Question Re: Pocket Queries

Hoppingcrow

A Pocket Query is a file of geocaches that are determined by criteria that you set. For example it can be all the caches within a set distance from your home, that you have not found, that are multicaches, etc. etc. ..... It a great time saver instead of downloading caches 20 at a time.

I believe all of the Etrex series including the Summit will accept downloads, that is that cache coordinates (waypoints) can be uploaded from a computer to the GPSr (and visa versa).

The Pocket Query also contains all the information necessary to put the information into a Palm or Pocket PC.

If you have a Palm, or Pocket PC, it sure saves on ink and paper to have the information at hand like that. Using the available software, you have a way to enter the data about your finds, such as the time you found the cache, how long you hunted for it, and what you traded.

Although it took me a while to figure it out, and although I'm still a beginner, I'm finding GSAK to be invaluable for manipulating the data I get from my several different Pocket Queries.

A pocket query is a customized list of geocaches that you can have emailed to you. Let's say you only want to find caches rated 1.5/1.5 or lower within 50 miles of your house. You can set up a query which will email you a list of only these caches in a file. Then you can use free EasyGPS software to download the waypoints to your GPS all at once, instead of entering each cache one at a time.

I'm a little confused about the Summit download issue though. The basic etrex, which is the same thing without the altimeter, I believe, accepts waypoint downloads from a computer. I looked on the GARMIN website and the specs for the Summit show that it has a serial interface - buy the PC cable accessory and you'll be able to download waypoints from your computer to the GPS.

The Pocket Queries contain a whole lot more information than just waypoints, though. If you have a PDA (like a Palm Pilot) you can get free software that will take the information in the Pocket Query and create tiny web pages with the same "look and feel" of the geocaching.com website, right in your hand. You can store hundreds of cache pages in the PDA, you can read the cache descriptions and decode the encrypted hints right there while you are caching. No more printouts (and no more $35 ink cartridges). And you can update the information in the PDA each week when a fresh Pocket Query arrives.

HTH

Mine is a VERY OLD Summit. No, it does not accept downloads, but the two of us are old friends and we've gone a lot of places together (long before I knew about geocaching), and I have no intention of replacing it until it goes gunnybags. That said, I'd still like to know if I can do anything with Pocket Queries, and if so, how.

You could use the Pocket Queries for the cache information on a Palm or Pocket PC, if you have one, or covet one.

You could have information for hundreds of caches in the Palm and if you found yourself in a different area, you could do a search on it and get the coordinates to a nearby cache/caches and enter the coordinates from the Palm into your Garmin and off you could go.

Mine is a VERY OLD Summit. No, it does not accept downloads, but the two of us are old friends and we've gone a lot of places together (long before I knew about geocaching), and I have no intention of replacing it until it goes gunnybags. That said, I'd still like to know if I can do anything with Pocket Queries, and if so, how.

I'm certainly not positive but my Dad has a 6+ year old summit and it accepts downloads - he just had to go purchase a cable. I think yours can download (unless it is even older).

If the Summit you are talking about is the Garmin eTrex Summit, then you can infact send waypoints to it (you can also retrieve waypoints, tracks and routes from the unit).

I got the eTrex Summit just after it came out. It uses the same (Serial) data cable as the other eTrex models. The difference is that the Summit did not come with a data cable where as the newer eTrex seem to.

http://www.gps-planet.com/etrexdatacable.html <-- that is the cable you need.

Also, if your GPS is that old, I would suggest buying the cable and going to www.garmin.com and downloading and installing the newest firmware updates for the unit.

If you just want to download waypoints to your GPS, I suggest using the EasyGPS software. http://www.geocaching.com/waypoints/default.aspx

As for Pocket Queries, others have answered the question of what they are, why they are nice, and how to use them.