Members Only Cache Hides

Well this is our 2nd year of geocaching. GREAT fun. So we've basically found all the "public" caches around our area and thought we mize as well become official Geocaching Members so we paid our membership and thought there may be some "members only" caches hidden around the area. Can't seem to find a single one (even in the entire state of Minnesota). It says there's a special "members only cache" icon that is suppose to appear...but appear where? Or are we not looking in the correct spot for member only caches? Did the standard seek command and entered our zip code but nothing new appears other than the 30 we've found to date. Any suggestions or advice? Thanks.

Ripplingh2o & Peanut

Northern Minnesota

Individual cache hiders can decide whether they want their caches to be member's only or not. MOCs will have this icon: small_profile.gif.

Since you are a premium member, you can run a pocket query to filter out the caches you want to see.

If the only reason you got a premium membership is to find Members only caches...you're likely to be dissapointed. Pocket queries are probably the best use of a premium membership.

As far as how to see the Members only caches, they are included in the regular listings, they are identified by a small black icon that looks like the sillouette of a person from the shoulders up.

You can do a pocket query and limit it to members only caches of you want.

I haven't run a pocket query of my area yet, but I'm pretty certain that members only caches are relatively few and far between. We have one in our hometown, but that's the only one I've ever seen. As BadAndy said, the real value in being a premium member lies in utilizing the pocket query function, as well as the feeling of contributing to the pasttime we love. If you want to see what they look like, go to the main "Hide & Seek A Cache" page, and type in the zipe code 86301. There is a members only cache located about halfway down the first page called "In Like Flinn".

There have been a couple of MOC in my neighborhood. They have disappeared; I assume the owners defaulted them to regular caches. I think I logged one of them while it was still a MOC; because I have a large number of unfound caches in my vicinity, I don't know if I ever found the other one.

Personally, I see very little use for MOC, unless, of course, you do. :huh:;)

I've done that. I make all my new caches members-only until after FTF. Its my own little way of rewarding those who help support the website.

I've made a few caches members only for a time, let the hardcore have a go at them, and once because I had a very special travel bug and I wanted to limit the cache to members til it had been moved. I've got 3 members only caches right now - it IS kind of cool to see who's looked at the cache. With Members Only caches theres an audit log that lets you see who has looked at the cache & how many times.

... so we paid our membership and thought there may be some "members only" caches hidden around the area. Can't seem to find a single one (even in the entire state of Minnesota).

A pocket query will show that there are 27 Members Only Caches in the State of Minnesota right now.

With Members Only caches theres an audit log that lets you see who has looked at the cache & how many times.

I didn't know that (would be a cool feature to have on all caches). :huh:;)

When a cache is on member's only status, there is a link up in the top right hand corner used to access the audit log.

... so we paid our membership and thought there may be some "members only" caches hidden around the area.  Can't seem to find a single one (even in the entire state of Minnesota).

A pocket query will show that there are 27 Members Only Caches in the State of Minnesota right now.

To expand on that, the one nearest mountain iron is 95+ miles south.

Its (GCH20J), all the other MN MOCs also are south of you.

I've made a couple of my caches MO to give them a little added protection from being muggled. By the time a cacher springs for a membership, they have usually learned to be discreet and rehide a cache well. Besides that, it encourages more people to become members and support the game that has provided me with so much fun the last couple of years. :blink: You don't have to see that "server too busy" page too many times before you know they need it!