Camo A Cache And Keep It Watertight

I have a cache that's been out almost a year. I hid it among some concrete blocks but it was muggled. I then camo'd a new flat tupperware container with a thin layer of driveway patch over everything but the lid. It was moved to a nearby spot under a bush and it was turned bottom up where I wanted it to look like a piece of discarded concrete. This worked pretty good but the patch began to flake off after a few months. Last month I did exactly the same thing except reinforced the patch with screen and provided a better way to support the patch on the tupperware. It "feels" much better, still has a very low profile and I thought I had the problem licked. But after checking on it this week I found out water can enter and it's getting that yucky mildew smell. I think the weight or strain of the concrete patch has warped the container.

An ammo box would be too tall even on it's side. I wish I had one about half the width of a 20cal box.

Here's what I think I need: A shallow dish type cache container which will remain water tight when placed lid down. Metal or stiff plastic perferred.

Any ideas?

Major Surplus

I got some containers at Major Surplus. They are heavy gage aluminum, shaped like a tuna can, but larger, about 4.5 inches in diameter. They have a twist lid, rubber seal, interior volume is equal to a decon container (poured water from one to the other to test volume.) These are so strong you can step on them. I had one out on the ground, as a cache, all winter and it stayed dry inside. I do not see these on their web site, but in their current paper catalog, they are at the low price of 12 for $9.95. They were originally $1.95 each, still a bargain.

I will try to post some photos. They are called German Army butter cans. The ones I got look new and unused. I can ship you one if you send me something interesting... or postage.

Edited by EScout

The Lock & Lock containers seem to be gaining a lot of popularity around here, and time will only tell if they last. They've got a couple things going for them. They're cheap, and come in a variety of sizes. And they too can be cammo'd.

I painted this one with Krylon Fusion paint first, then added the rest of the stenciling. This will be my first go with a Lock & Lock, we haven't actually found one around here yet, but I hear good things ;)

locknlock.jpg

Ohgr

They've been out in the field in NZ and Australia for a few seasons and survived well.

There are some fairly flat ones that might well suit.

Apart from that, have a look at fisherman's tackle trays. I picked a couple up at a discount place for a few bucks and it passed the 'overnight in the pool under a brick' test! They usually have internal dividers, but you could cut those out if you like.

The ones I got are about 25 x 20 x 4cm (sorry, dunno what that is in inches or cubits or other archaic systems!) and have three locking pieces and a long hinge.

The Lock & Lock containers seem to be gaining a lot of popularity around here, and time will only tell if they last. They've got a couple things going for them. They're cheap, and come in a variety of sizes. And they too can be cammo'd.

I've had Lock n Locks that leaked. Also the tabs can come off after a while which will make them virtually useless. That being said, they're better than 90 percent of the plastic containers out there and cheap too.

Major Surplus

I got some containers at Major Surplus. They are heavy gage aluminum, shaped like a tuna can, but larger, about 4.5 inches in diameter. They have a twist lid, rubber seal, interior volume is equal to a decon container (poured water from one to the other to test volume.)

do you have a direct link to the product? I was not able to find it even after searching their site for butter can.

I had a direct link that was a couple of months old, but it does not now work. I live close to the store in Gardena, CA so I go to the store instead of online.

Also, ammo cans there are $2.95 for 30 cal, sometimes on sale for 5/$10. 50cal are $4.95 or 3 for $14.

I've had Lock n Locks that leaked. Also the tabs can come off after a while which will make them virtually useless. That being said, they're better than 90 percent of the plastic containers out there and cheap too.

It's true, over time of being opened and closed over and over again, the tabs snap off. I think that it took one of mine about a year in a heavily trafficked area to fall apart. Then I stopped using them for a while. But now I realize that they are so wonderful that it is worth it to have to replace them once and a while, so I have been puting them back out again.