Best Gps

hello,

what would everyone say is the best gps ? I am just getting into this and have a garmin etrex but would like to upgrade to a better unit.

thanks

Well from the Lowrance camp, the "best GPS" meaning their top-of-the-food-chain models are the iFinder PhD (and soon to be released PhDc color variant) which along with all the other bells & whistles available on the market also incorporate an MP3 player & audio recorder.

Their other "best GPS" would be the iWay 100m (and soon to be released color 200C) autorouting/rerouting models that have voice prompt capability, the only GPSr's that can do that & still have rugged outdoor capability.

Take your pick on which "one" is best ;)

What have we here? a can of worms? let's open it and see what pops out! J/K ;)

Like the others have said, there is no best, just the one that suits your needs best and you can work with the best. I rave on about my 60cs, but I am aware that there are others that can do the job as well or better.

Without a quote on how much you want to spend on a unit, that can be a problem.

Starting out with an expandable system, you can get a Meridian Gold with a 256 meg SD memory Card, then later get Mapsend Topo, then Mapsend Direct Route.

list of MeriGolds as low as $189

Or you can get a whole system at once, like a Garmin GPS 76C with City Select, and Garmin Mapsource TOPO. with this setup, it is easy to switch back n forth between TOPO and City Select, to set waypoints, and to do GOTOs.

Some people will buy a whole setup, then use it for a few days, then toss it into a closet, so maybe just starting out with a Meridian Gold would be the cheap way to test the waters, then go out and get the accessories for it.

Edited by GOT GPS?

The question of the ages. I don't think the best gps has been made yet BUT they are trying with each new gps they update. Like brands of cars we are loyal to the brand we happen to own. I have never had a problem with my Garmin and have used them for 7 years or more. I would probably stick with the top two brand name gps units. Good Luck

team sidewinder