Missing Link

Red_Cedars

I've lost a link to a page that I found quite useful. It was a utility for looking up benchmarks by just typing in the PID. Some one posted a link to it here in the forums a while back and darned if I can find it again. (I use a shared computer at work and my bookmarks got lost during a recent shuffle.)

Anyone still have it bookmarked and can post a link again, I'd really appreciate it.

R_C

I can't find the link either, but I'm pretty sure I've got what you're looking for. I uploaded it to my webspace here. Just save it to your computer and then you can add it to your bookmark list.

I wouldn't recommend bookmarking my URL, because I don't plan to keep it there permanently.

Edited by gnbrotz
Well, that's not what I had, gnbrotz, but it IS what I'm looking for. B) Thanks. Now can I add that to my own webspace? It's a handy little form.

R_C

Sure, you can add it there if you'd like. I didn't create it, but it was posted in these forums for us to use.

You don't need to put it on your webspace to make it work, just on your hard drive somewhere, with a shortcut on you bookmark list.

I wish I could give credit, but I don't recall who turned me on to this idea. Please step up and take a bow, because it's a great timesaver.

I have a couple of bookmarklets (?) that sit on my toolbar. I use the excellent Firefox browser. Here's how they work, and then how to install them.

By clicking on the toolbar, a small pop-up box asks you to enter the PID, and then you are taken immediately to the NGS or Geocaching page for that particular mark.

(1) Select Manage Bookmarks from the Bookmarks menu.

(2) Select New Bookmarks from the icon at the top of the window. You will get a pop-up box.

(3) For Name, enter NGS PID. You can change this later if you prefer.

(4) For Location , copy the following code: javascript:void(str=prompt('PID:',''));if(str){location.href='http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/ds_mark.prl?PidBox='+escape(str);}

(5) Click OK.

(6) Repeat the procedure to create a second bookmark, but this time the Name will be Geocaching PID, and the Location will be javascript:void(str=prompt('PID:',''));if(str){location.href='http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.aspx?Pid='+escape(str);}

(7) Clock OK.

(8) Move the two bookmarks you just created to a folder called Bookmarks Toolbar Folder. You may have to create the folder, but I think it's there by default.

(8) Close the Manage Bookmarks window.

Your browser should now have a couple of links just below the left and right navigation arrows and above the main browser window which will bring you nearly instantly to the correct NGS and Geocaching pages for the PID of your choice.

-ArtMan-

If you don't mind, I borrowed the idea and put a slight variation of it on my web site.  See useful tools.

Gee you're good!

One suggestion, though, for users of Mozilla, Firefox, Opera and other browsers that support tabs, any way of opening the second page in a second tab, rather than in a completely separate window?

I wish I had some programming skills....

-ArtMan-

PS - a belated tip o' the hat to Zhanna, who is the person I wanted to credit.

One suggestion, though, for users of Mozilla, Firefox, Opera and other browsers that support tabs, any way of opening the second page in a second tab, rather than in a completely separate window?

I wish I had some programming skills....

-ArtMan-

PS - a belated tip o' the hat to Zhanna, who is the person I wanted to credit.

I use an extension for Firefox called "Tabbrowser Preferences" which gives you much more control over tab/window settings than the standard interface.

Artman,

Mozilla made it hard for programmers to open pages in new tabs, so there's no easy, reliable way to do that as far as I've discovered.

Red_cedars,

Hitting enter should now do the find.

BDT,

I added buttons for the geocaching log form and NGS recovery forms.

Artman,

Mozilla made it hard for programmers to open pages in new tabs, so there's no easy, reliable way to do that as far as I've discovered.

Red_cedars,

Hitting enter should now do the find.

BDT,

I added buttons for the geocaching log form and NGS recovery forms.

Good job! I think that one is my favorite as it brings up the NGS sheet as well as the GeoCaching page. ;)

R_C