Mugglers Beware

Waterboy

In an effort to deter vandalism at geocaches we have enlisted the aid of security officers. The attached photo shows one of these officers patrolling near our Eagles Nest cache. Notice the camouflage uniform. Be warned, these officers are armed to the teeth.

6145148a-3eb2-4e35-b278-5c388d3d6186.jpg

If you are interested in a position on a cache at other locations in the northeast, please email resume to Waterboy With Wife.

Or for that matter, this lovely thing was inspecting cachers near the Tribute to Daniel cache in the Frederick area. Came right up to me and asked what I was doing hanging around the fence :ph34r:

fd990e65-80e0-40fb-ae87-41a829979859.jpg

I think I could handle running into one of these. I don't ever want to meet any of those snakes up close. :unsure:

What's with calling them "Mugglers"? the correct term is "Muggles"

I think they mean those who would "muggle" or destroy caches. Hence "Mugglers".

Well, "Muggler" sounds too much like "Mugger" to me. I for one wouldn't want to visit a cache if "Muggers" have been in the area.

Muggles, on the other hand, are just "non-cachers". Not all non-cachers do bad things to caches.

What's with calling them "Mugglers"? the correct term is "Muggles"

I think they mean those who would "muggle" or destroy caches. Hence "Mugglers".

Well, "Muggler" sounds too much like "Mugger" to me. I for one wouldn't want to visit a cache if "Muggers" have been in the area.

Muggles, on the other hand, are just "non-cachers". Not all non-cachers do bad things to caches.

Muggler is a reference to a non-cacher who has 'muggled' a cache... hence they are a muggler. Since they were the ones who muggled a cache.

Rowling

Muggler or mugger, the point was the humerous fact that they posted a rattlesnake as a guard for the cache.

Edited by BMSquared

One of these "Security Officers" mistook me for a "Muggler" last weekend while I was looking for one of dobsonian's new caches near Lake Hopatcong. I have a snake bite about 3" above my ankle.

Ironically, it wasn't recognized until yesterday. I distinctly remember the pain of the bite but wrote it off to being poked by a stick or branch after jumping down off a rock. I didn't hear or see anything. It's been aggitated all week but I remember my son identifying we were in the middle of a field of poison sumac and thought that was why it was still burning. When it was looked at, sure enough it was a snake bite.

Sneaky little buggers aren't they? :unsure:

Edited by Team Rampant Lion

Interresting facts about Timber Rattlers I read here...

Facts About Rattlesnake Bites[\b]

Death due to a rattlesnake bite is unlikely; only one rattlesnake bite fatality has been documented in Wisconsin since 1900. Timber rattlesnake bites in Wisconsin have averaged one every four years in recent history (1982- 1997). Five additional bites have occurred as the result of intentional handling of rattlesnakes, with 80% of these involving the abuse of alcohol. Rattlesnakes can control the injection of venom when biting; up to 60% of all poisonous snake bites to humans are "dry," containing no venom.

This thread is getting interesting.

TRL, are you OK? Any symptoms? I would think that a large snake would have gotten your attention a little. Maybe a juvinile?

Peconic - I never heard of that before. That is a really cool factoid. I love the "alcohol related" foolishness.

Since my experience at Return to Rocky Mountain, I am seeing snakes everywhere..even in the shower. Now I find myself looking forward to winter.

This thread is getting interesting.

TRL, are you OK? Any symptoms? I would think that a large snake would have gotten your attention a little. Maybe a juvinile?

Yes, thanks for asking. The bite site is still swollen and regularly "warm" (a burn sensation which is why I thought it was poison sumac or ivy). Other than that, I am fine.

My guess, is that this was a small, non-poisonous snake. I probably put my big foot in his living room and he wanted to show me e didn't like it. Scary to think of the potential to put my foot where a bigger, poisonous relative might live. :anibad: