos for listening, err reading,

Warrior5B

I just copied and pasted the following paragraph from the American Airlines website (GPS's are listed a little over half-way down):

Electronic Equipment/Personal Devices 

All portable electronic devices must remain off and properly stowed during taxi, takeoff, approach, and landing until the plane is at the gate and the seat belt sign is off. Cellphones may be used on certain aircraft after landing in the U.S., the U.S. Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico, once authorized by a flight attendant. Your flight attendant will tell you when you may use approved portable electronic devices in-flight. Devices with transmitting capabilities may only be used if the transmit capability is turned off and can be verified by a flight attendant (example: combination cellphone/PDA devices or laptop computers with wireless capabilities). During flight, never use cellphones (to make or receive calls), two-way pagers, radios, TV sets, remote controls (example: DVD, CD, game, or toy remote controls), a cordless computer mouse, commercial TV cameras, or Global Positioning Systems. <snip>

So who is going to tell American Airlines that the US goverenment is refusing to turn off their Global Positioning System when AA planes are in the air? :) I wonder if AA will have same problem with the Europeans and thier new satellite system?

When I first found myself living in Boston temporarily, back in 2000, after getting lost one night and having to call my wife in New Mexico to read Yahoo Maps to me over a cell phone (talk about "phone a friend"!), I decided to get an "ultra-portable" GPS that would fit in my briefcase. Of course, the first thing I did with it was to track my flights around the country.

Anyway, I've been flying with the GPS for 5 years now, and I have just treated it like a PDA or a computer - when we're above 10,000', I turn it on, and leave it off during takeoffs and approach/landing. Now, I'll admit I've never asked for permission - but then again, I've never been asked to turn it off. Honestly, with the exception of my seatmates (who are always fascinated and want to see how high/fast we are), no one gives it a second glance. I've flown Delta, United, American and Southwest - all the same. But you do have to get a window seat, and it's a bit of a crap shoot on the satellite reception unless you're willing to hold it up. Now, maybe glomming a stick-on external antenna to the window might get some bonus flight crew attention :)

If you don't make a big deal out of it, it will be rare for a flight attendant to give you any grief; if they do, just say "sure!" and stow it.

..Chris..

I am a retired avionics tech. I have installed and repaired avionics and other 2 way radios. I also repaired computers. I have also done 20 years as a Civil Air Patrol observer (the person that scans the ground for the recked planes) and communations officer. I am also a ham radio operator.

I can tell you from my professional opinion and years of knowledge of radios that a gps receiver will not interfere the the planes avionics in any way shape or form.

On the last flight I took a few years ago from Spokane, Wa to Okland, Ca I was able to use both my gps receiver and my 2 meter ht (ht=a vhf walky talky for you non tech fokes) with no problem. But I had one added plus. The captain of the flight going down was a very close friend of mine from the Civil Air Patrol.

Steve

Permission? Permission? Why would you ask permission? Do you ever see people ask permission to turn their laptops on? I don't. They simply wait for the announcement giving the go ahead and switch 'em on. I do the exact same thing with my GPSr, no big deal.

Edited by Team Cotati

The flight attendant may have checked with the pilot and she was relaying the pilot's instructions.

The pilot-in-command has the right to restrict the use of electronics in flight even if the airline's policy is normally to allow them. If you read the policy, they all say 'at the pilot's discretion'.

Federal Aviation Regulations give pilots wide latitude and authorities in flight, similar to ship captains in international waters.

The flight attendant may have checked with the pilot and she was relaying the pilot's instructions.

The pilot-in-command has the right to restrict the use of electronics in flight even if the airline's policy is normally to allow them. If you read the policy, they all say 'at the pilot's discretion'.

Federal Aviation Regulations give pilots wide latitude and authorities in flight, similar to ship captains in international waters.

You missed these lines here when you quoted

<snip>

I was also told by the flight attendant that it needed to state on the unit something about it being OK for airline use before they would allow it to be turned on.

<snip>

I have never, not to say that there aren't any, just that I have never see a consumer handheld GPSr that has been certified for airline use. Come to think of it I don't recall seeing any consumer electronics that state they are okay for airline use. That is why airlines have lists of okay and not okay electronics and why the lists vary from airline to airline.

The only reasons I can think you were told that instead of just a simple no was either the flight attendant didn't want to hurt your feelings by tell you, no. Or, they thought you might argue so instead of saying no they applied a redirection tactic.

That in fact may be true. However pilots are employees just like anyone else, they are not gods. Doing things that irritate your paying customers for no justifiable reason other than you can, is likely in the long run to not be a very smart career move. The first time that some pilot does that to a flight that I am on, will cause a letter to be sent to the appropriate residents at their Corp. headquarters. I'd strongly encourage others to do the same.

