Getting From Dc To Philly

Eswau

Next month we will be driving from NC to Maine. We have a stop in Gaithersburg MD so I can do the Project APE cache. After (if) I find that cache my next stop for the night will be next to the Philly airport (business meetings). Should I just cross my fingers and take I95 or can somebody suggest a "better" way? We'll be driving this leg on a Sunday.

Thanks again for the help,

Eswau

You should have very little, if any problem, doing this (Gaithersburg to Philly) on a Sunday. From Gaithersburg take 270 south to 495 east to 95 north. The Philly airport is directly off of I-95 so it should be a straight shot. Should only take you about 2.5 hours.

Although - one thing to look out for - I don't know what time of the day you plan on doing it, but check the Baltimore Orioles schedule for that day - if they have a home game, there may be heavy traffic on I-95 northbound in Baltimore for about 90 minutes prior to the game. Sunday games are 1:30-ish.

If you're in no hurry that day, there are plenty of more scenic routes to go, though, if you wanted to make a nice day of it.

When you get to the Wilmington, Delaware area, I-95 will split off to New Jersey to I-295, just past that move over to I-495 to go around Wilmington. I merges back again just below the PA/DE border. Its a prettier drive and eventhough its the weekend, there will be less traffic. Philly airport is up a bit further on I-95.

You don't say what day of the week you're travelling, and whether you're interested in getting there the fastest route, your tolerance for tolls, etc. I say that because there are a couple of options to get around New York City. I travel I-95 to CT a couple of times a year, and to me its nickname is the Highway of Perpetual Construction.

Next month we will be driving from NC to Maine. We have a stop in Gaithersburg MD so I can do the Project APE cache. After (if) I find that cache my next stop for the night will be next to the Philly airport (business meetings). Should I just cross my fingers and take I95 or can somebody suggest a "better" way? We'll be driving this leg on a Sunday.

Thanks again for the help,

Eswau

We got stuck in very heavy traffic coming back from South Jersey last weekend. Around exit 7 it was very slow going. This was at 7-8PM time frame though. If you expect to hit the Jersey Pike at evening time you will be sitting. In fact you should probably expect it further north as well. If you want you can jump on the Garden State Parkway or 287North and take it to the NY State Thruway over the Tappan Zee Bridge into CT. But you will probably sit there also for quite awhile being that the Summer traffic will be in full swing by then. I'd say you should probably pack your meditation tapes and your squishy stress reliever ball for this one.

On the other hand you might fly right up here. :blink:

We got stuck in very heavy traffic coming back from South Jersey last weekend. Around exit 7 it was very slow going.

Its worse on the weekends, all the shore traffic and Great Adventure traffic. That's why I asked about the travel plans.

Rte 130 is a great alternate to get around the Turnpike between exits 7 and 8a. Use your mapping software to build a route around it. From the south, take exit 7 for Rt 206, hook up with Rt 130. From the north, take exit 8a, go west a little and pick up Rt 130.

Tappanzee/Cross Westchester/I-684/I-84/Mass. Pike/I-95 is also an alternative to getting too close to NY city when travelling to Maine.

You don't say what day of the week you're travelling, and whether you're interested in getting there the fastest route, your tolerance for tolls, etc. I say that because there are a couple of options to get around New York City. I travel I-95 to CT a couple of times a year, and to me its nickname is the Highway of Perpetual Construction.

We'll be travelling on a Sunday. I don't mind tolls but do hate the thoughts of sitting still on the interstate. We do have some time to allow for not the most direct way.

Thanks again to everyone for the help-

Eswau