I've flown a bunch in the last few years. I always have a couple two way radios, a few minimag flashlights, my GPSr, my camera, and a block of batteries in my carry-on. Surprisingly, I've only had my carryon hand searched once.

I almost always use my GPSr in flight. Unless the FA specifically lists it as an item that cannot be used, I go ahead. Typically, I sit in a window seat on the FO's side. I simply velcro my 3+ to the window and enjoy the flight. (The 3+ is gone, now I use my new V.) When the flight's over, I peel it off and go on my way.

When I have a choice, I pick the airline that lets me use my GPSr.

Edited by sbell111

It depends on which airline you are flying on, I flew American Airlines From ATL to SAC. And I showed the unit to the attendant and she got out the guidlines and sure enough there it was I was allowed to have it, and turn it on! :P At one point we were traveling at like 528 MPH and at 21,000 ft. It was great having the unit on while flying and I set a waypoint at the airport we were going to and I watched the distance count down as we got closer and you could look at the map and see where you were.

WOW! As each day passes it seems as though more and more arilines are prohibiting or restricting the use of GPSr's. What is going on here? Why just a couple of weeks ago, their use was virtually limitless. I think that we need an investigation. :P

Edited by Team Cotati
I have never had a problem with a GPS in my carry on or using it in flight (on Air Canada). I am a pilot myself and there is nothing a hand held GPSr does that will effect anything on the airplane. Back before panel mounted GPS were standard in airliners some pilots would bring a handheld GPSr with them on their flights. So there isn't really anything wrong with using a GPSr in flight but you might get a flight attendant that doesn't know what it is or just wants to enforce/make up rules.

Exactly...A GPSr is just a RECEIVER. There is nothing about it that will interfere with any airplane instrumentation. The restriction or ban on their use in flight is silly.

Exactly...A GPSr is just a RECEIVER. There is nothing about it that will interfere with any airplane instrumentation. The restriction or ban on their use in flight is silly.

Wasn't it discovered a few years ago that a CD player was messing up the navigation on a passanger plane? CD players arn't designed to transmit either.

<SNIP>

So who is going to tell American Airlines that the US goverenment is refusing to turn off their Global Positioning System when AA planes are in the air?  :o  I wonder if AA will have same problem with the Europeans and thier new satellite system?

I guess the same person can tell 'em that Sprint, Cellar One, T-Mobil, etc. aren't going to turn off their towers either. . . ;-)

<SNIP>

I have never, not to say that there aren't any, just that I have never see a consumer handheld GPSr that has been certified for airline use. Come to think of it I don't recall seeing any consumer electronics that state they are okay for airline use. That is why airlines have lists of okay and not okay electronics and why the lists vary from airline to airline.

The only reasons I can think you were told that instead of just a simple no was either the flight attendant didn't want to hurt your feelings by tell you, no. Or, they thought you might argue so instead of saying no they applied a redirection tactic.

Ya know that sounds like it's a lot more closer to the truth then most may realize. And it reminds me of something I read in 2600 a while back.

It seems a gentleman was reading an issue of 2600 on a plane and an FA walked by him and saw an article about "hacking passport" and called security on him. He was guessing that she thought that it refered to the hacking of passports that people travel on. When it was really about MS' Hotmail "passport."

I would have to think that sadly there are as many people who are as clueless to what a GPS is (and can do) as well as most consumer level electronics as there are who are as clueless as to what 2600 is and stands for. And just jump to erroneous conclusions. That "JUST" because it is something that they don't understand that it is somehow "BAD" and needs to be "locked" away. So as to keep the "good" people "safe. . ."

United has had a long-standing rule that passenger use of GPS receivers is allowed above 10kft *provided* that they comply with FCC limits for Class B digital devices. 

United definitely does not have a long standing rule allowing GPSr units. I was told, in February and in March by different flight crews, that they were not allowed.

Best practice here is to ask your flight attendant to ask the captain for you. If you are polite, they will return fairly quickly with an answer. Just don't be too dissapointed if the answer is no.

Yes, they do, and it has been in place since at least 2000 although I've also run into the occasional flight crew that was misinformed about their corporate policy. United's policy specifically calls for the FCC Class B compliance which is indicated by the FCC logo shown at the top left corner of this website:

http://www.gmcompliance.com/marks/fcc_mark.html and is found on the back label on most (all?) handheld GPS receivers.

As to the best practice, I see no particular reason to ask for special permission for my GPS receiver any more than I do for my laptop, PDA, or similar electronic devices. If asked to turn off any electronic device I may produce some documentation indicating the airline policy and ask them to reconsider, but I'll immediately turn it off if the flight crew still requests it.